follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #29
sirwin

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks! I have been getting conflicting info on the safety of this kind of set up, the angle of the rear straps and the use of the head rest to keep them over the shoulders. I was also wondering about using the rear car seat anchors up on the window ledge.
Lastly, do you keep the harness in the car at all times or remove between track days?

Thanks again.
sirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirwin For This Useful Post:
zypher (10-07-2016)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #30
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
What is this CGLock thing? I've never used one...

tie strap to stock seat slider adjuster, slide seat all the way back, strap in stock 3pt, force it to "lock," use strap to lift rail lock and slide forward.

That's as good or better than a poorly executed 4pt install... but I guess some people just want to be boy racer. To each their own, just make sure you only use it on the track where you have a bit more control over your car, lest you be t-boned and roll over, thereby snapping your neck on a city street.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #31
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I always get a little nervous when I see those schroth belts with such a low anchoring point. I'm sure they know what they are saying, but I still worry that a hard head on into a wall would end up compressing your spine as you move forward. Maybe the break away portion of the belt would change that effect though.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #32
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznsky View Post
^Corrected

I'm not a big fan of harness bars. Reason is that the intent of the harness is to keep you strapped in place, and in the chance that you roll the car over, your head is basically stuck in place and the roof will crush your head first. With the oem 3 point style, it allows the body to bend sideways and away from the roof.

Now the chances of rolling a car over in autox is very slim, so a harness bar and 4 pt should be ok. But if the car is going to any sort of track, I'd highly recommend either the stock 3 point with a CG lock (and yes your left foot will get really tired from supporting you, I've had mine even cramp on really hot days) or a correct 5 point with a custom rollbar.

Just my opinion.
This is why I started this thread:

Show us your Custom Roll Cage or Roll Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
What is this CGLock thing? I've never used one...

tie strap to stock seat slider adjuster, slide seat all the way back, strap in stock 3pt, force it to "lock," use strap to lift rail lock and slide forward.
I tried this in my FR-S. Didn't work for me, even though I have used this method in other cars. It seems there is just too much movement in the stock seat for this to work for me; the seatbelt just always loses its lock after a few hard turns. I will be buying a CGLock until I can afford a better option.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #33
l8apexr

Drives: hybrid + racecar + FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 View Post
Way too low
FIA says 45deg is OK. 10 is recommended.

Team Lexus IS300 race car
'14 Lexus RX450h Sport Design daily driver
'14 FR-S fri/sat/sun car: SARD LSR wing, Downforce front lip, Mann Engineering dampers, TRDsways, Milltek xhaust, AEM Intake, RAYS 57xtreme, OnPoint Dyno ECUTek tuned: +30rwhp!
l8apexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #34
l8apexr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
here is what FIA has to say about 4 points

scroll down to section 6.1 through 6.3

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/DA58BF07DFFA863FC1257690003E34B6/$FILE/253%20%2810-11%29-161209.pdf
So it looks like FIA says 45deg is OK, but 10deg is recommended. Therefore lower anchors should be ok I believe.

'14 FR-S fri/sat/sun car: SARD LSR wing, Downforce front lip, Mann Engineering dampers, TRDsways, Milltek xhaust, AEM Intake, RAYS 57xtreme, OnPoint Dyno ECUTek tuned: +30rwhp!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #35
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8apexr View Post
So it looks like FIA says 45deg is OK, but 10deg is recommended. Therefore lower anchors should be ok I believe.

whether something is okay or not will be revealed during a crash

people have had crashes with bad equipment and walk away unscathed,

FIA says they test things.. and so they make their guidelines, they have their threshold levels of supposed injury, etc.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #36
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
In addition to needing a rollbar (or full cage), you NEED to use a HANS (or similar) device if you're going to run 4+ point belts that don't have a break away section like the Schroth ones. Running locked 4 points without a HANS is just asking for neck injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
I always get a little nervous when I see those schroth belts with such a low anchoring point. I'm sure they know what they are saying, but I still worry that a hard head on into a wall would end up compressing your spine as you move forward. Maybe the break away portion of the belt would change that effect though.
I would bet that is exactly the reason. With the inner shoulder belt tearing and extending you're not being held so firmly and compressed.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #37
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

My setup, custom welded in roll bar with harness bar. 4 Point Schroth harness's, these are the correct belts for this application. ASM in the 3" shoulder strap, 2" bolt in lap belts. Street legal PRESS buckle.

Takata Drift harness's can also be ordered in this spec.

When I finish my seat mounts I will switch to a proper fixed back seat and add the crotch straps. I had the buddy club mounts but wasn't happy with them.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #38
klittl06

Drives: FRS?
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I recently got the scrothe rallye 3 for autox. It mounts the seat belt reel location in the back seat, so there's no issue with the angle (which I've read there is with the 4 in our cars). It quickly and easily breaks down (not completely removes) for when you don't need it. I'm pretty slim so the cg lock with the long buckle in our drivers seat didn't sound like a good fit for me. I've also read they're prone to breaking but I can't confirm or deny that.

It worked great at the first autox event over the weekend.
klittl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klittl06 For This Useful Post:
BAMF86 (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #39
l8apexr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
In addition to needing a rollbar (or full cage), you NEED to use a HANS (or similar) device if you're going to run 4+ point belts that don't have a break away section like the Schroth ones. Running locked 4 points without a HANS is just asking for neck injuries.

I would bet that is exactly the reason. With the inner shoulder belt tearing and extending you're not being held so firmly and compressed.
Rollbar or full cage is best. agreed. Unfortunately I will be running w o the rollbar or cage. But harness w Hans.

The Following User Says Thank You to l8apexr For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #40
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
What harnesses? I'm hoping Schroth makes a direct fit for the twins, but nothing yet.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #41
l8apexr

Takata drift II. Two inch shoulder, perfect for HANS!