follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #3165
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
They moved to a MoTeC unit, so I I question what's going on with the stock ECU and the gains...they had already said they were facing regression issues on the stock unit.
Why was no one else having regression issues?

Bill, mike, and bob seem to be doing just fine.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #3166
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Why was no one else having regression issues?

Bill, mike, and bob seem to be doing just fine.
You should be asking "why didn't anyone else report regression issues?"
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-03-2014), Dimman (02-03-2014), wparsons (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #3167
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
What regression issue... Please fill me in. As in the ECU is slowly going back to an older state? or what?
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #3168
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
They moved to a MoTeC unit, so I I question what's going on with the stock ECU and the gains...they had already said they were facing regression issues on the stock unit.
They are doing both, more than doubling their tuning development time. They didn't abandon using ecutek with the stock ecu. They aren't just doing a glory tune they are producing a tune (for each) that is for distribution. So just getting numbers is not the point. It has to be safe and repeatable performance.

We aren't just waiting on the testing of a header. We are waiting on the development of a header as well as two tuning solutions for multiple exhaust configurations. All while the third party doing it is splitting time on a dyno while fulfilling other obligations for his tuning business.

It's just going to take time. Will I be disappointed if I get my header before I see numbers? Sure, but I will be far more excited to have it regardless.

I know they have already verified it makes great gains without a tune at all. I wish at least that info was being shared, but I'm not gonna wish in one hand and shit in the other just to see which fills up first.

They wouldn't have started selling if they had any doubt about the results. They've spent too much time developing and watching interest grow to do anything less than deliver results.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #3169
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
I'm not looking to start another war here, but maybe because no one else was having them?

@jamesm @mad_sb. I'm not trying to drag you in to anything, but have either of you had issues with runes "regressing" back to stock after only a few dyno pulls? I know the other guys can't post here due to their vendor status and the whole "stay out of other vendors threads.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #3170
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
What regression issue... Please fill me in. As in the ECU is slowly going back to an older state? or what?
Yes. Let me try to find his post.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #3171
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not looking to start another war here, but maybe because no one else was having them?

@jamesm @mad_sb. I'm not trying to drag you in to anything, but have either of you had issues with runes "regressing" back to stock after only a few dyno pulls? I know the other guys can't post here due to their vendor status and the whole "stay out of other vendors threads.
Were the regression issues with ecutek or motec? I seem to remember them only tinkering with motec at that time, but I'm not certain. Perhaps that is one delay with the dyno figures. Wouldn't be good for them to say here is the performance on ecutek and not show motec if they want to sell any motec stuff.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #3172
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
They are doing both, more than doubling their tuning development time. They didn't abandon using ecutek with the stock ecu. They aren't just doing a glory tune they are producing a tune (for each) that is for distribution. So just getting numbers is not the point. It has to be safe and repeatable performance.

We aren't just waiting on the testing of a header. We are waiting on the development of a header as well as two tuning solutions for multiple exhaust configurations. All while the third party doing it is splitting time on a dyno while fulfilling other obligations for his tuning business.

It's just going to take time. Will I be disappointed if I get my header before I see numbers? Sure, but I will be far more excited to have it regardless.

I know they have already verified it makes great gains without a tune at all. I wish at least that info was being shared, but I'm not gonna wish in one hand and shit in the other just to see which fills up first.

They wouldn't have started selling if they had any doubt about the results. They've spent too much time developing and watching interest grow to do anything less than deliver results.
Your last sentence is what worries me most...
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #3173
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:

I have not, other than long term trims stacking up for fuel, iam, etc.

Quote:
Were the regression issues with ecutek or motec? I seem to remember them only tinkering with motec at that time, but I'm not certain. Perhaps that is one delay with the dyno figures. Wouldn't be good for them to say here is the performance on ecutek and not show motec if they want to sell any motec stuff.
Stock Ecu EcuTek Tune by @johnbradley

IIRC the issue was with the first pull after a flash, the torque dip would be gone. The next pull on the same tune and every pull after the dip would be back to some extent in a small area. I suspect that, at the time, @johnbradley did not have much time under his belt with one of the twins. I would imagine he has more time with them now. Regardless, i think the plots they posted were with the "regression".

Im curious to see the difference betwen stock ecu tune results and stand alone tune results....
Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #3174
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Found it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1215

Read from page 54-56 if you want the full story

Quote:
It was with Ecutek at the time. They were starting to contemplate motec because of issues they were having with the Ecutek.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #3175
nelsmar

Quote:

I had street tuned someones car and he drove on it for 2-3 days before goign to the dyno. After that he put down mid 190's WHP. After a few quick flashes just smoothing the fueling out the power was nearly the same, so if regression from a few pulls is what someone is talking about I don't know what they are talking about since I would have seen a power "gain" from flashing the rom with almost no changes. There are a lot of tables in this ecu so it is possible something was forgotten if they were getting regression.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #3176
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I had street tuned someones car and he drove on it for 2-3 days before goign to the dyno. After that he put down mid 190's WHP. After a few quick flashes just smoothing the fueling out the power was nearly the same, so if regression from a few pulls is what someone is talking about I don't know what they are talking about since I would have seen a power "gain" from flashing the rom with almost no changes. There are a lot of tables in this ecu so it is possible something was forgotten if they were getting regression.
It was odd, but I recall other tuners at the time saying something about it as well. They didn't outright say they were having regression issues, but that after a few pulls power wasn't as strong. Not outright gone, just not as much as the first few pulls. IIRC it wasn't attributed to heat either which is what I would expect on a dyno.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #3177
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
I know an issue @JuniorAWD found early on was a radio check box for debug mode. It would look like he was adjusting timing and everything was going in fine, but the only setting that would change on the car was the fuel mapping.

Once he figured that out it was smooth tuning from there. Maybe that was the same issue? It was the first twin he was working on after all.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #3178
nelsmar

Quote:
It was odd, but I recall other tuners at the time saying something about it as well. They didn't outright say they were having regression issues, but that after a few pulls power wasn't as strong. Not outright gone, just not as much as the first few pulls. IIRC it wasn't attributed to heat either which is what I would expect on a dyno.
I remember an article of a specific tuner that said somethign like this a while ago. Also the ecu isnt in full ready state the moment it starts. I don't know specifically what triggers the cam tables but there seems to be a timer or ready check somewhere beyond the triggered IAM table. So if you do a pull fairly shortly after flashing (1-2 minutes) it will use the high det table, and a few pulls later it will activate the low det table and your cam timing changes. There are other tables with similar situations. And if you are on the dyno with fuel trims enabled this could be causing similar issues.

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag