follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #281
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I've owned my FRS since 2014. I rented a CTR for 5 days. Here are my thoughts.

The CTR engine has gobs of torque, and the engine doesn't run out of steam too early like a lot of turbocharged engines. In stock form it has plenty of power to keep you happy on the streets. There are even times where it's hard to fully wind it out without risking a felony. The car handles amazingly well, even moreso considering it's FWD. I did notice a slight bit of torque-steer but it was minimal compared to cars like my old SRT-4. I never experienced any wheel hop either which was a nice surprise.

The visibility is decent, but the car feels big considering it's a civic. The seating position feels like an economy car, but the seats are great and hold you tight. I didn't really care for the touchscreen radio or the digital gauges. I prefer conventional gauges and knobs.

The car doesn't really make any sounds which is kind of disappointing but easily remedied with an aftermarket exhaust.

Honestly, my number one gripe with the car is the grinding gears which seems like a common problem for the car. Also, the exterior of the car is still not my cup of tea.

Overall I thought it was a great driver's car that can really do it all thanks to the 4 doors and hatch. To be honest though, I'd much rather have a gently used Chevy SS for the same money.
That's because it is big. It's the same size as the Accord from three generations prior. It's a very, very good car, especially at MSRP (or lower). My only gripes from when I had a week with it are that the stock wheels are ridiculous (you will get a bent rim, buy the Honda insurance), Honda's laggy infotainment system and the looks. It also has the usual FWD traction issues compared to AWD when launching in the snow, but that's not unique to the Civic.

The looks are somewhat remedied by getting it in black, but then you have a car that is an insane chore to keep clean.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #282
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I'm definitely keeping my eye on the refresh that has been testing at the tracks. It looks like it will be available in yellow finally.
Yellow is a nope for me lol.

Red though. Now that's a colour.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #283
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
That's because it is big. It's the same size as the Accord from three generations prior. It's a very, very good car, especially at MSRP (or lower). My only gripes from when I had a week with it are that the stock wheels are ridiculous (you will get a bent rim, buy the Honda insurance), Honda's laggy infotainment system and the looks. It also has the usual FWD traction issues compared to AWD when launching in the snow, but that's not unique to the Civic.

The looks are somewhat remedied by getting it in black, but then you have a car that is an insane chore to keep clean.
What kind of launching are you referring to, because in all of my FWD cars I've owned or driven, there has been zero issue of traction.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #284
unhappymeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
What kind of launching are you referring to, because in all of my FWD cars I've owned or driven, there has been zero issue of traction.
You need to slip the clutch and be delicate. It's (relatively) a lot of power going through the front wheels. It's not like AWD where you can just mash gas and go.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #285
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
You need to slip the clutch and be delicate. It's (relatively) a lot of power going through the front wheels. It's not like AWD where you can just mash gas and go.
I mean, there is truly no need to mash the throttle when driving like a sane person, unless you're a soccer mom driving your 1.4 sec 0-62 Honda Odyssey. On that note as well, even AWD's can have issues mashing the throttle.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #286
unhappymeal

Quote:
I mean, there is truly no need to mash the throttle when driving like a sane person, unless you're a soccer mom driving your 1.4 sec 0-62 Honda Odyssey. On that note as well, even AWD's can have issues mashing the throttle.
I'm using mash as a superlative. It's definitely easier to get moving in something like a Golf R or WRX STI in the snow than the Civic Type-R.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #287
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I'm using mash as a superlative. It's definitely easier to get moving in something like a Golf R or WRX STI in the snow than the Civic Type-R.
The difference is negligible when driving normally.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #288
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I traded in my 2016 BRZ Limited for a Civic Type R back in March of this year after owning it for three years and putting 80,000 miles on it. I bought my BRZ new with 13 miles on the odometer.

I had my share of issues with the BRZ including a timing cover/cam carrier oil leak at 40K miles, cam sensor/OCV repeated check engine lights at 60K miles, and my throwout bearing eventually went at 75K miles. At the time when I traded it in, both valve cover gaskets were showing signs of oil seepage. Needless to say, I have dumped more money into repairs on a three year old car after the warranty expired than I would have expected to.

With that said, I have always been a Honda guy at heart, so I made the choice to get into a Civic Type R.

How is the Civic Type R? Well at first, experiencing the acceleration was quite a change, but I have gotten used to it. However, ripping through first and second gear is still a rush. Peak torque kicks in at low RPM, and it just pulls all the way to redline. Forget about traction in the lower gears, the tires just like to break loose in both dry and wet.

People say the car is quiet, but the engine makes an audible and noticeable sound from the cabin. You can hear, and feel the low booming at low revs, but as you lay into the throttle, the engine almost sounds like a lesser pitched F1 engine.

Brakes have no issues whatsoever. The bite is very good, but not twitchy like an on/off switch. The only complaint is a bunch of brake dust from the factory metallic pads, and brake squeal with the Brembos.

Handling feels awesome. It is different than the BRZ, but it can turn corners the same, if not better. The only major thing is you feel that you are in a bigger car.

Shifter feel, I would say both cars are notchy, and precise. But they are different as the Civic Type R is connected via cables to the transmission, and the BRZ is not.

As far as ride comfort, the Civic Type R seats are more supportive, but slightly less comfortable than the BRZ seats. The adaptive dampers that the Civic Type R has are an added plus, along with the three different driving modes. You can definitely feel a change in throttle response, and suspension when you switch between the modes for either commuting on the highway, or spirited driving on a back road.

As far as infotainment, my 2016 BRZ Limited did not have navigation or Android Auto/Apple Car Play. The Civic Type R does. Bluetooth connectivity is also instant in where my BRZ took a bit longer to connect. Sound quality is better in the Civic Type R, since it has more speakers, and it comes equipped with a factory subwoofer.

And interior space, with large hatch area, and back seats for people to sit comfortably in. This is an added plus over the BRZ.

Last edited by Si_Chris; 07-10-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-12-2019), Jordanwolf (06-06-2019), SkyeHack (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:25 AM   #289
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
to Ken Block in
Ken Block transitive verb
Synonym of destroyed tyres
See also hoonigan

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #290
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
If I wanted a to drive a car almost as ugly, I could do it a lot cheaper in a used Pontiac Aztec.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-12-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #291
unhappymeal

Quote:
The difference is negligible when driving normally.
No, not really. I winter drive my Miata and Golf R. One is infinitely easier to get moving than the other.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #292
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
No, not really. I winter drive my Miata and Golf R. One is infinitely easier to get moving than the other.
Do they both have the same snow tires?
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #293
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
I traded in my 2016 BRZ Limited for a Civic Type R back in March of this year after owning it for three years and putting 80,000 miles on it. I bought my BRZ new with 13 miles on the odometer.

I had my share of issues with the BRZ including a timing cover/cam carrier oil leak at 40K miles, cam sensor/OCV repeated check engine lights at 60K miles, and my throwout bearing eventually went at 75K miles. At the time when I traded it in, both valve cover gaskets were showing signs of oil seepage. Needless to say, I have dumped more money into repairs on a three year old car after the warranty expired than I would have expected to.

With that said, I have always been a Honda guy at heart, so I made the choice to get into a Civic Type R.

How is the Civic Type R? Well at first, experiencing the acceleration was quite a change, but I have gotten used to it. However, ripping through first and second gear is still a rush. Peak torque kicks in at low RPM, and it just pulls all the way to redline. Forget about traction in the lower gears, the tires just like to break loose in both dry and wet.

People say the car is quiet, but the engine makes an audible and noticeable sound from the cabin. You can hear, and feel the low booming at low revs, but as you lay into the throttle, the engine almost sounds like a lesser pitched F1 engine.

Brakes have no issues whatsoever. The bite is very good, but not twitchy like an on/off switch. The only complaint is a bunch of brake dust from the factory metallic pads, and brake squeal with the Brembos.

Handling feels awesome. It is different than the BRZ, but it can turn corners the same, if not better. The only major thing is you feel that you are in a bigger car.

Shifter feel, I would say both cars are notchy, and precise. But they are different as the Civic Type R is connected via cables to the transmission, and the BRZ is not.

As far as ride comfort, the Civic Type R seats are more supportive, but slightly less comfortable than the BRZ seats. The adaptive dampers that the Civic Type R has are an added plus, along with the three different driving modes. You can definitely feel a change in throttle response, and suspension when you switch between the modes for either commuting on the highway, or spirited driving on a back road.

As far as infotainment, my 2016 BRZ Limited did not have navigation or Android Auto/Apple Car Play. The Civic Type R does. Bluetooth connectivity is also instant in where my BRZ took a bit longer to connect. Sound quality is better in the Civic Type R, since it has more speakers, and it comes equipped with a factory subwoofer.

And interior space, with large hatch area, and back seats for people to sit comfortably in. This is an added plus over the BRZ.

My old BRZ:

My Civic Type R (and my old Civic SI I have owned for 13 years):
Definitely sounds like a car to compliment my 86, but not replace.

I expect the shifter in the 86 will feel better based on what every single person has said so farm and the bigger car feeling like you mentioned may be a bit strange and not as sporty. A big draw for me to this car is that it is bigger though, this would be my "practical" car if and/or when(probably just when tbh) I have to get a "practical" car, lol.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #294
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
A Miata is not FWD? lol or did I miss something here. The comparison was between a FWD car and AWD systems. In the winter, with experience with many different FWD cars, I have never once had an issue gaining traction from a standstill.

If we were talking about RWD, which we weren't, then I totally agree.