follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #113
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@HKSUSA View Post
HKS doesn't offer their S/C pulleys any other way. Doesn't matter if we're talking about the FR-S V1, V2, or V3, S2000, CRZ, 350Z - they ALL use the same 5-bolt pulleys.

The differences between the V1 and V2 kits are minimal; the V1 kit used the 7040 s/c and the V2 kit uses the 7040L - same blower, same output, but rotation and orientation is reversed for better packaging on the V2.
Scott, I am pretty sure my V1 kit used the 7040L blower, the pulley faces IN toward the engine. Are you sure the V2 rotates in the opposite direction? I was advised the 7040L I have waited weeks for, that wont arrive until well into Sept (which is the CURRENT production and therefore same as the V2) will work as a replacement. Does that mean that the replacement blower I was advised is the correct part is not???

I HOPE you are mistaken regarding the V1 and V2 blowers spinning in the opposite direction.

My concern regarding the pulley was a result of two different owners advising me their V2 units had a 1-bolt pulley mount BTW.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #114
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ohhhhh man this is real confusing.

hope my V2 holds up!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #115
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
ohhhhh man this is real confusing.

hope my V2 holds up!
I own a V1 kit purchased through @evasivemotorsports.com . I was advised prior to purchasing my kit because i was trying to decide between the V1 and V2 that the V1 pulley is currently that only kit to offer a pulley upgrade. so i chose the V1. i was also informed that the kit superchargers were the same because there is a v1 to v2 upgrade. so now im super confused as well... also i am still hoping to hear some word on what people did to solve their oil cooler issue with the turn indicator...
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #116
NLS8520

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
HKS doesn't offer their S/C pulleys any other way. Doesn't matter if we're talking about the FR-S V1, V2, or V3, S2000, CRZ, 350Z - they ALL use the same 5-bolt pulleys.

The differences between the V1 and V2 kits are minimal; the V1 kit used the 7040 s/c and the V2 kit uses the 7040L - same blower, same output, but rotation and orientation is reversed for better packaging on the V2. The inlet pipe on the V1 kit has a choked-down 90 degree turn right before the throttle body which isn't ideal. The packaging of the V2 kit allowed a straight shot into the throttle body for a little better performance. V1 > V2 upgrade? Because the s/c is mounted in a different location, the V1 / V2 S/C mounting brackets are very different. Also due to the different s/c location, almost all the piping (intake & intercooler) is different. So it could be done, but the only original V1 part you'd have left is the intercooler itself. Everything else would have to be replaced. And just to be crystal clear - both versions use the same 5-bolt pulleys.

V2 and V3 are very similar, V3 is just optimized to a whole different level. Most of the parts are the same between the kits (and there will be a very affordable V2 > V3 upgrade kit offered), the biggest difference between the two is the blower strategy. With the V3, we've actually slowed the blower down to flow more air with less pressure and less heat. Thus allowing for more aggressive ignition timing strategies, and thus, more horsepower. All the V3 details will be released (here) very soon. And yes, the V3 still uses the same 5-bolt pulleys
I have heard the V3 will be coming with a handheld tuner as well can you confirm? Would the V3 be able to be set up and tuned from the comfort of home/garage I'm assuming HKS's canned tune?

Last edited by NLS8520; 08-20-2015 at 11:43 PM.
NLS8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:13 AM   #117
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS8520 View Post
I have heard the V3 will be coming with a handheld tuner as well can you confirm? Would the V3 be able to be set up and tuned from the comfort of home/garage I'm assuming HKS's canned tune?
That tuner is probably the same one as the one that has been available from HKS Japan all along. Maybe there just wasn't English language support.

Either way ECUtek is the way to go. HKS support for things like that is rough in North America because you have to go through very few and obscure "Authorized" HKS Dealers if there's ever an issue. In the USA it's not horrible - here in Canada it's a nightmare unless you happen to be a very preferred customer of a certain business.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #118
blindfold

Drives: brz
Quote:
V2 and V3 are very similar, V3 is just optimized to a whole different level. Most of the parts are the same between the kits (and there will be a very affordable V2 > V3 upgrade kit offered), the biggest difference between the two is the blower strategy. With the V3, we've actually slowed the blower down to flow more air with less pressure and less heat. Thus allowing for more aggressive ignition timing strategies, and thus, more horsepower. All the V3 details will be released (here) very soon. And yes, the V3 still uses the same 5-bolt pulleys
I am very interested in the HKS supercharger kit however I do not understand how do you achieve compressing more air with less pressure and less heat if its the same 7040 unit? Thanks.
blindfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #119
HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindfold View Post
I am very interested in the HKS supercharger kit however I do not understand how do you achieve compressing more air with less pressure and less heat if its the same 7040 unit? Thanks.
Scott is at Formula D this weekend, so he can explain in more technical detail when he comes back. However, the V3 runs less pressure, but more volume.

The inlet pipe has a larger ID, allowing for more airflow, and the restrictor has been removed. The supercharger then does not have to work as hard to pull air in, so it can actually spin at a lower RPM and pull in more air because of the removed restrictions.

So the result is a supercharger that turns slower than before, which means it runs less pressure as well as generating less heat, but the volume of air is still more than before.

The lower supercharger RPM's are achieved by the V3 using a larger pulley than the V2 kit.
HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #120
HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS8520 View Post
The V3 will have an optional tuner from HKS that will have a couple pre-programmed tunes. It will also have the option for a custom tune, but that would need to be done by an HKS Pro Dealer.

Or if you already have tuning software such as Ecutek, you can get the V3 kit without the tuner and save a couple hundred dollars.
HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
NLS8520 (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #121
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
where can i purchase these larger restrictor plates??? or should i just remove mine? i have had no answer yet from HKS if they recommend removing it or not. i would like to have a larger restrictor plate for my smaller pulley "95mm".

also... the 95mm pulley says it produces 17psi in the box. doubt it but what is everyone else running and what psi do you achieve.

mod list:
HKS V1 GT Supercharger
HKS Type S oil cooler
Moto east flex fuel E85
DW65c fuel pump
FIC 660cc injectors
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #122
lgunnz

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86
Quote:

The differences between the V1 and V2 kits are minimal; the V1 kit used the 7040 s/c and the V2 kit uses the 7040L - same blower, same output, but rotation and orientation is reversed for better packaging on the V2. The inlet pipe on the V1 kit has a choked-down 90 degree turn right before the throttle body which isn't ideal. The packaging of the V2 kit allowed a straight shot into the throttle body for a little better performance. V1 > V2 upgrade? Because the s/c is mounted in a different location, the V1 / V2 S/C mounting brackets are very different. Also due to the different s/c location, almost all the piping (intake & intercooler) is different. So it could be done, but the only original V1 part you'd have left is the intercooler itself. Everything else would have to be replaced. And just to be crystal clear - both versions use the same 5-bolt pulleys.

I hope I don't come off as being aggressive, but that isn't my intent.

My problem with what you said in regards to the positioning of the V1 and V2 is that HKS sell an intercooler upgrade kit for the V1 that routes the piping in the same way as the V2 and allows for use of the stock airbox.

I'll have more information by the end of the year or beginning of next year as I plan to upgrade the pulley, intercooler, injectors, and run water/meth in my attempt to hit over 300whp.
HKS F-Con is: HKS V1 Supercharger: Tomei UEL Header: Tomei Overpipe: Trust/Greddy CS GTS Ver. 2 Exhaust: Airlift Suspension: Sard Seat Covers: Defi Boost Gauge: Innovate Wideband A/F Gauge: Ca-Fi Dashlinq4 Headunit: KM4SH #006: Tom's TN06 Wheels: Winjet Headlights: Tom's Tails: Beatsonic Shark Fin: Hood Struts

lgunnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #123
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The differences between the V1 and V2 kits are minimal; the V1 kit used the 7040 s/c and the V2 kit uses the 7040L - same blower, same output, but rotation and orientation is reversed for better packaging on the V2. ...
This is the serial # of the V1 SC. Note the "L" and the 5-bolt pulley mounting.

And here is my V2. The pulley is on the left (with the ruler) NO 5-bolt mounting.
Attached Images

Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #124
Lee

Drives: GT86
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EAd_PH-ADM"]GT86 Croft MLR Trackday 21/08/15 - YouTube[/ame]

Still going strong
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:
Coheed (08-27-2015), CxG (03-17-2016), Efferalgan (08-23-2015), Jetscape (09-08-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:11 AM   #125
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The last one out of 4 HKS SCs in Russia that I know died this week. V2. Went about 13000 km at 0.6 bar and stopped blowing after couple of weeks at 1 bar (14 psi). So far - best result for a HKS SC The owner is on this forum and probably will post details later.

P.S, Probably such remarkable longevity is thanks to no tracking/drifting unlike other cars with failed HKS SCs.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #126
craigpitts7

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Garage
Installed a few week back and tuned by Delicious Tuning.

Build link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93579

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0_n0H8R5lk"]HKS GT Supercharger v2 BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z28Gqk4dbV4"]BRZ HKS GT Supercharger Test Drive - YouTube[/ame]
craigpitts7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigpitts7 For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-11-2015)