follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On the 2013 GT500

Okay, what am i doing talking about the Cobra on the BRZ forum, well...

This thought comes from Jalopnik's article on the new GT500. I know the author referenced the FR-S, but it could have just as easily been the Breezy. Folks, this is why we bought the car. I am sure several of us on this forum could afford to drop coin on an admittedly ultra tasty GT500, but that would be like walking around with a S&W Model X500 when we know a 9 mm XD is better for the application. The fact that the FR-S even gets brought up like this is significant.

Do you want the car that you always -ALWAYS- have to hold back with. Or do you want the car you can use 100% every once in a while and 70% of all the time without bringing undo attention to yourself. Who is really getting the better deal? Well, we made our choice, and it is nice to see it being validated by a third party

Jason Torchinsky:
Quote:
I didn't tap a tenth of what the car is capable of, and I know it. It was fun, and riding alongside the SVT team's drivers was very fun as well, but the truth is despite how capable the car felt, I realized I had more fun last month throwing the FR-S around the track.

The issue may be that driving the FR-S was something much more in tune with my limited skills; I could push it closer to the limit and really thrash it around the track, and have a great time, feeling like the car is a roughly equal partner in the business of whipping around as fast as we can and having fun. The GT500 is so much more powerful, so much faster, and bigger and purposeful that I never really felt like I could let go and just have fun.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
BMWDAD

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i coupe
The BRZ and FR-S, will create a new class of car that I am REALLY looking forward to. Light, fun, and tossable.

Coming soon to the USA

Miata ND
BMW 2 series coupe (4 cylinder)
VW GTI VII (redesign)
Audi TT (redesign)
BMWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Oh let's hope! The current TT is getting very long in the tooth, and it's sad too because it's a great car but it just needs a redesign. They also need to bring back the damn manual transmission - DSG is NOT the same! Same for the Miata, which I think lost some of it's personality, and Nissan needs to bring something to the table, too!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
If you want a miata track car go spend a grand and get an NA or spend 5 grand and get one already set up to compete.

The TT is wicked fast but I feel like that is falling into the same category as the GT500 for most folks. It is too fast for most people to drive safely. Especially if you throw some modifications at it.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Yeah there is a lot of truth there. While driving my ~400hp sti around with wide sticky tires, I almost never felt like I was pushing the car unless it was a track day. Even then, the car wanted to under steer. It gets old driving a fast car slow all the time. My next car was a Mazda 2 (long story) and it was a TON more fun to drive day to day. I was always pushing the car to its limits and it had great feedback through the chassis, steering and gearbox. It was fun and everything I read leads me to believe the BRZ will be along the same lines with almost perfect feedback and rwd. Seems like a total win to me.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
I'm one of the individuals that was giving very serious consideration to a 2013 GT500.

In the end for a lot of reasons I decided to pass. I actually live in an area that allows momentary use of such a car. Even looked at a Z06.

Really looking forward to my BRZ as I think it will be a more "fun" car to drive on the curvy roads in my location.
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It's funny that they mentioned that in the article because I was also considering a Mustang GT or GT500, but I kinda felt that I would never really have as much fun in the Mustang, and that I'd have more fun redlining the little BRZ every day instead of never taking the Mustang over 3k rpm. Glad to hear that others agree.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
This is probably why I enjoy my Legacy so much, I can floor it all day and it takes a while to reach illegal speeds :P
WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid View Post
I'm one of the individuals that was giving very serious consideration to a 2013 GT500.

In the end for a lot of reasons I decided to pass. I actually live in an area that allows momentary use of such a car. Even looked at a Z06.

Really looking forward to my BRZ as I think it will be a more "fun" car to drive on the curvy roads in my location.
You don't need a GT500, you ride a Super Duke. Your badass cred. has already been established. :happy0180:
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
The BRZ and FR-S, will create a new class of car that I am REALLY looking forward to. Light, fun, and tossable.

Coming soon to the USA

Miata ND
BMW 2 series coupe (4 cylinder)
VW GTI VII (redesign)
Audi TT (redesign)
I don't know if the BRZ/FR-S is a new class of car. We have had the Miata for years, and also had cars like the 240z, S2000, RX-8, etc.

I do applaud Toyota and Subaru for making these cars. Especially Toyota where they have been lacking a really fun car in their lineup for years. I do hope it generates more interest in RWD fun to drive cars that actually offer things like manual transmissions

And I would welcome more competition. If these cars sell well and generate more traffic to dealers (which in terms allows them to sell others types of vehicles to a potential BRX/FR-S buyer) then we could see other car makers step into the arena.

So far response for these cars has been very positive. But this is not a sprint. If sales are strong for a couple of years and then fall flat, we could see less of these types of cars..
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
adamls2

Drives: LS460
2013 GT500 specs are honestly insane and will make any auto enthusiast's blood pump. I agree that the FRS/BRZ is completely different in many aspects, but to me they both have a sort of equal sense of desirability if that makes sense. I can go on and list pros & cons for both vehicles but that would un-ethical. The person in the market for both of these cars should know which one is best for himself.

~~Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown~~
adamls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
jonnyquest

Drives: 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
I'm curious to see what the other car manufacturers will make to compete with this car. It seems to me like this car will change the way a lot of other cars are made. My mind is pretty made up that I will wait out to see if they make an STI model later. And if they don't I'll pick up a BRZ limited
jonnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote