follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
track driven car - Engine noise - click on driver side - vid

hello guys,

today I am taking the car out of storage and I hear a noise I dont' think is normal:

check the video :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbo32cveuTU"]scion frs engine start - then clicking after a 45 seconds - YouTube[/ame]

at 50 seconds, you will see a new clicking is coming up much louder than the usual idle. the engine is warm. Every time I restart the engine I get the normal idle noise, then a few seconds later, that louder clicking comes on...

I assume it is not normal ?
looking at this I also see the tension pulley really is far from steady, is that norma behavior ?

thanks for your help
Phil.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am not a mechanic, I just tinker a bunch and most of it is on other vehicles. That said:

I don't think the tensioner should be bouncing like that; at 600 RPM you are talking about five detonations per second per cylinder which is quite close to what the video looks like. Given that I would suspect that you might have a weak cylinder. A load test might be in order, though I don't know how exactly to do that on one of our cars. A compression test might also be useful, but given where the spark plugs are that would probably be really hard. The strange thing about suspecting a weak cylinder in this case is that we should be seeing a CEL about a cylinder miss firing so iono.

In terms of the noise, I suspect it could be the high pressure fuel pump. This could be the engine switching from port injection to direct injection after its initial self checkout. Best thing to do would be to use a mechanic's stethoscope and figure out more precisely where the noise is coming from. The question then becomes, why is the pump making that noise and I don't have any idea unless it is related to the bouncing tensioner.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote