follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection

Inspection includes a test drive, which should be around 10 miles. It's just standard practice and something Toyota expects the technician to do as part of checking the car to make sure there are no squeaks, rattles or driveability issues with the car. The dealer should have a standard test-drive route that includes varied road surfaces, etc., that cars get taken on every time.

Warranty or not, Toyota wants to make sure nothing is wrong with the car before the customer gets it, not fix things afterward.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lange For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
taosracer
Frickin' Genius

Drives: GBS BRZ 6sp, 2002 ts wagon WRX swap
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofsuffering View Post
LOL 10-12 miles! What the hell for? I will have a warranty for anything that is wrong with the car? Do they need to ensure that it doesn't suddenly explode at the 10th mile? I could understand a quick drive around the block to ensure something isn't majorly wrong, but a dealership taking it on a 10-12 mile joyride is ridiculous!!.....especially when it is a car that was preordered with a deposit. Why would I need and "ALL System Go" from some stranger....even if he was a tech?

Refreshing to hear that you have that much confidence in automated and robotic assembly to trust that everything will function safely right off the assembly line.
taosracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taosracer For This Useful Post:
Jeff Lange (05-14-2012), Subie (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #31
houseofsuffering

Drives: 2013 M/T Limited WRBP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosracer View Post
Refreshing to hear that you have that much confidence in automated and robotic assembly to trust that everything will function safely right off the assembly line.
Heck yeah I do!! I trust that the robots, assemblers and QA guys at the Gunma Subaru plant shipped out a drive-able and quality product. One that doesn't need to be test driven for 10-12 miles by some guy in america before it's "deemed" safe for my purchase.

I've owned many a Subaru and seeing how the cars are being made in a
Subaru Facility.....I trust in my experience with Subaru quality.
houseofsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think you're being overly paranoid. Not that I don't understand where you're coming from -- I've owned two Evo IXs, both of which had 4 miles on them when I said yes -- but it's really not that big of a deal. AWD rally cars with ~300 hp is a different story though, compared to a RWD coupe with 200 hp.

Having worked at a dealership before myself, most brand new cars will have around 4-5 miles on them. But having something between 6-10 miles on the odometer isn't too bad. At worst, it may have been ONE test drive, maybe even by someone at the dealership, and it's not as if people who work for a Subaru dealership (which likely has a surprisingly significant chunk of cars with manual transmissions) can't drive stick. But also, most Subaru dealerships aren't all that large, so it's possible that some cars are stored offsite and driven back and forth as needed. Even Fletcher-Jones Mercedes, said to be the largest dealership in the U.S. (or at least that's what I heard), does that, as we did a fundraisder through them once where they paid us to move cars.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
houseofsuffering (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
Droopy
FWES racer, R FT drifter

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Soon to be FR-S
Quote:
Did you even read my original post?
here are some pics of my old car.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/cars-sal...mited-ugm.html

the bottom pics are of my "2 year" old car before I sold it....as it was what I considered "dirty".
If you consider that dirty then DAM,

anyways ill add to purchase experisence, my father got his 02 3500HD Chevy with 316 miles on it.
1. drove from another dealer
2. drove to the sign shop to apply family farm and race team logos
3. the techs drove it around some (we know they told us and we saw them drive it)
Honestly, we was proud that they drove it around some, it shows that you have a car/truck that people like and would like to own themselves (including the Techs)

thats my .02

I WILL GET my Ultramarine MT FRS.....someday
Droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Droopy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
huma

Drives: ITR
5-7 miles is average. If there was more I wouldn't want to purchase that vehicle.
huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I can tell you that on my FR-S, the dealer rolled it off the truck, drove it across their lot to the detailing shop, and drove it in/out of the showroom. It had 7 miles on it when I test drove it with the sales manager to fill up the tank across the street.

I am relatively confident it was not driven before that by the dealership. I've seen at least one other FR-S delivered with the exact same mileage on it.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
houseofsuffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Meh. My GTI had a little over 200 when I got it. That was to be expected though, as it was driven here from another dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
I'll add to the purchase experience list: My MkVI GTI had 11 miles on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
I've owned two Evo IXs, both of which had 4 miles on them when I said yes -- but it's really not that big of a deal. AWD rally cars with ~300 hp is a different story though, compared to a RWD coupe with 200 hp.

Having worked at a dealership before myself, most brand new cars will have around 4-5 miles on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
If you consider that dirty then DAM,

anyways ill add to purchase experisence, my father got his 02 3500HD Chevy with 316 miles on it.
1. drove from another dealer
2. drove to the sign shop to apply family farm and race team logos
3. the techs drove it around some (we know they told us and we saw them drive it)
Honestly, we was proud that they drove it around some, it shows that you have a car/truck that people like and would like to own themselves (including the Techs)

thats my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
5-7 miles is average. If there was more I wouldn't want to purchase that vehicle.
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I can tell you that on my FR-S, the dealer rolled it off the truck, drove it across their lot to the detailing shop, and drove it in/out of the showroom. It had 7 miles on it when I test drove it with the sales manager to fill up the tank across the street.

I am relatively confident it was not driven before that by the dealership. I've seen at least one other FR-S delivered with the exact same mileage on it.
So it seems that 5-7 miles is the average on a BRZ/FR-S that just rolled off the Truck.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #37
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
First 86 FR-S in Brandon, FL had 6 miles on it as well.

The lowest I've gotten with a new car was 8 miles on my S2000. My GS-R had 13.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
..The lowest I've gotten with a new car was 8 miles on my S2000. My GS-R had 13.
Lowest I've had was 4 miles on my MK1 MR2 but I literally took it right off the truck. I was in the dealership when they brought the truck in and drove it from the truck to the shop.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lowest I've had was 4 miles on my MK1 MR2 but I literally took it right off the truck. I was in the dealership when they brought the truck in and drove it from the truck to the shop.
Nice. I've never been there for the offloading but the S2K did have all the wrapping, spring spacers, etc still in it when I first saw it so it definately wasn't test driven yet. The GS-R was.. partly by me. I actually can't remember what it had pre test drive. It may have been lower as well since I do recall a more lengthy test drive with it.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #40
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
... One that doesn't need to be test driven for 10-12 miles by some guy in america before it's "deemed" safe for my purchase.
No offense, but your opinion isn't going to change how many miles your car shows up with. You're always free to reject the car if the odometer number isn't to your preference. Just know that your fears or paranoia, while understandable, are obviously not based on a whole bunch of new-car experience. Ideals are often much different from reality, and it sounds like your STI experience is on one end of the bell-curve distribution.

To date I've taken delivery of 9 brand new cars [never been test driven] of varying countries of origin and the lowest mileage was 6, the highest 15. This jives perfectly well with everyone else saying about 10 miles is typical.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #41
houseofsuffering

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Nice. I've never been there for the offloading but the S2K did have all the wrapping, spring spacers, etc still in it when I first saw it so it definately wasn't test driven yet. The GS-R was.. partly by me. I actually can't remember what it had pre test drive. It may have been lower as well since I do recall a more lengthy test drive with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaquestion View Post
When I got my 09 Civic DD, it has .2 miles. When I test drove it, the sales guy has to take the plastic wrap off it.
Next time I talk to the sales lady at my dealership, I'm going to tell her that if its possible I want to be notified when the car arrives on the truck. I am close to the dealer and can just walk out of work at the drop of a hat. Her and I have already made plans to have the financing worked out before the car arrives, and I plan on having the insurance ready beforehand too!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
houseofsuffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
No offense, but your opinion isn't going to change how many miles your car shows up with. You're always free to reject the car if the odometer number isn't to your preference. Just know that your fears or paranoia, while understandable, are obviously not based on a whole bunch of new-car experience. Ideals are often much different from reality, and it sounds like your STI experience is on one end of the bell-curve distribution.

To date I've taken delivery of 9 brand new cars [never been test driven] of varying countries of origin and the lowest mileage was 6, the highest 15. This jives perfectly well with everyone else saying about 10 miles is typical.
After all the actual "BRZ/FRS" experience responses it seems a few people have been getting their BRZ/FRS's that are still in the plastic with about 6-7 miles. I will have no problem accepting a car that has anywhere from 6-9 miles on it, anything over that and I'm going to start having second thoughts......

I realize that different car companies and different countries have different procedures with the way they handle their cars prior to delivery. Were any of those multiple cars that you bought a car that you personally went down and ordered in your name with the exact color and options you wanted? I think that is probably what makes this whole ODO miles such a big deal to me. The BRZ that is coming is my BRZ, I ordered it and picked the color and options. I want as many as possible of those first few miles to be mine and I don't want someone else joyriding "My" damn car just cause they can get away with it. Hell, I trusted enough in Subaru to decide to go and preorder a car the first year of production! I'm not some "Joe Blow" walking off the street getting talked into buying run of the mill civic sitting on the lot that they need to ensure doesn't break down on the way home.....I don't need my dealer taking "MY" car on a 10-12 PDI. They can drive it a mile or so if they must! But I will be damned if they are going to take it on a 10-12 mile joyride.

I think its safe to say that we are all "enthusiasts/car guys" that are perfectly capable of handling any minor mishaps from the factory...........I don't get why some of you are so insistent on some stranger driving your car for 10-12 miles before he gives the dealer the OK to sell you the car.