follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #15
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
This is good information! I've been looking at my car the last couple days. Color match is so freaking dead on until it matches to the origional body and then for some reason, it looks like ASS. Body shop owner has been AMAZING and has bent over backword to help me. He told me that if I didn't like it to bring it back and he would blend it. Car might be going back here next week.
Good luck with the blend!

I think i'm gonna do the same and just drop it off at the shop for them to do it when i go away next weekend.
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kotu100 For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
Good luck with the blend!

I think i'm gonna do the same and just drop it off at the shop for them to do it when i go away next weekend.
Good luck to BOTH of us I'm off on Mondays and I can borrow a car for the next day. I think I'm going to go pick up the poor painter a 6 pack of beer. I really feel bad, but the color is driving me crazy!

Edit. My match. It is sooooo perfect other than where the two panels meet up

Only the meetup point. (don't look at the vertical part of the trunk, look at top of the trunk/roof for color and look at the seam for the blend)

In the sun. Seem is still off (not in the picture), but the color is literally PERFECT

And for those of you who are about to tell me I'm picky, I know already
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #17
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
^ I'm still not seeing it... Prob have to see it in person. At least it's just the bumper tho, not like you damaged the structure in any way. Just a plastic part that bolts right on.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 AM   #18
BRGLR

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Ultramarine Metallic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
There is no such thing as a 100% match by panel painting unless its solid black. it can get pretty close, but never perfect. Especially on a large or side panel. For a new fender job the front door and hood should have been blended into. Some insurance companies would even cover to blend the bumper cover.
Solid black can't be matched very easily as there are different blacks even, not to mention when repairing black everything has to be perfect or you will see every little imperfection. Best way to check to see how good an automotive painter is just ask to see their gloss black or even better high gloss black paint jobs. When finished they should look wet. Although a quality black paint job like that will cost just as much as a custom paint job. Lots of labor in sanding and typically has to be hand sanded to get it to perfection.
BRGLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGLR View Post
Solid black can't be matched very easily as there are different blacks even, not to mention when repairing black everything has to be perfect or you will see every little imperfection. Best way to check to see how good an automotive painter is just ask to see their gloss black or even better high gloss black paint jobs. When finished they should look wet. Although a quality black paint job like that will cost just as much as a custom paint job. Lots of labor in sanding and typically has to be hand sanded to get it to perfection.
as far as color itself goes, solid black is the easiest to match up since there is not a ton of actual color itself in it that is visible. its mostly all straight black toner with traces of usually red, blue, yellow. insurance companies wont even pay to blend panels for solid black cars. even if the color itself actually matches up, the new clear against the old, swirled black finish makes it look off anyway so its still a hassle.
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
spitfire481

Quote:
This is good information! I've been looking at my car the last couple days. Color match is so freaking dead on until it matches to the origional body and then for some reason, it looks like ASS. Body shop owner has been AMAZING and has bent over backword to help me. He told me that if I didn't like it to bring it back and he would blend it. Car might be going back here next week.
i put about 3 hours and 12 spray out test cards into matching whiteout. i have done a few of them here. i shoot PPG HP envirobase waterborne basecoat. in this system the color would look ok dead on (with their factory variants), but on the flop (45 degree angle) it would look bright white compared to the factory adjacent panel. standard tri-stage pearl jobs in PPG waterborne are 2-3 coats of the base, 3 coats of the mid coat (pearl) plus a drop coat for pearl orientation. in the end i ended up at 2 of the base, 8 of the pearl plus a drop. it has been matching better than the factory bumpers match the car right now. i have done a single new front bumper on a local shop car. matches excellent. also i have done a few deck lid spoilers for that shop for other customers. then a larger whiteout job which was two brand new bumpers, new passenger quarter panel replacement, blend the front door.
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I can not understand obsession in perfect paint matching on street cars. All it takes is one careless mistake to ruin your perfect paint job. I understand yea it should be close but there is a reason they call it blending and not matching. The only way you are going to have a perfect job is if everything (as in the whole car repainted) is done by a pro (or should I say computer like OEM paint) in a paint booth with the same can of paint.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #22
suaveflooder

Quote:
i put about 3 hours and 12 spray out test cards into matching whiteout. i have done a few of them here. i shoot PPG HP envirobase waterborne basecoat. in this system the color would look ok dead on (with their factory variants), but on the flop (45 degree angle) it would look bright white compared to the factory adjacent panel. standard tri-stage pearl jobs in PPG waterborne are 2-3 coats of the base, 3 coats of the mid coat (pearl) plus a drop coat for pearl orientation. in the end i ended up at 2 of the base, 8 of the pearl plus a drop. it has been matching better than the factory bumpers match the car right now. i have done a single new front bumper on a local shop car. matches excellent. also i have done a few deck lid spoilers for that shop for other customers. then a larger whiteout job which was two brand new bumpers, new passenger quarter panel replacement, blend the front door.
Where is "here?" Where are you located? Would you PM me your number? I'm taking the car back this morning to talk to them and going to show them this post. Is this probably normal for all pearls? "The 45 degree really white thing"
Old 05-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
spitfire481

Quote:
Where is "here?" Where are you located? Would you PM me your number? I'm taking the car back this morning to talk to them and going to show them this post. Is this probably normal for all pearls? "The 45 degree really white thing"
my shop is out in Baltimore, so not close at all lol. this wasnt so much the case back when we used PPG DBC solvent base coat. 3 coats of the pearl mid coat seemed to be just fine. with the waterborne i have been having to go way over 3 coats, and not only with whiteout. i have done probably 4 or 5 other pearl whites with this paint system so far and all have looked bright white on the flop with the standard 3 coats of mid coat plus the drop coat. see what paint system they are using and get back to me. if its ppg envirobase i might actually be able to help haha
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #24
suaveflooder

Shot you a PM. Talked to my paint shop today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #25
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
^ I'm still not seeing it... Prob have to see it in person. At least it's just the bumper tho, not like you damaged the structure in any way. Just a plastic part that bolts right on.
Because it truly is dead on from straight on. Here is "the flop" as @spitfire481 calls it. If I came at my car from the back every day I wouldn't even have noticed it, but since the car is facing forward in the garage, it's seen every day.

Got a response back from @spitfire481, and I had already talked to the body shop about bringing the car back in. She's going to get 5-6 more coats of pearl on her Monday.

Anyone in San Diego area that needs a painter for whiteout, this shop is going to be well-versed after next week. GREAT guys!

Last edited by suaveflooder; 06-01-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #26
spitfire481

Hopefully it solves the issue. That's the exact issue I had when I did my first whiteout bumper. 100% identical to yours on the flop. Looked like bright white with zero pearl. 6 more coats of the pear mid coat later and I was able to get it to match better than the factory did at all angles. Its been working out ever since on all the whiteout cars/parts I've sprayed
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #27
suaveflooder

Quote:
Hopefully it solves the issue. That's the exact issue I had when I did my first whiteout bumper. 100% identical to yours on the flop. Looked like bright white with zero pearl. 6 more coats of the pear mid coat later and I was able to get it to match better than the factory did at all angles. Its been working out ever since on all the whiteout cars/parts I've sprayed

You've been awesome! Again, thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Ok I see it. Damn spitfire, want to move the the NW? We could use painters like you.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo95eg6 For This Useful Post: