follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
declivity

Drives: WRB BRZ Premium 6sp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Potential New Owner Here

I'm moving to NYC this fall to finally start working after spending what feels like an infinite amount of time in school. Thinking about taking advantage of the grad discount and picking up an FR-S, but I'm a little wary of having to park it. I plan on living in Astoria and hopping on a train into Manhattan for work, so I hopefully won't have to move it too frequently.

Can anybody tell me if it's reasonable to expect to be able to park on the street in Astoria? I don't really want to wait to get there to figure all this out, so I thought I'd introduce myself and see if I can pull the trigger on this sooner rather than later!

(Fwiw, I know other people have mentioned parking in Queens, or even in Manhattan, in some other posts, but I'm more concerned about this particular area, so hopefully this isn't viewed as being too redundant!)
declivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If you're willing to take a little time, you can find parking in Astoria. Sometimes it's a bit of a battle, but that's just part of living in a city.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you are parking on the street you have to be OK with knowing you will be getting plenty of bumper scratches from careless people. I have had numerous and had my car broken into. My uncle had his car hit and run while parked. He ended up renting a parking space since he lives there, I just commute. Now I park in a garage $7 a day.

That wouldn't stop me from getting it, but if you are one of those people that flips if someone breathes near their car, you are going to have many sleepless nights.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
#87 hit the nail on the head. If you want to garage it it will be a few hundred per month, not to mention the city isn't exactly fun for a car with stiffer suspension. Then again, I'm a suburb kinda guy so that's just my opinion. Queens isn't as bad as Manhattan, but its not a walk in the park either. If you can wait to see how the roads and parking are that would be best. Basically figure out where there are spots and when, alternate side cleaning rules, etc... Unless you are traveling out of the city often, a car isn't really necessary and has its downfalls.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
declivity

Drives: WRB BRZ Premium 6sp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool, thanks for the responses. I think I'll wait until I get there. Guess I'll have to stick with reading the forum and going on some test drives.
declivity is offline   Reply With Quote