follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #6343
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
8.83 fixed the issue where the engine would bog down (rpms drop dramatically) when taking off normally (daily driving). The rpms would dip real low when releasing the clutch pedal and giving it gas (normal take off from stop).

The issue with the bucking remains for me. It does it between 2k and 3k like others have said. I'm using stock everything. Flex fuel kit from DT but using 93 oct right now. Stage 2 sprintex with pulley that came with intercooler upgrade (75 I think)
Would you mind sending a log that I can look at. Being your car is stock it would be nice to see what might be the cause of this.

And just for the hell of it, I drove my car around to try and duplicate the issue, now that it is on my mind and I can not make any sort of hesitation happen between 2K-3K. Exact setup right now is as follows.

Stock exhaust
69mm Pulley
FlexFuel Tune (E16 right now)
AirAid Intake
Oil Temp was 80C+

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #6344
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Would you mind sending a log that I can look at. Being your car is stock it would be nice to see what might be the cause of this.

And just for the hell of it, I drove my car around to try and duplicate the issue, now that it is on my mind and I can not make any sort of hesitation happen between 2K-3K. Exact setup right now is as follows.

Stock exhaust
69mm Pulley
FlexFuel Tune (E16 right now)
AirAid Intake
Oil Temp was 80C+

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Thanks for the reply Bill. I've never taken a log before. Do I need to drive a certain way or do anything in particular?
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:52 AM   #6345
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
If you can log idle, and cruising while still warming up and also log it while warm. Then next would be a log of WOT between 2-3k RPM.

Thank You,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #6346
cshearer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - Sprintex SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to be clear on something . When I am talkingabout going WOT under 3,000 RPM I am indicating that I am depressing theaccelerator far enough to engage the actuator valve and start boost (2/5 or so of WOT). I am not necessarily mashing the pedal to the floor. So I amhaving a lot of trouble driving the smoothly car because getting up to 3,000RPM out of boost is fidgety and often I end up in boost and the car bogs. Ihave only been driving it supercharged for 1.5 months and am still trying tofigure out how to drive it smoothly. I see 3 ways to accelerate: 1) Baby it and follow the up shift arrows and itis fairly smooth but very slow. 2) Fastest Acceleration - Rev it to 3K+ RPM in first and drop theclutch, then keep it north of 3K RPM for all future shifts. I don’t do this toooften but it seems to work ok 3) Moderate (In between 1 and 2 above) acceleration is the tough one. If Itry to moderately accelerate and get to 3K RPM before going into boost or WOT I find it often goes into boost and bogs/surges before I get to 3K RPM and is very rough.Also, if you need to accelerate quickly to pass a vehicle and you are below 3Kit almost seems that a downshift is the only way. For those that have beenusing this supercharger longer, any suggestions for a smoother ride formoderate acceleration? Maybe I am missing something. I hope so because this is getting frustrating.
cshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #6347
brianhj

Went to lunch earlier at work and was able to replicate the issue. Wasn't logging though. It was around 2k rpm in 3rd or 4th and pressing the gas (not even WOT) causes the car to lurch multiple times. I replaced plastic fittings with brass and checked all my hose clamps. Only thing I haven't done is spray fittings with electronic cleaner as mentioned earlier in thread.

I'll get a log soon
Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #6348
vaderbloke

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Initially I had some serious problems with the actuator over-centering at times which meant it was opening when it should be closing. The result was that the car was almost un-drivable at times. Adjusting the position of the dash-pot fixed it. Now it's really smooth with Bill's latest tune. I will try and dig up some pictures if you think this may help.
vaderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaderbloke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #6349
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderbloke View Post
Initially I had some serious problems with the actuator over-centering at times which meant it was opening when it should be closing. The result was that the car was almost un-drivable at times. Adjusting the position of the dash-pot fixed it. Now it's really smooth with Bill's latest tune. I will try and dig up some pictures if you think this may help.
I had the same problems until I had to replace my actuator as well. I also have Bills tune, and I can say that I can reproduce the issue but only on a completely cold motor on a colder morning (50 - 60 degrees). Usually I can just be gentle with it until the temp gauge is up - then I have no problems. 8.83 version, flex fuel, around e78 this morning.
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #6350
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderbloke View Post
Please look for pics

Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #6351
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I second that, please find those pictures.

I had the bad hesitation coming up off idle when taking off from a stop, and 8.83 seems to have fixed that.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #6352
vaderbloke

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Please look for pics

Thanks
Here they are. The over-centered position could be activated just by sucking on the vacuum tube. I adjusted the position of the dash-pot using the slotted bracket so that this could not happen. Difficult to describe, but pretty obvious in practice. BTW the plastic nipple on the dash-pot is incredibly fragile. Mine was broken on delivery

Correct
Name:  CorrectSmall.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  206.8 KB

Over-Centered
Name:  Over-centeredSmall.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  201.9 KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vaderbloke For This Useful Post:
brianhj (05-13-2015), mikalem (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #6353
brianhj

I broke that plastic nipple installing the kit. It's in a really bad spot. Sprintex sent me a new bypass valve assembly and I installed it
Old 05-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #6354
SprintexUSA

Drives: 2014 FT86
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
We're addressing that...
Attached Images

SprintexUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SprintexUSA For This Useful Post:
brianhj (05-13-2015), CK_Bladesmith (05-14-2015), DieselDog (07-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #6355
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Can someone explain this over center thing? As soon as I start my car it goes in that position in the second photo. In the post above. Is that normal. The reason I ask is I replaced the actuator myself and wanted to make sure I didn't do something incorrect
Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #6356
vaderbloke

Garage
It's very easy to install the unit so that it over centers the first time vacuum is applied. The cam moves in a clockwise direction as vacuum increases (lower pressure). It should return in an anticlockwise direction when going into boost, but if overcentered it continues in a clockwise direction. This is exactly opposite of what is needed. I am by no means an expert, just my experience

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.