follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #239
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Bonesaw View Post
Just installed continental winter contact with 225/45/17 yesterday at work. They are definitely a lot louder than the primacys. I'll be sure to update when we get some real weather to try them out.
Man, Subaru did a fine job on our Perf. Pkg. wheels & DGM is beautiful. Very nice.
In a 4 season climate without tons of snow I give a thumbs up for Pirelli PZero A/S Plus, soon to replace the Primacys down here...
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSube For This Useful Post:
jmark (12-28-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #240
BOND007_LTK

Drives: 2013 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've installed Blizzak's WS80
Feels like 80-90% of stock original tires in the summer. I'm very confident in the snow.
BOND007_LTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #241
Marty Bonesaw

Drives: 17 BRZ W/ PP
Two months now with the Winter contact SI. Overall I'm very happy. We have gotten plenty of rain and some fluffy, some wet snow. The tires have yet to leave me stranded or give me any uneasy feelings while driving. I haven't kept anything in my trunk or added any other wieght to aid in traction but I'm sure that would improve their performance even more. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Marty Bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #242
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
By the middle of this winter, the third on Conti EWC, they had become terrible on cold wet pavement but were wonderfully drifty and fun on really cold dry pavement with a nice salt dust coating and were still pretty good in fresh snow and packed snow. Now that the roads have warmed up they've become super grippy on dry pavement and are all sorts of fun in the twisties so with over 25k on them I'm just going to use them up before going back to my 3 season rubber rather than pull them and toss them when I get new winter shoes for next year.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #243
Red2Liter

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited, Red
From new purchase in 2013, I've run 205/55X16 Michelin Alpins on my BRZ with great success. It's not my primary snow car in snowy upstate New York, but they get the job done when I'm caught out in typical winter conditions. The minus one sizing affords a bit more weight/per wheel on the contact patch while maintaining the same rolling radius. I purchased a set of 16 inch alloys with the tires from Tire Rack.
Red2Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #244
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Not about snow, about cold. And they are not rubbery if you just inflate them right. I'm on General Altimax Artic's in North Carolina. They are awesome in snow and cold, but just as good as all seasons when it is not as cold. I have mine inflated at the top of their cold inflation range and there is absolutely no rubbery feeling whatsoever. They are just excellent tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirEspo View Post
Bad idea. Keep it to the 35PSI the car recommends or you're going to wear out the middle of the tire extremely quickly.

The Altimax Arctics are made of a similar compound to General's all-season tires hence their versatility, but you definitely don't want to run them continually above 45-50F. They can't dissipate heat quickly enough to avoid a catastrophic failure, and too much heat combined with already putting them at their cold inflation limit will result in a blowout eventually.
Are you serious? I Have had 2 sets of altimax arctic on my Honda and while they are good in the snow and decent in the rain I still hate them compared to even all seasons. They are so soft and sidewalls roll over so easily. If I take even one half spirited turn I literally smell rubber.

Hearing someone who owns a sport car say its great in all conditions and no worse than all seasons, DOES NOT COMPUTE. Maybe you had some really crap all seasons but even the cheap Kumhos I had were better than the arctics when it wasn't snowing.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 AM   #245
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Are you serious? I Have had 2 sets of altimax arctic on my Honda and while they are good in the snow and decent in the rain I still hate them compared to even all seasons. They are so soft and sidewalls roll over so easily. If I take even one half spirited turn I literally smell rubber.

Hearing someone who owns a sport car say its great in all conditions and no worse than all seasons, DOES NOT COMPUTE. Maybe you had some really crap all seasons but even the cheap Kumhos I had were better than the arctics when it wasn't snowing.
or maybe you just didn't properly inflate your tires and check regularly. Also note the same tires can be different in different sizes.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #246
KidRich

Drives: 2016 DGM
Garage
Any update on best snow tires since older posts? My first winter with the 86 and I am in Canada with quite a bit of snow... any recommendations ?
KidRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #247
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I replaced my wrecked Honda Accord DD with a Mazda 3.

My winter wheel setup fits the Mazda but I was curious if anyone has experience with General Altimax Arctic vs Michelin xice 3. I was considering replacing the Generals but they have tread for 1 probably 2 seasons so I don't know.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #248
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I replaced my wrecked Honda Accord DD with a Mazda 3.

My winter wheel setup fits the Mazda but I was curious if anyone has experience with General Altimax Arctic vs Michelin xice 3. I was considering replacing the Generals but they have tread for 1 probably 2 seasons so I don't know.
I can't COMPARE them as I've never driven on the Michelins, BUT I have driven on Bridgestone Blizzak WS-series studless winter tires, which are commonly regarded as some of the best, and after using General Altimax Arctics for the past four years on the BRZ here in Chicago, I haven't found myself needing anything better. They are fantastic, and cheap enough that you don't feel bad about tearing them up on dry pavement with occasional, inevitable RWD shenanigans. They've done well for me both in daily winter driving, and even ice racing up in Wisconsin

Granted, it is rather flat 'round these parts.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
atomicalex (10-29-2018), KidRich (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #249
KidRich

Drives: 2016 DGM
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I can't COMPARE them as I've never driven on the Michelins, BUT I have driven on Bridgestone Blizzak WS-series studless winter tires, which are commonly regarded as some of the best, and after using General Altimax Arctics for the past four years on the BRZ here in Chicago, I haven't found myself needing anything better. They are fantastic, and cheap enough that you don't feel bad about tearing them up on dry pavement with occasional, inevitable RWD shenanigans. They've done well for me both in daily winter driving, and even ice racing up in Wisconsin

Granted, it is rather flat 'round these parts.

Thanks, answered my question! I was thinking the Generals as it was the most commonly recommended previously; however, wasn't sure if something else had come out since.
KidRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #250
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRich View Post
Thanks, answered my question! I was thinking the Generals as it was the most commonly recommended previously; however, wasn't sure if something else had come out since.
If anything, get the newer Generals that came out last year. The Altimax Arctic 12s, I think? Surely they can't be worse, so I bet they're great too!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
KidRich (09-05-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #251
Traffic

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Automatic
Hi guys I have a few questions.
1)Has any body ran a 205/65/16 or taller on a stock suspension with any rubbing?

2)I'm looking to try the new NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 or the older R2s. what are your guys thoughts on those tires?

3) I want the max traction without studs, so I want to go as tall and try the Nokians out.

I have ran the Generals for two seasons with the BRZ. I have been happy with their performance and for the price they are great! I recommended to my co workers and friends and family.
I have always read that the Nokians were the best, but resisted the purchase cause of the price per tire. But last winter I felt that I could use more traction and that I should step and pay more. Hopefully you guys can give me some feed back.
Thanks.
Traffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #252
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
1) i recall post on stock wheels, that "225/55/17 rubs, 225/50/17 fine".
I'd probably go for 195/65R16 or 205/60R16. Mind you, not checked/confirmed fit for no rubbing (myself went last winter on 205/55R16).
2) depends on use & priorities. In ice motorsports many preferred studded hakka 8 to 9, while imho 9 might be ahead/improvement on some important to "normal" drivers areas.
R3 - seems concentrated on lower noise/lower rolling resistance (thus possibly better wear and fuel economy)/more comfortable/rated for higher speeds.
But as in winter tires i'm after most grip on ice/snow ignoring any other shortcomings .. R3 don't look the tire for me and imho R2 might be less compromised for me in area that matters most. Will wait for more reviews/comparisons between the two and those of competitors.
3) max traction .. remember also going for narrower tire. BTW, imho even 205 too wide for twins weight in winter. Imho 195 might be more optimal width. I liked traction of 2nd gen MR2 (almost same weight as twins) on 185 width on ice/snow (also on hakkas8, just as i was previous winter, but on 205/55R16) much more, hence my guess that going even narrower may improve things. There are cars that grip well on ice/snow even on 205, 215 or wider .. but more often they weight 1.5t and up.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Traffic (09-15-2018)