follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2023, 12:42 PM   #8849
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I usually check Rockauto too.
Good call. With shipping and tax $471.60 And I'll get it Friday.

Everybody else was $540 and up.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:28 PM   #8850
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Good call. With shipping and tax $471.60 And I'll get it Friday.

Everybody else was $540 and up.
You could also check some of the Subaru parts sites.

One example of many:
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/page...eywords=Clutch
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #8851
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
You could also check some of the Subaru parts sites.

One example of many:
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/page...eywords=Clutch

Have you had good luck with them ? I think it was subarupartsdeal I tried ordering TOB clips from and they wanted like $40+ in shipping.
blsfrs (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 03:25 PM   #8852
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Start the new job on the 25th. Had a conversation with the company president, who I actually respect, last night. It was a good talk and he had already assumed more money and different position wasn’t going to change my mind. Told the idiot GM this morning, He was shocked, don’t know how as I have been telling him since June of last year of things didn’t change I would be on my way out.
bcj (09-13-2023), blsfrs (09-12-2023), Kaotic Lazagna (09-12-2023), pope (09-16-2023), soundman98 (09-12-2023), spike021 (09-13-2023), Spuds (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 03:40 PM   #8853
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Have you had good luck with them ? I think it was subarupartsdeal I tried ordering TOB clips from and they wanted like $40+ in shipping.
I have ordered from:
Subaru parts warehouse (long time ago, don't remember what)
Subaru parts deal (my build last winter)
Subaru parts deals (just today)

It varies in terms of overall cost including shipping for different parts and I fill up multiple carts to find out if someone is screwing around with pricing. I think some sites will offer lower prices and then charge additional "shipping and handling" cost to recoup. I have this problem where I'll spend more time than it's worth to optimize my expenditures lol.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with either, but I don't have particular loyalty to any of them. Whoever can get me the right parts the quickest/cheapest gets my money in this case. One isn't consistently better or worse than another.

Last edited by Spuds; 09-12-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (09-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:27 PM   #8854
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Update on a trip to Japan. It’s been fun & haven’t really had a time to relax until visited my family.

I knew bringing a child to a vacay isn’t easy & often doesn’t go as planned… but didn’t expect this much. Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto & Osaka, I’ve made plan A~ZZ w all the different location to do or to see. Let’s just say we had to remake the plan every hr & in the end only made <10% of places to see. It was expected… but didn’t expect this much. Thankfully my child is easy on food choices, so it’s been nice on that one. Hardest part for her is walking. Japan’s main transportation is train or bus. Of course there’s taxi option (no Uber or Lyft), but taxi can be expensive. Result, after few mins, she doesn’t want to walk and I have to carry +30lbs child. Make things more fun, Japan don’t believe in ADA or child friendly, so stroller don’t do shit or make your life harder. At least my arms get daily 7hrs of lifting.

O’well, this is part of parenthood right?
Old 09-12-2023, 08:21 PM   #8855
Spuds
The Dictater

I think my town must be hosting an idiot convention this week. Went to pick up some takeout and saw 3 different occasions of cars making u turns in the middle of the road, one Tesla nearly plow through a line of cars, and then cut some actually attentive driver off when they realized that they had to turn, someone dive in front of me for a parking spot I wasn't even trying to take, and a slow meandering truck that doesn't know how traffic lights work. And that was half the cars I saw on the road in total lol...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #8856
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Update on a trip to Japan. It’s been fun & haven’t really had a time to relax until visited my family.

I knew bringing a child to a vacay isn’t easy & often doesn’t go as planned… but didn’t expect this much. Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto & Osaka, I’ve made plan A~ZZ w all the different location to do or to see. Let’s just say we had to remake the plan every hr & in the end only made <10% of places to see. It was expected… but didn’t expect this much. Thankfully my child is easy on food choices, so it’s been nice on that one. Hardest part for her is walking. Japan’s main transportation is train or bus. Of course there’s taxi option (no Uber or Lyft), but taxi can be expensive. Result, after few mins, she doesn’t want to walk and I have to carry +30lbs child. Make things more fun, Japan don’t believe in ADA or child friendly, so stroller don’t do shit or make your life harder. At least my arms get daily 7hrs of lifting.

O’well, this is part of parenthood right?
Plans only work as far as the childs attention span. And children aren't known for having great attention spans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-12-2023), ichitaka05 (09-13-2023), soundman98 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #8857
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I ended up with a 900lb motorcycle in my shop for repair. Been sitting for like 8-9 years. Transmission howl. Hopefully just a clutch but I heard 4 gear is weak in these.
Tour glide?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:35 PM   #8858
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
"No family vacation plan survives the first encounter with a tired child"

-Every Parent Ever

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (09-13-2023), NoHaveMSG (09-12-2023), pope (09-16-2023), soundman98 (09-12-2023), Spuds (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 09:16 PM   #8859
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Tour glide?

He actually over estimated the weight when he told me how heavy it was. It is a Victory Hammer.
Lantanafrs2 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 09:44 PM   #8860
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Long story short. Yesterday brought the car to the shop. Guys tried revving it and test driving, couldn't hear the noise.

They had me come out and drive the car with one of them in the passenger seat, I could only reproduce it like once but the guy couldn't hear it.

I mentioned once each to both of the guys that I noticed on the weekend my oil seemed overfilled. They didn't check the oil.

I sent them a video from last night with the noise pretty easy to hear at least with headphones on.

They responded saying it wasn't something they could act on at this point.

Went on a short drive earlie, got home, waited about a half hour, then checked my oil again:

This is considered overfilled, right?

Laz sent me a screenshot of a website saying overfilled oil can cause foaming, which can cause noises like ticking....

I told the shop again and sent the same pic over email and they said I can come in for them to correct the fill but not for a week.

Am I right to be concerned especially given it seems like the shop when they did my 60k two weeks ago seems to have used at least six full quarts instead of 5.7 like the manual says?
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:02 PM   #8861
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Random philosophical (?) question for the group. At the risk of sounding like an ass, how much more would you be willing pay a vendor/store/etc you like for the same product than one you are ambivalent to?

I feel like $100 is way too big a difference to ignore, but $20 is no problem. But in between is a grey area. Do you have a limit?
tldr: it just depends.

there's rumors that radioshack is going to be coming back.

on hackaday, there were many people discussing this exact thing.

in it's heyday, everyone went to radioshack because they were down the street, but they generally had components to make things work. though it was well known that a $0.10 component was going to be about $5.

for a while it made sense. and in some ways, it still does.

but now marketplaces like amazon, ebay, temu, aliexpress, and more, that serve as allowing direct contact with the manufacturing facilities in china where it all comes from anyways. what was a $0.10 component is now a $0.03 component.

radioshacks benefit was always that they were local stores. but it proved to not be enough to keep in business.

i always loved shopping at radioshack. in early years, the staff knew what the were talking about, and were able to help. the later years, they were fun to screw with as they tried to sell me on a phone plan. i always enjoyed many of the unique items that radioshack/tandy corporation came out with, which is how i came into having a small collection of the radioshack house-brand 'Realistic' speakers.

price was rarely a factor, as the convenience outweighed it--it meant getting a project i just decided to do that day off the ground in the same day instead of waiting for something to be delivered days/weeks later.

i don't have a great relationship with any companies anymore like i used to. but in the past, i've located their supply chains, but then still order from them because of the service/support/forums that they offer for the same product. mp3car, and the retrofit source were 2 of the big one's in my past.

as was apparent from my mentioning of csg in your brake parts thread, i'd absolutely consider them over another storefront, because of the forum activity that they have. but $70 more does start to stretch the point, especially considering that they're not directly hosting/maintaining the site with the info. my limit in their case is closer to $20-40 difference.

but then i get to company like baja designs-- their light bars are easily $100-1,000 more than competitors options. but i'd hands-down go with them for the extra tech they put into them for thermal throttling, the genuine led chips they use, and the countless years of some of their extremely passionate engineers spending time on forums discussing some highly technical lighting and design choices they made that by all rights didn't ever need to be discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Why are parents so prideful?

My siblings are coming for a visit. It's a Jewish holiday. So my mom was gonna make a more typical Jewish meal for all of us this weekend.

When we discussed it like two or three weeks ago, we said maybe she'd do Jewish style braised/roasted brisket. Parents said they'd only do it if the price of brisket wasn't too bad.

I told them I will split it minimum two ways with them or more so they're comfortable getting it for this occasion.

Yesterday I talk to them and they tell me they're making some other dish.

They went to the grocery store and it was 12.99/lb for a 3-4 lb brisket.

My dad says as soon as he heard that he told the butcher "no thanks".

I'm like, I offered to pay for at least half and I would've just footed the whole thing no big deal, I can afford to.

And my parents who insist all the time they're not cheap literally acted cheap and on top of that wouldn't take my offer.

save this. in 20 years, show it to yourself again. it'll make more sense.
Dadhawk (09-13-2023), NoHaveMSG (09-12-2023), spike021 (09-12-2023), Spuds (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 10:27 PM   #8862
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Long story short. Yesterday brought the car to the shop. Guys tried revving it and test driving, couldn't hear the noise.

They had me come out and drive the car with one of them in the passenger seat, I could only reproduce it like once but the guy couldn't hear it.

I mentioned once each to both of the guys that I noticed on the weekend my oil seemed overfilled. They didn't check the oil.

I sent them a video from last night with the noise pretty easy to hear at least with headphones on.

They responded saying it wasn't something they could act on at this point.

Went on a short drive earlie, got home, waited about a half hour, then checked my oil again:

This is considered overfilled, right?

Laz sent me a screenshot of a website saying overfilled oil can cause foaming, which can cause noises like ticking....

I told the shop again and sent the same pic over email and they said I can come in for them to correct the fill but not for a week.

Am I right to be concerned especially given it seems like the shop when they did my 60k two weeks ago seems to have used at least six full quarts instead of 5.7 like the manual says?
What's the other side of the dipstick look like? Always use the lower reading side, that faces upwards in the oil pan I think.

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money