follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #57
Darth Khan
I think therefore.....

Drives: Toyota 86 860 Halo White (Manual)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
What the hell has this thread turned into?

I think the points are:

1) An all-season, even a UHP, is not going to compare to a Max Performancr summer tire in terms of sportiness, most of the time. People like to compare some of the new UHPs to them, but I think most would find that there is a large gap in terms of performance between the two, and they aren't substitutes.

2) Tire pressures are important in setting up how the car will perform and feel. I experienced this in autocross yesterday. On my first run, I was running 37 front and 36 rear. The car was very loose (oversteery). I dropped the rear down a few PSI and there was instantly more grip in the rear. It felt much more planted and stable. The high pressures up front kept the sidewalls stiff which made steering feel noticeably more direct.

3) Do not set your tire pressure to the PSI on the sidewall... Start with something close to the stock 35 front 35 rear and play around with it.

I'm sorry you just made a bunch of common sense and logical statements which obviously combines intellect with experience.

I have no choice but to berate and chastise you with the completely illogical and uncommon sense of a 5th grader.
ApexEight (09-25-2017), why? (05-27-2018)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #58
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
>__Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (91W Speed Rated)__<

Bottom line, for now, I am stuck with these fucking pieces of shit...LOL.

Maybe I'll buy another Toy/Sub car with OE tires for dry day driving...OR do a little better research before buying tires next time.
I did a LOT of research before choosing these after my PSS's. Other than posts on the internet that said, "The PSS's are better" with no other details, everything else I read made it sound like they were close to each other and some guys "may" notice a difference in handling and feel. The Corvette threads were the most missleading.

These tires don't even compare to PSS's. Not even close. If I were someone else and had happened on this thread after my first post after slapping them on, I would have found the comparison gold I was looking for and would have paid the extra $12 each for the PSS's. Live and learn.

I seem to give good reviews. I once bought a set of led bulb replacements for my FR-S and they turned my high beams from spot beams to flood lights. I wrote a three paragraph negative review that, point by point, brought out every plus and minus of those lights. It was so revealing that the company offered to give me a full refund and I could keep the bulbs if I would simply remove my review. I did.

I should do that for a living.?

And PSS's are AWESOME in the rain. In the snow and ice I drive a different car...

Last edited by LotsaMiles; 09-25-2017 at 08:59 AM.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
why? (05-27-2018)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #59
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
What the hell has this thread turned into?

I think the points are:

1) An all-season, even a UHP, is not going to compare to a Max Performancr summer tire in terms of sportiness, most of the time. People like to compare some of the new UHPs to them, but I think most would find that there is a large gap in terms of performance between the two, and they aren't substitutes.

2) Tire pressures are important in setting up how the car will perform and feel. I experienced this in autocross yesterday. On my first run, I was running 37 front and 36 rear. The car was very loose (oversteery). I dropped the rear down a few PSI and there was instantly more grip in the rear. It felt much more planted and stable. The high pressures up front kept the sidewalls stiff which made steering feel noticeably more direct.

3) Do not set your tire pressure to the PSI on the sidewall... Start with something close to the stock 35 front 35 rear and play around with it.
I agree, except for one thing:

Before my post about my new tires, none of the posts here from people with experience with both tires clearly stated that and gave specifics. What is odd is that I could find not posts about the steering feel difference (which is huge) but only some traction stuff. People seem to have a hard time getting to the point for specific situations. And I'm not really interested in "all season tires are not as sticky as summer tires" catch all phrases. This thread is about particular tires and should have information about THOSE particular tires.

It's really hard to find good reviews, I'm discovering. They exist, but are not common. Those of us that have experience with the 3+ an PSS's (or similar) need to let people know that they do not even compete with the PSS and explain WHY. What specific things are different.

I did notice the 3+ are a bit quieter and comfortable, which I couldn't care less about... If I did I'd just get some nice, soft 60 series tires...
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (09-25-2017), ToySub1946 (09-25-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #60
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
how could you even consider an all season tire to be close to a poor tread wear 60 degree F only semi racing tire for racing?

Compared to the OEM stock summer tires, the Michelin AS 3+ are supposed to be better in every regard, from mileage, comfort, handling, cornering, and noise. That is about it. I dont know why this thread even exists as max performance 200 dollar tires by name brand will always do better than all seasons for burning around in a hot environment.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #61
RickyRacer

Drives: 13 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
just mounted my brand new 0818 pilot sport as3... limited km so far but they seem great!

RickyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #62
JMon85

Drives: 2019 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All depends too on conditions u plan on operating in.. from experience these A/S 3+ will grip in <32F hell even in 10F they had no issues, but on a day when its >90F they are trash.
JMon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #63
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Let it die...
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
why? (08-20-2018)