follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Drambeenie BRZ/86 Risers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #43
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,087 Times in 500 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
  • Warm Car Up Before Operating: I do the same thing year-round. I start the car. I let it sit for the 30-or-so seconds that it remains in that loud, "initial startup" mode with the exhaust droning. This allows time for the oil to flow to all the areas of the engine, and start providing basic protection. As soon as it completes that mode, I drive. 30 seconds. That's it. You are welcome to let the car sit if you prefer the interior to be warm before you drive, but you aren't doing the vehicle any favors by letting it sit for more than a few seconds. An idle engine will take a LONG time to get up to operating temperature - especially on cold days. In that entire time it is warming up, it is operating outside of its normal range. This means poor tolerances, and increased wear-and-tear. The best option (though this differs depending on who you ask) is to give it a few seconds to allow the oil to flow, and then DRIVE THE CAR gently until it comes up to full temperature. This warms the engine up MUCH more quickly, reducing the time spent operating outside of the ideal temperature range. I just keep the RPMs below 3-4,000 until that happens. ....
That... exactly that, at least in terms of caring for your car. You may run into issues, depending upon temp/humidity inside and oustide the car, where the windshield will continually fog/frost over and blind you. Depending upon how good your washer fluid is, your wipers are, and if your nozzles aren't frozen or blocked, you can sometimes "squirt your way" to an eventually clear windshield as the engine warms up enough to allow the defroster do to its job, but it's generally a bad gamble.. sometimes if it's really cold you just end up with a nice thick coating of frosty ice. Needless to say, if you're on a road of any kind with other people, this is extremely dangerous.
Although I hate to do it, there have been times when I've had to just sit and let the car warm up enough so that the defroster blows at least fairly warm air. We see -10F and below frequently, and sometimes it's just better to wait and make sure that the windshield will stay clear before heading out in traffic.
Stang70Fastback (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #44
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
[*]Warm Car Up Before Operating: I do the same thing year-round. I start the car. I let it sit for the 30-or-so seconds that it remains in that loud, "initial startup" mode with the exhaust droning. This allows time for the oil to flow to all the areas of the engine, and start providing basic protection. As soon as it completes that mode, I drive. 30 seconds. That's it. You are welcome to let the car sit if you prefer the interior to be warm before you drive, but you aren't doing the vehicle any favors by letting it sit for more than a few seconds. An idle engine will take a LONG time to get up to operating temperature - especially on cold days. In that entire time it is warming up, it is operating outside of its normal range. This means poor tolerances, and increased wear-and-tear. The best option (though this differs depending on who you ask) is to give it a few seconds to allow the oil to flow, and then DRIVE THE CAR gently until it comes up to full temperature. This warms the engine up MUCH more quickly, reducing the time spent operating outside of the ideal temperature range. I just keep the RPMs below 3-4,000 until that happens.
I start the car and let it idle for a few seconds until the idle stabilizes then let the clutch out and roll down the street utilizing the initial high idle to get the fluids flowing in the motor and tranny. I have a few blocks of downhill before I need to put my foot on the gas so everything is lubricated and ready to go. Like Muse said there are times when it has to idle for 10-15 minutes until the defroster is blowing warm, that's a PITA.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #45
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 1,763 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yup. Obviously don't start driving until you can see!!! And also clear the snow off of the ENTIRE vehicle. That includes ALL of the windows, the hood, roof, and trunk! None of that "half-the-windshield-is-good-enough" bullshit!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #46
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
tires… tires….. winter tires, get a set!!