follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2024, 11:23 AM   #1
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Recaro SR7 + Kawai Works LOW seat rails

I installed these seats + rails late last summer and have been enjoying them quite a bit.

The seats are a "JDM" Recaro, so it takes a couple months to get them here in the USA. Evasive Auto and Art of Attack are 2 shop options to import them. In the basic all-black fabric colorway that I have, they're not very flashy and they're somewhat common in Japan but still kind of a cool subtle look overall. Maybe I'll reupholster them someday.

The seats are a big improvement in comfort. The butt and back cushions are soft, in a good way that’s different than the OEM seats. The OEM seats (to me) got a little annoying after about 30 minutes. The Recaros also have a little lumbar insert cushion that's subtle but makes a nice difference. The step-less/continuous recline adjustment is really nice to get the angle just right.

They're a step more supportive than stock, especially thigh support. It's not huge and it’s not close to a real race bucket, but it feels good. I'm skinny so not too snug for me at all...if you're a bigger person it's not far off OEM but is tighter.

The improvement in comfort is bigger than the difference in support. For a more “sport” oriented but still reclinable seat, the SR6 is what you want. More bolstering, slightly firmer cushioning. I have not tried those.

The rails are not as easy to get here in the USA. Kawai Works in Japan recommended that I work with Jesse at Street Corporation...everything went well but it was a slightly confusing experience. The quality of the rails seems great so far and everything works well. There are other seat rail options but as far as I can tell these are the lowest for a reclinable seat. Kawai works has specific rails for 2nd gen so do your own research on that.

As for 40mm change in seat height, the difference is noticeable and awesome. I’m 6’1” and have a whole bunch more room over my head. The lower position feels great day to day and is just a huge improvement in overall seating position. Your legs will be straighter, so my seat is all the way back…and if I was super tall then maybe it would be concern.

The lower seat height and the taller thigh bolsters do make getting in and out (especially out) a bit more of a pain. Parallel parked next to a curb is not fun.

I’d say the Recaro Sportster CS, which are more easily available here in the US, feel slightly more "upscale" overall. You can decide on the looks yourself, but I think the Sportster has better materials. They’re a bit more expensive though and for 2 seats that difference isn’t small. You also apparently can’t use the super low down Kawai Works rails, but I think you can use their “regular” rails (T130). You'll want to double check.

Hope this review helps.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
2.2Lude (02-16-2024), churchx (02-16-2024), Re_Invention (02-28-2024), spcmafia (02-21-2024), Wally86 (02-21-2024), whataboutbob (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 11:24 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Pics here when I clean my car.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:01 PM   #3
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you have the part number for the Kawaii Works seatrail?
I actually have the JDM Recaro slider with Pole Position ABE, and it's not enough low for me.
Naniwaya said they don't have a lower seatrail that can accomodate the width of Pole Position.

BTW: I tried all the JDM Recaro wwhen I was in Yokohama at ASM Autobacs, the SR-7 is a great seat, but too tight if you have wide shoulders.
SR-6 was a tad sportier than stock seat, but way more comfortable.
Very very good for street.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:24 PM   #4
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No side air bag, right?
Old 02-16-2024, 08:36 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Also interesting if they are lower then stock seats (when wearing helmet, more headroom never hurts)
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:13 AM   #6
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
I actually have the JDM Recaro slider with Pole Position ABE, and it's not enough low for me.
Naniwaya said they don't have a lower seatrail that can accomodate the width of Pole Position.

BTW: I tried all the JDM Recaro wwhen I was in Yokohama at ASM Autobacs, the SR-7 is a great seat, but too tight if you have wide shoulders.
I had read the SR6 was just a higher thigh bolstered SR7. You mention the SR7 is narrow in the shoulders (narrower than stock?), would you say the same for the SR6?
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 03:27 AM   #7
gpvecchi

SR-6 seems wider at the shoulders, perhaps it's just an impression because the filling is a little softer. I'd say SR-7 is narrower than stock seats, it is tight at the shoulders like a Bride seat.
When I sat on SR-6 I thought, wow, I could stay here forever. Perfect for street, but probably not enough supportive for track.
Sportster and SR-7are similar, with Sportster being wider, too much for my body.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:41 AM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
No side air bag, right?
Correct, no side airbag.

- Andrew
Old 02-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #9
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Also interesting if they are lower then stock seats (when wearing helmet, more headroom never hurts)
Definitely noticeably lower, the advertised 40mm feels correct.

- Andrew
Old 02-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
It's this one for fixed back seats, but I don't know all the details or if they fit Pole Position. Someone else on here in the EU has a low seat rail for Pole Position.
https://www.kawaiworks.com/seatrail/seatrail1367.html

- Andrew
Old 02-17-2024, 11:45 AM   #11
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi
SR-6 seems wider at the shoulders, perhaps it's just an impression because the filling is a little softer. I'd say SR-7 is narrower than stock seats, it is tight at the shoulders like a Bride seat.
When I sat on SR-6 I thought, wow, I could stay here forever. Perfect for street, but probably not enough supportive for track.
Sportster and SR-7are similar, with Sportster being wider, too much for my body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi
The SR-7 is supposed to be the more comfortable and softer street seat and SR-6 more sporty. Since I haven't tried the SR-6, I can't say, but that's my understanding from people I've talked to and the reading I've done.

This is the SR-6 below:

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 02-18-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:34 PM   #12
gpvecchi

Yup! Sorry, my fault, I swapped the name of the seats. More than a year passed.
The sportier and tighter seat is the SR-6.
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-18-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #13
Racecomp Engineering

Also, I do someday want to reupholster the seats in a more unique tweed/wool fabric. Maybe not houndstooth but something fun. The cloth they come with feels soft and comfy, just not very high quality feeling.

- Andrew
Old 02-21-2024, 07:44 AM   #14
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Also, I do someday want to reupholster the seats in a more unique tweed/wool fabric. Maybe not houndstooth but something fun. The cloth they come with feels soft and comfy, just not very high quality feeling.

- Andrew

I have been looking for reclining seats for a little bit, your post has made me think between these and BRAUM. The latter looks like it has less padding, and the fact that the price of one Recaro equals a pair of BRAUM, could maybe speak to quality/name and comfort.

Regarding rails, is the 40mm drop preventable? Meaning, are there rails that would sort of keep the OEM height. I drive with the OEM height all the way down, which isn't terrible. Trying to picture how much more evident a 40mm drop would do.