follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #99
SLICVIC

Drives: 2006 STi
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLP-HCcX9as"]The 450 HP Crawford Performance Turbo BRZ - TUNED - YouTube[/ame]

high faith in these fa20s, but a LS swap is pretty cool
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #100
PowderfaceTr.

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
DOHC on the left, LS1 on the right. Which one is really bigger?
The 4.0 is out of a Lexus, the LS1 is in 29 different GM vehicles worldwide.
Both engines were part of the " top 10 best engines " in 1998&1999

PowderfaceTr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #101
Siberian Husky

Drives: 72 240z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
With FA20s making more power on boost than is really useable on the street, what's the point? Beyond impressing people in the parking lot, you're pretty much left with a car that handles worse, sounds (and revs) like a pickup truck and gauged that don't work.

Maybe I just don't get it, but there's just no real good reason to swap out a perfectly good, modern, fairly amazing engine (FA20) for a 50 year old truck engine. Yes yes I know, it's the aluminum corvette version, but have you ever driven a corvette? They're awful cars, in large part due lazy-feeling pushrod dinosaur under the hood . That's just now what these cars are all about...
I'm not sure if you're trolling, or if you truly are that much of a weeaboo fanboy.

The Corvette has been and will always be one of the best performance bang for your buck. The pushrod technology may be old in design, but it is a tried and true method for delivering high displacement power in a relatively small unit. LSX series are no slouch engines, and if you've ever truly driven an LSX car you'd know that. I will also go out on a limb and guess that the LSX power train weighs in very closely to our beloved fa20's.

Shitty posts like this make me really hate this forum. I love my FRS, but there is so much pseudo-tuning science and japanese **** riding here.
Siberian Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Siberian Husky For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (12-24-2013), Jose_Timberlake (04-09-2015), JTM (12-26-2013), Mikem53 (10-28-2013), Rampage (09-08-2013), Shoebox (09-07-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #102
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Husky View Post
I'm not sure if you're trolling, or if you truly are that much of a weeaboo fanboy.

The Corvette has been and will always be one of the best performance bang for your buck. The pushrod technology may be old in design, but it is a tried and true method for delivering high displacement power in a relatively small unit. LSX series are no slouch engines, and if you've ever truly driven an LSX car you'd know that. I will also go out on a limb and guess that the LSX power train weighs in very closely to our beloved fa20's.

Shitty posts like this make me really hate this forum. I love my FRS, but there is so much pseudo-tuning science and japanese **** riding here.
Lol ok. I bought a corvette (c5) a few years back with the intention of building a kit car out of it (never did actually build it) and it was a piece of crap. Basically a $45k cavalier with an aluminum truck engine. They rev slow, feel lethargic and are a 'great performance bargain' because they're cheap. Not inexpensive, but cheap. The switchgear is the same as in every other mid-90s GM econobox. It's a parts bin car.

My turbo fr-s on 6psi barely tuned is more entertaining than the corvette with it's 350ci of inefficient suck. 350ci to lay down a whopping 290whp. Yeah, pushrods are awesome, go team a'murika. No wonder Ferrari, Lamborghini, f1 teams all still use pushrods... Oh wait, they don't.

Let me guess, the mustang has a solid rear axle because its awesome too, right?
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Flasher (06-22-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #103
Shoebox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Lol ok. I bought a corvette (c5) a few years back with the intention of building a kit car out of it (never did actually build it) and it was a piece of crap. Basically a $45k cavalier with an aluminum truck engine. They rev slow, feel lethargic and are a 'great performance bargain' because they're cheap. Not inexpensive, but cheap. The switchgear is the same as in every other mid-90s GM econobox. It's a parts bin car.

My turbo fr-s on 6psi barely tuned is more entertaining than the corvette with it's 350ci of inefficient suck. 350ci to lay down a whopping 290whp. Yeah, pushrods are awesome, go team a'murika. No wonder Ferrari, Lamborghini, f1 teams all still use pushrods... Oh wait, they don't.

Let me guess, the mustang has a solid rear axle because its awesome too, right?
Lol I can't tell if your taking trolling to another level either. If you were half educated about any ls motor, you would know that it isn't a 350ci lol. That actually is an old truck motor. If you had one of those in there then you got raped with no lube when you got your c5
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #104
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderfaceTr. View Post
DOHC on the left, LS1 on the right. Which one is really bigger?
The 4.0 is out of a Lexus, the LS1 is in 29 different GM vehicles worldwide.
Both engines were part of the " top 10 best engines " in 1998&1999

Everyone shows this or similar. The DOHC in this shot is fully dressed, the LS has no accessories. Unfair.

300lb over stock isn't bad for a racecar level of power/weight, though. You could always vee/rear mount the radiator, too, as well as adding a fuel cell and rear-battery conversion, for better weight distribution.

It won't ever be the same animal (you're losing the CoG, angular moment will be higher too) but I can see a lot worse things to do.

Like a 1UZ, which has all its valvetrain weight up high, sorry to say. The FA20 wins because its valvetrain weight is lower than even Corvette's. But the LS motors excel at keeping their weight both down and down low, for a vee configuration engine, with half the valvetrain weight underneath.

EDIT; Worth noting that engine was out of the following;
LandCruiser, Lexus "Safari" (whatever the lexus landies were called in your market) Lexus SC400, Lexus LS400, Celsior (not quite an LS400), Soarer (Jap market SC400), and I'm pretty sure one or two others-- they're quite common.

Last edited by Nezz; 09-07-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: more info
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #105
userjack6880

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Guys, I want to buy a second FR-S/BRZ/86 just to do silly stuff to it now. I got the FR-S for the boxer and the fun, balanced drive, but the appeal of a stupidly powerful variant... oh my.
----------------------------------------------
userjack6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #106
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by userjack6880 View Post
Guys, I want to buy a second FR-S/BRZ/86 just to do silly stuff to it now. I got the FR-S for the boxer and the fun, balanced drive, but the appeal of a stupidly powerful variant... oh my.
The sad part is that we don't know the limit of the chassis.

I mean this as in no info is really shared, we know there are a few cars running 2JZ's that are running a bunch of horsepower, but these are basically drift cars/drag ponies.

But what about those building track monsters? Some even argue that more then 300HP will ruin the car. Perhaps the balance of a heavy LS engine tips it off too much?

That's what i'm waiting for, proof of what the limits of this car are. That will really prove how extensively engineering and well made the chassis is.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #107
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
The sad part is that we don't know the limit of the chassis.

I mean this as in no info is really shared, we know there are a few cars running 2JZ's that are running a bunch of horsepower, but these are basically drift cars/drag ponies.

But what about those building track monsters? Some even argue that more then 300HP will ruin the car. Perhaps the balance of a heavy LS engine tips it off too much?

That's what i'm waiting for, proof of what the limits of this car are. That will really prove how extensively engineering and well made the chassis is.

The ls motor is actually surprisingly lite. I know that in my s14, the ls1 actually weighed marginally less than the stock ka24 that came out. That motor is out right now because I wanted moar powaa!!! And my pockets hate me for it -_-... Doing a 383 now. But I am thinking about doing just a simple ls1 with a cam and minor mods for the brz. Could make an easy 420-450whp and not be pushing the motor anywhere near its limits. I think the car should be able to handle that power on the track. It's n/a power so it's very predictable and controllable. My 240 was always easy to control. The brz has 18 years of engineering and tech on my 240. I can't see why it wouldn't be able to be fine with the power. I agree though, I want to see it proven.

Edit: also wanted to add that the 2jz is A LOT heavier than an ls
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #108
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
The ls motor is actually surprisingly lite. I know that in my s14, the ls1 actually weighed marginally less than the stock ka24 that came out. That motor is out right now because I wanted moar powaa!!! And my pockets hate me for it -_-... Doing a 383 now. But I am thinking about doing just a simple ls1 with a cam and minor mods for the brz. Could make an easy 420-450whp and not be pushing the motor anywhere near its limits. I think the car should be able to handle that power on the track. It's n/a power so it's very predictable and controllable. My 240 was always easy to control. The brz has 18 years of engineering and tech on my 240. I can't see why it wouldn't be able to be fine with the power. I agree though, I want to see it proven.

Edit: also wanted to add that the 2jz is A LOT heavier than an ls
2JZs are definitely heavier, but you'll definitely mung the balance with an LS to a degree as the FA20 is a very, very light motor. I'm looking forward to the FA22/FA24 that comes out when they update (it'll likely be more displacement as that's both cheap and light) to see what happens I must admit.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #109
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Lol I can't tell if your taking trolling to another level either. If you were half educated about any ls motor, you would know that it isn't a 350ci lol. That actually is an old truck motor. If you had one of those in there then you got raped with no lube when you got your c5
It had an ls1. The original, 350hp version.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #110
Shoebox

Quote:
It had an ls1. The original, 350hp version.
Ls1 is a 346ci. Completely different motor than the 350ci. Nothing is interchangeable. I'll give you that, I don't like base c5's. I would only get a c5z06. They are not too expensive these days. Mid 20's. the ls6 is pretty close to the ls1 though. Just different heads, cam, and intake manifold/tb are the major differences. Same bottom end
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #111
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezz View Post
2JZs are definitely heavier, but you'll definitely mung the balance with an LS to a degree as the FA20 is a very, very light motor. I'm looking forward to the FA22/FA24 that comes out when they update (it'll likely be more displacement as that's both cheap and light) to see what happens I must admit.
Ls1 longblock with all accessories weighs in at right around 450lbs. I read somewhere that all in all the ls swap is 80lbs more when it's all said and done. I've been looking at this stuff all week. I think it's a better alternative than going FI on the stock motor. After selling the stock motor and trans, the cost is not too much more and there are way more substantial power gains. Might do this around tax time next year. Just need to get my 240 driving again so that I have a car while my brz is down haha
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #112
fa5tco

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
weapons grade performance did the swap into a BRZ and the weight difference between the fa20 and the ls motor they used was 60 lbs. Thats not going to disrupt your precious balance some of you keep whining about.
fa5tco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fa5tco For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (09-08-2013), Shoebox (09-08-2013)