follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Tirewarmer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover Spring Length

For those of you putting together your own coil overs, what spring lengths have you used? I'm currently looking for 2.25" diameter used linear rate springs for testing on my MCS dampers, and have only found a couple of published coilover spring lengths that seem to vary from ~ 5.5" to 7" front and ~ 6.5 to 7" rear.

What length has everyone gone with? I'd prefer to stay as short as possible, but don't want to go too short. Anyone have off the shelf setups like Ground Control, KW etc. that they could measure spring lengths for me?

Thanks,
Joe
Tirewarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
You could PM GTB/ZR-1 he has the MCS shocks. Here is a picture of one of his installed coilovers, he is using 7" Eibach springs (the 0700 is the length). I think the MCS shocks are the same length front and rear so he's probably running 7" on both ends. He's about in the middle of the shock so it looks like about the right length you'd want to use, but you could probably go 6" and be fine as well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8...bc81aae0_c.jpg
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
GTM_Challenge

Drives: On track
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Joe,

Id say a lot depends on the shock casing length and shaft length - i.e. a lot of information here may not be relevant unless they have your exact same setup. It also depends on what ride height you want to run and if you're going to be running tenders/helpers, or have coilovers that are independently height adjustible from spring preload.

Have you tried contacting MCS or any other members (I can think of one that is already running the MCS stuff) for their input?

Best of luck!

Austin
GTM_Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Tirewarmer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
Joe,

Id say a lot depends on the shock casing length and shaft length - i.e. a lot of information here may not be relevant unless they have your exact same setup. It also depends on what ride height you want to run and if you're going to be running tenders/helpers, or have coilovers that are independently height adjustible from spring preload.

Have you tried contacting MCS or any other members (I can think of one that is already running the MCS stuff) for their input?

Best of luck!

Austin
Already sent a PM to GTB/ZR-1 and noticed the 7 inch length in the photo. He thought that he was running 6" all around, but from that photo, it may be 6" front 7" rear.

Have spoken with MCS, and they haven't sold enough stuff for the twins to be 100% sure. I would like to be able to adjust between no drop and 2" while I test and tune and figure out spring rates.

I'll attach a pic of my shocks here. As you can see, the rears have a much larger threaded area, and should be easy to pick a spring length for. I'm trying to keep the springs as short as possible to minimize weight. I've decided on 7" for the rear, from the GTB/ZR-1 pic.

I'm probably going with 6" for the front. The threaded area being shorter, I don't want to go too long and miss it and not be able to lower the car. I can always add a helper spring setup later if I'm a bit too short. I don't think that the 6" will go into coil bind with the amount of shock travel that we have in the front.

Tirewarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
ASSALBERT

Drives: DC5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
very nice! LOL how do they not know? Have them send you a bunch of springs to test out.
ASSALBERT is offline   Reply With Quote