follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #71
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '06 Cayman S, '92 DB2 GS-R
Location: NC
Posts: 2,213
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 1,123 Times in 660 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This is (hopefully) good news. But it does ask several questions. I think much will be answered when we get firm pricing for the new Supra. Because at the moment this is what I'm assuming:

GT86: $25,000 - $33,000
Supra: $35,000 (4cyl) - $50,000 (6cyl)

Where would a hypothetical MR2 fit in here? If it were an ultralight with a simple 120-160 hp engine I could see it fitting in below the GT86 in price and performance. As for Celica...the world definitely needs more liftback coupes, but I feel like that's way too much overlap with the GT86.

Another option I could see is the Supra being priced from $40-55,000, and the revised 2nd gen GT86 getting a bit more power and moving up market a little, say around $5,000. So roughly $30,000 - $40,000. That would make a lot of room for a 3rd sports car, Celica or MR2.

I'd love for the MR2 to be an Alpine competitor but price-wise I think that would compete directly with the Supra.
__________________
'06 Porsche Cayman S
'13 SWP BRZ-L - Innovate Stage 1, Nameless over & down pipes, RevWorks UEL Header - RIP, claimed by VIR T10

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-26-2018), VenomRush (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #72
daiheadjai
Senior Member
 
daiheadjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2003 S2000
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,784
Thanks: 1,962
Thanked 976 Times in 589 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
with an AWD Celica GT4 makes sense to partner with Subaru again.

now a MR2 is interesting. Lotus, Honda, and Mazda would all make good joint ventures with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMExg3vnYGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RcyRYVa6U&t=650s
Oh please let it be Mazda....
Maybe Toyota can do what they couldn't: Make rotaries both reliable and less thirsty.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #73
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor
 
VenomRush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: So Cal
Posts: 946
Thanks: 57
Thanked 77 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
This is (hopefully) good news. But it does ask several questions. I think much will be answered when we get firm pricing for the new Supra. Because at the moment this is what I'm assuming:

GT86: $25,000 - $33,000
Supra: $35,000 (4cyl) - $50,000 (6cyl)

Where would a hypothetical MR2 fit in here? If it were an ultralight with a simple 120-160 hp engine I could see it fitting in below the GT86 in price and performance. As for Celica...the world definitely needs more liftback coupes, but I feel like that's way too much overlap with the GT86.

Another option I could see is the Supra being priced from $40-55,000, and the revised 2nd gen GT86 getting a bit more power and moving up market a little, say around $5,000. So roughly $30,000 - $40,000. That would make a lot of room for a 3rd sports car, Celica or MR2.

I'd love for the MR2 to be an Alpine competitor but price-wise I think that would compete directly with the Supra.
I believe the Supra's low end price will end up being in the 50-60k's, so maybe an mr2 with two possible engine options could be 35k and 40k.
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #74
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,181
Thanks: 50,761
Thanked 80,467 Times in 36,249 Posts
Mentioned: 2087 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomRush View Post
I believe the Supra's low end price will end up being in the 50-60k's, so maybe an mr2 with two possible engine options could be 35k and 40k.
Who know what car prices will be in another ten year when and if they ever build it.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #75
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '06 Cayman S, '92 DB2 GS-R
Location: NC
Posts: 2,213
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 1,123 Times in 660 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The Supra's pricing won't be anywhere near the BMW M2's or Cayman's. Because really, that's worse than foolish.
__________________
'06 Porsche Cayman S
'13 SWP BRZ-L - Innovate Stage 1, Nameless over & down pipes, RevWorks UEL Header - RIP, claimed by VIR T10

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #76
fang_gt86
FR Noob
 
fang_gt86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: FR-S
Location: DFW
Posts: 791
Thanks: 212
Thanked 613 Times in 318 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Oh please let it be Mazda....
Maybe Toyota can do what they couldn't: Make rotaries both reliable and less thirsty.
Subaru! Mid engine MR2 with the 2.2L Boxer (FA22?). True cheapman's Porsche haha
__________________
"I'm having too much fun to care about horsepower" - Unknown

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fang_gt86 For This Useful Post:
VenomRush (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #77
Sasquachulator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2016 Scion iM, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 362 Times in 228 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
The Supra's pricing won't be anywhere near the BMW M2's or Cayman's. Because really, that's worse than foolish.
They're not going to be able to sell it at a significant discount either because its still 90% BMW unless the BMW price is inflated by quite a large margin.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #78
serialk11r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Drives: 2000 MR2 Spyder
Location: United States of America
Posts: 5,092
Thanks: 254
Thanked 885 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't think the MR2 is happening, it would definitely have to cost more than the 86. Very few people would buy such a thing, which makes the chassis naturally expensive. Which is a shame, because Toyota has upped its engine game a lot, and I think the Dynamic Force 2.0 with minor tweaking (think ND2 Miata) would be worthy of an MR2.

Since Honda also said baby-NSX or bigger S660 aren't happening, I'm waiting for the next gen Lotus, and hoping it is slightly more reasonable to repair and insure than the old ones. I just need to have enough money to throw away when it comes out...
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (09-26-2018), Tcoat (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #79
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor
 
VenomRush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: So Cal
Posts: 946
Thanks: 57
Thanked 77 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
Subaru! Mid engine MR2 with the 2.2L Boxer (FA22?). True cheapman's Porsche haha
https://youtu.be/HNlmqi0Fuag

Dreams can come true :P
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car: Why the GT86 is the spiritual successor to Toyota MR2 Hachiroku Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 81 10-10-2012 03:26 AM
Toyota Supra Successor Rumored on BMW 6 Series Chassis Ae86 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 0 09-01-2012 09:59 PM
Supra's successor?? vaporiz Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 49 05-09-2012 07:51 AM
The Real S2000 Successor S2KtoFT86 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 10 02-12-2010 02:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.