follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
hawaiiansuprstar

Drives: 2014 Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Issues with Bluetooth and no audio?

I've been experiencing an issue when playing music from my phone wirelessly thru bluetooth in the FRS. I want to say it started when I completed the iOS8 update on my iphone. Everything will display on the screen: Song, Artist, controls [play, pause], etc., but there's no sound. The music is playing [minutes in song are displayed as playing], but absolutely no sound. I have tried restarting my phone, reconnecting my phone to the car, and nothing seems to be working. If I connect my iphone with the USB, then the music will play, no problem. It's weird.

I have read some forum posts on apple.com, and it seems to be somewhat of a known apple issue with other different cars that have bluetooth capability. It was mentioned in several posts that the dealership can't do anything to fix it because its a software phone issue. I'll more than likely schedule an appointment to have it looked at anyways since my car is still covered under warranty.

Anyways, just posting to see if anyone else seems to be experiencing the same and/or if there's a fix to my issue.

Thank you!
hawaiiansuprstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
./shrug
I'm an android guy, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that apple would break Bluetooth compatibility on the flag ship products.
try downgrading back to iOS7?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
./shrug
I'm an android guy, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that apple would break Bluetooth compatibility on the flag ship products.
try downgrading back to iOS7?
no easy feat to downgrade as of iphone 3/iOS 5x, chipset in the phones write to a permanent signature so even with a factory restore, the phone is forced to update to the latest iOS signed update or newer :'(

Any apple super users who know more or can refute this please chime in because I am wondering if this holds true to new gen phones
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
ThreeEyedCrow

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've had this issue happen a few times to me. I've got a HTC One. And I've got the base head unit. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong but the Bluetooth audio on the phone itself was being muted. Don't know how or why but that's what happened to me. The only way I got it to work was to unpair it from the car and pair again.
ThreeEyedCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeEyedCrow For This Useful Post:
Chimera (12-29-2014), kch (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
quality_sound

Drives: '15 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know it's a different HU but iOS8 didn't affect anything in my BRZ.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pairing... Pairing.. Did you unpair and re pair after the os update? Might help? Delete the original Pairing from the hu and try fresh?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
hawaiiansuprstar

Yes, I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the phone from the HU. Still won't work. I have an appointment Friday, so I'll update the thread once I know more.

Thank you guys for trying to troubleshoot this issue with me.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
hawaiiansuprstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiansuprstar View Post
Yes, I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the phone from the HU. Still won't work. I have an appointment Friday, so I'll update the thread once I know more.

Thank you guys for trying to troubleshoot this issue with me.
So, total noob/operator error. Lesson learned: Make sure the volume on your phone, once connected is turned up. Toyota wouldn't even help me troubleshoot other than send me to Verizon to have them help me with my problem. And they did, so it works as it once did.

Thank you again to those that tried to help me out.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
jogrre

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Still a good post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiansuprstar View Post
So, total noob/operator error. Lesson learned: Make sure the volume on your phone, once connected is turned up. Toyota wouldn't even help me troubleshoot other than send me to Verizon to have them help me with my problem. And they did, so it works as it once did.

Thank you again to those that tried to help me out.
I’ve had my frs since 2013 on Bluetooth iPhones the whole time and last week was the first time for me- no iOS update or anything. Really had me going until I read this- thanks!
jogrre is offline   Reply With Quote