follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #57
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pads are cheap and easy to replace.. Not so with tranny and clutch parts..
Best to lift off the gas, leaving it in gear.. THen putting it in neutral and use the brakes.. Of course rolling situations call for different measures.. But generally.. It's best to brake and not downshifting thru the gears.. That's generally speaking... It's a sports car.. So you should enjoy ALL of it!
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #58
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floggin Tires View Post
Yeah I noticed that,
I was being a hypocrite.
I apologize.

Yes, no reason in this car.
Thought about it three times before hitting submit.
Should of worded it correctly.

No point in having OP learning double clutch on a trans that has no benefit of doing so.

I figure let em learn when its needed, on what its needed.

I wasn't calling you out.
If that was my intent you would of been quoted.

Double clutching on a trans that is intended to,
or bandaiding one is where it should be.

I've encountered lots of folks that define Ignorant as Stupid.
That's why the dictionary was brought up.
I'll never make it through the whole book,
but I'll learn, everday.

I incorrectly worded my statement.
U
Thanks for clearing that up, I figured it was personal since I was the only one that brought up DC'ing. I personally enjoy practicing because it helps me feel more connected to the machine. It may not be necessary to do a lot of things car enthusiast do, but they do them anyways because we like to.

I am always open to learning or seeing another point of view, and lately I see so many posts that argue against something with no real foundation other than to disagree or troll, and it gets under my skin. Ignorance is the enemy nowadays more so than ever, but there's no way I'm reading the whole dictionary either, lol...
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Floggin Tires (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #59
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Downshifting fights crickets.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #60
Gilwith1l

Drives: stock brz. saving my money for ls1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
Downshifting fights crickets.
Is this true? Probably explains why my car doesn't have any crickets
Gilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #61
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilwith1l View Post
Is this true? Probably explains why my car doesn't have any crickets
Well yea cause your not rolling up idling it helps at the time... Lol but no I don't think it will help in the long run. Downshifted since day 1 and my crickets are evolving into a more robust species looking at world dominance now.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #62
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
Downshifted since day 1 and my crickets are evolving into a more robust species looking at world dominance now.
LOL at mutated crickets... My SRT exhaust keeps the crickets at bay until I park/idle... blip of the throttle shuts them up... LOL
Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #63
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
3 Questions I have:

1. Can I downshift rev match without heel and toe? For example, I am slowing to a traffic light holding the brakes, then I take my entire right foot off and quickly blip the throttle while downshifting and placing foot back on brakes?

2. When downshifting should I have my foot on the gas when letting out the clutch like I do when upshifting or can I just quickly let out the clutch while I have my feet on the brakes?

3. The throttle blip has to occur when the shifter is in neutral in between the 2 gears right?
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #64
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Brake pads are cheap and easy to replace.. Not so with tranny and clutch parts..
If you match your revs, there should be minimal wear on the clutch and transmission when downshifting. If you ride your brakes in neutral from 60 MPH to a stop, there is most definitely wear on the brake pads. Doing that regularly will wear them out quickly. I suspect I'm putting less wear on my car than you are on yours. Over time, I doubt I'll be spending any more money on repair and maintenance as a result of my driving habits than you will.

Furthermore, over the years there have been instances where being in gear and ready to accelerate has saved me and my car from damage. I drive defensively, meaning that I'm always preparing for whatever stupidity other drivers throw my way. The car doesn't handle as surely out of gear, and I would rather have the power and not need it than the other way around.

Besides that, I bought this car to drive. I don't consider coasting in neutral to be driving. But to each his own.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #65
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeveland View Post
3 Questions I have:

1. Can I downshift rev match without heel and toe? For example, I am slowing to a traffic light holding the brakes, then I take my entire right foot off and quickly blip the throttle while downshifting and placing foot back on brakes?

The whole point of throttle blip/rev matching downshift while coasting down is to slow down without using the brakes - a.k.a engine braking. You don't heel-toe because you are not trying to rapidly decrease your speed to be at the right rpms for quick acceleration out of a corner. By just letting off the gas, the car will slow down at a reasonable rate because of high compression motor and gearing. Bliping the throttle and shifting into next lower gear will further slow down the car as speed drops. Repeat the process until either you need to come to a complete stop while rolling in second (at which time you would use your brakes) or traffic picks up and you have no need for slowing down. You are only touch the brakes to slow you down when you are about to come to a complete stop at less than 15-20mph or you need to stop really quickly...

2. When downshifting should I have my foot on the gas when letting out the clutch like I do when upshifting or can I just quickly let out the clutch while I have my feet on the brakes?

You should not be upshifting with your foot on the gas... you need to drop rpms for upshifts not increase them. Having your foot on the gas will wear out the clutch disc/pressure plate quicker. For downshifting, yes you need throttle to get rpms up to the proper level for the selected lower gear...

3. The throttle blip has to occur when the shifter is in neutral in between the 2 gears right?

Kind of hard to blip the throttle while transmission is in gear...so yes, but you are technically not in neutral for downshift blipping...like headlikeahole eplains and reminded me in his post on next page; clutch in-> blip/change gear-> clutch out, in rapid order.
See responses in blue...I'm going to go out and take some driving video today for this...

Last edited by Vracer111; 04-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #66
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
If you match your revs, there should be minimal wear on the clutch and transmission when downshifting. If you ride your brakes in neutral from 60 MPH to a stop, there is most definitely wear on the brake pads. Doing that regularly will wear them out quickly. I suspect I'm putting less wear on my car than you are on yours. Over time, I doubt I'll be spending any more money on repair and maintenance as a result of my driving habits than you will.

Furthermore, over the years there have been instances where being in gear and ready to accelerate has saved me and my car from damage. I drive defensively, meaning that I'm always preparing for whatever stupidity other drivers throw my way. The car doesn't handle as surely out of gear, and I would rather have the power and not need it than the other way around.

Besides that, I bought this car to drive. I don't consider coasting in neutral to be driving. But to each his own.
I didn't suggest coasting from 60 in neutral. That's a ridiculous assumption on your part.
I leave it in gear and let the engine compression slow me down. As I'm coming to a stop I can feel the input and the output shafts as they unload and I just move the gear shift lever to neutral without using the clutch. I've been driving manuals for over 45 years without having transmission issues or replacing clutches.
Nothing wrong with downshifting and compression braking, I wasn't saying that.
Aggressive and competitive driving demand it!
Generally speaking.. Brakes are for slowing down and stopping..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #67
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeveland View Post
3 Questions I have:

1. The point of heel toe is that you can brake and shift at the same time. You don't NEED to heel toe.

2. No you shouldnt need to have your foot on the gas if you rev matched properly. Just give it a boot full of gas and lift the clutch out before the revs go back down.

3. No, clutch in, gas, clutch out. shift straight from one gear to another, no neutral.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #68
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
I didn't suggest coasting from 60 in neutral. That's a ridiculous assumption on your part.
Somebody up above did. Sorry, I sometimes have a hard time keeping straight who said what on a message board.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #69
swpbrz

Drives: swp brz limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you are getting anywhere close to the stopping power of your brakes by rowing down the gears to come to a stop your putting extra stress on the transmission. that through the laws of physics will cause more wear. That's just the way it is. There is no free pass in the real world. If theres a red light half a mile away go ahead and ease of the gas and let the engine do its thing. I wouldn't go out of my way to slam into a low gear and get some stopping power from engine in normal circumstances
swpbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swpbrz For This Useful Post:
FRiSson (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #70
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
I prefer coasting in gear and using the brakes when need be to come to a stop. For me this is the easiest method as I'm not really using much brakes as I let off the moment I know full well I'm coming to a stop, I'm not spending my time changing gears, being in gear means should I need an emergency maneuver I still have forward movement, and if need be use the brakes because brakes were designed to be consumables so I'd rather consume those than other items.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote