follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #29
RJasonKlein
Senior Member
 
RJasonKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL
Posts: 601
Thanks: 421
Thanked 338 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All of you guys make a great point to have an instructor drive my car, although it’s got to be a weird feeling sitting in the right seat watching someone flog my car! Who are the instructors and who do they instruct? Do you have to be a paying student to get instruction or is everything run by volunteers trying to help know-nothings like me?

@Stang70Fastback are you actually an instructor and were you being serious? If so, I pick you!

@sirbobbinhood can you tell me a little more about this regional autocross school you attended? Are these organized by the SCCA and are they one day events or are they held over a weekend? How much do they cost and are they more geared for experienced runners or are they something a newbie like can sign up for?
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #30
sirbobbinhood
Member
 
sirbobbinhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Location: Portland
Posts: 58
Thanks: 7
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
All of you guys make a great point to have an instructor drive my car, although itís got to be a weird feeling sitting in the right seat watching someone flog my car! Who are the instructors and who do they instruct? Do you have to be a paying student to get instruction or is everything run by volunteers trying to help know-nothings like me?

@Stang70Fastback are you actually an instructor and were you being serious? If so, I pick you!

@sirbobbinhood can you tell me a little more about this regional autocross school you attended? Are these organized by the SCCA and are they one day events or are they held over a weekend? How much do they cost and are they more geared for experienced runners or are they something a newbie like can sign up for?
They really vary based on the region but from what I've seen they're typically a full day of autocross, from 8 or 9 to 3 or 4 which is about double what you normally get for time at a regional event.
You normally show up and get signed in and they staff will assign you an instructor who should start making sure your car is good to go and then walk the course with you. After that you get to start going on some runs with the instructor in the car with you giving you pointers. I got about 3 or 4 runs before the instructor hopped in and went for 2 runs to show me how fast the car really can go (like 7 seconds faster then I was doing on a 34 second course) then I went for some solo runs.
During lunch the instructors got their cars out and took people for rides. Gives you a great chance to feel all sorts of different classes and car setups along with how more experienced drivers drive them.
After lunch it's back to runs with the instructor then solo runs. My school they swapped out instructors at lunch so you could get pointers from someone else.
The SCCA clubs will almost all have a novice school but there's a lot of other clubs that will have them as well. Porsche Club of America is another national group that autocrosses and a lot of them will have schools. Smaller clubs will do them as well but my personal experience has been that SCCA instructors are normally a bit more experienced just because SCCA has national events that bring in more competition. Also a lot of our SCCA instructors instruct at other clubs events.
Even if you're kind of experienced you can learn a lot of autocross tips and they're normally just a bit more than a single day event for the double length class. Plus a lot of regions will hook you up with a discount for the next day's full autocross event.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirbobbinhood For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:14 AM   #31
RJasonKlein
Senior Member
 
RJasonKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL
Posts: 601
Thanks: 421
Thanked 338 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbobbinhood View Post
They really vary based on the region but from what I've seen they're typically a full day of autocross, from 8 or 9 to 3 or 4 which is about double what you normally get for time at a regional event.
You normally show up and get signed in and they staff will assign you an instructor who should start making sure your car is good to go and then walk the course with you. After that you get to start going on some runs with the instructor in the car with you giving you pointers. I got about 3 or 4 runs before the instructor hopped in and went for 2 runs to show me how fast the car really can go (like 7 seconds faster then I was doing on a 34 second course) then I went for some solo runs.
During lunch the instructors got their cars out and took people for rides. Gives you a great chance to feel all sorts of different classes and car setups along with how more experienced drivers drive them.
After lunch it's back to runs with the instructor then solo runs. My school they swapped out instructors at lunch so you could get pointers from someone else.
The SCCA clubs will almost all have a novice school but there's a lot of other clubs that will have them as well. Porsche Club of America is another national group that autocrosses and a lot of them will have schools. Smaller clubs will do them as well but my personal experience has been that SCCA instructors are normally a bit more experienced just because SCCA has national events that bring in more competition. Also a lot of our SCCA instructors instruct at other clubs events.
Even if you're kind of experienced you can learn a lot of autocross tips and they're normally just a bit more than a single day event for the double length class. Plus a lot of regions will hook you up with a discount for the next day's full autocross event.
That sounds awesome and I want to do it - thanks so much for the information. Iím going to reach out to the Chicago Region chapter and see if I can find an event like that near me.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #32
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,223
Thanks: 770
Thanked 1,672 Times in 1,055 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@RJasonKlein https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...go-solo-281784
__________________
Second chance build... or whatever it is.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-24-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #33
EffaressNOOB
Member
 
EffaressNOOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: Halo 2016 Scion FR-S, 6MT
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 68
Thanks: 76
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Enjoyed my first AutoX event today! I was very excited to get 2nd place out of 5 in STX for my first time go at it!

Then....

Someone asked me about my mods. The mod in question was my catless header. My exhaust system consists of:

Open Flash Catless UEL Header
OEM overpipe
OEM frontpipe
NVidia N1 Catback

Did my parade get rained on? lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Enkei TFR (Copper) 17x9+45 | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 245/40 | Tein Flex A
OFT Stage 2, E85 | Kraftwerks Skunk2 CAI

Open Flash Unequal Length Header
Invidia N1 CatBack
InstaGram: 49RJ
EffaressNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #34
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,223
Thanks: 770
Thanked 1,672 Times in 1,055 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffaressNOOB View Post
Enjoyed my first AutoX event today! I was very excited to get 2nd place out of 5 in STX for my first time go at it!

Then....

Someone asked me about my mods. The mod in question was my catless header. My exhaust system consists of:

Open Flash Catless UEL Header
OEM overpipe
OEM frontpipe
NVidia N1 Catback

Did my parade get rained on? lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that's your entire mod list, you are 100% STX legal. You only need one cat, and it needs to be within 6" of the position of the last cat in the system (i.e. the one in the stock frontpipe). Since you're running the stock catted frontpipe, ... no issues.
__________________
Second chance build... or whatever it is.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
EffaressNOOB (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #35
EffaressNOOB
Member
 
EffaressNOOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: Halo 2016 Scion FR-S, 6MT
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 68
Thanks: 76
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
If that's your entire mod list, you are 100% STX legal. You only need one cat, and it needs to be within 6" of the position of the last cat in the system (i.e. the one in the stock frontpipe). Since you're running the stock catted frontpipe, ... no issues.


Thanks! That was the only mod in question. All the other ones were straight forward.... incase u were wondering:

Enkei TFR 17x9 in Hankook V12s 245/40
Tein Flex A Coilovers
Skunk2 CAI
Stage 2 OFT 93 OCT

If I flashed to E85, will I stay in STX?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Enkei TFR (Copper) 17x9+45 | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 245/40 | Tein Flex A
OFT Stage 2, E85 | Kraftwerks Skunk2 CAI

Open Flash Unequal Length Header
Invidia N1 CatBack
InstaGram: 49RJ
EffaressNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EffaressNOOB For This Useful Post:
cjd (04-08-2018), dutchman1 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #36
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 474
Thanks: 13
Thanked 277 Times in 183 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffaressNOOB View Post
Thanks! That was the only mod in question. All the other ones were straight forward.... incase u were wondering:

Enkei TFR 17x9 in Hankook V12s 245/40
Tein Flex A Coilovers
Skunk2 CAI
Stage 2 OFT 93 OCT

If I flashed to E85, will I stay in STX?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You cannot run E85 in STX.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
cjd (04-08-2018), EffaressNOOB (04-17-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #37
RJasonKlein
Senior Member
 
RJasonKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL
Posts: 601
Thanks: 421
Thanked 338 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffaressNOOB View Post
Enjoyed my first AutoX event today! I was very excited to get 2nd place out of 5 in STX for my first time go at it!
Congratulations on a great first result - it sounds like you had a blast!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
EffaressNOOB (04-09-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 2013 Scion FR-S set up for SCCA STX class autocross NoCones Cars for Sale/Trade 3 01-28-2018 10:47 AM
What class would I be? zerobrz Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 3 10-29-2017 08:44 AM
2012 BRZ/FR-S Stock Class Autocross Discussion EMguy Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 183 01-04-2013 04:17 AM
What SCCA autocross class will the FRS be most competitive SVThis Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 5 07-30-2012 04:29 PM
Which autocross class? jpdarty7 Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 66 06-21-2012 05:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.