follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #57
tuwey

Drives: focus svt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I live in the rust belt. Wouldn't these cause galvanic crorosion, and in use weld the subframe to the body. Otherwise I'm in for a set.
tuwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #58
Cuchullain

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuwey View Post
I live in the rust belt. Wouldn't these cause galvanic crorosion, and in use weld the subframe to the body. Otherwise I'm in for a set.
That's actually an interesting question. The answer I suspect is "maybe." Assuming these are aluminum (too lazy to confirm), all there would need to be is some kind of material between the Al and the steel (ie paint). Worst case scenario, bare Al against bare steel, it would probably take a decent amount of time to start corroding to a noticeable amount.

I wouldn't be too worried about galvanic corrosion between aluminum and carbon steel, especially if the contact surfaces are painted. I might be concerned if it were between aluminum and stainless steel, but it is not. To be extra precautious, you could always apply a liberal amount of grease between the two surfaces, that would at least help.

Lastly, the aluminum would be the part to corrode, so you wouldn't be in danger of destroying your car, just the $$$ sunk into the rigid collars.

TL;DR probably a non-issue
Cuchullain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #59
Superstar

Drives: Honda
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Are these pretty easy to install?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #60
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I just started a chat on their website, included the link to this list of these interested group buyers, (I count 12 including me). I'll see if they have the authority to start a group buy. i'll get back to you if they offer a discount.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #61
KoolBRZ

Garage
They're asking about $500 for both front and rear sets. A 10% discount from buying separately. I asked if we could get a group buy price of about $350 instead? They'll get back to me in a few minutes, I hope...
Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #62
KoolBRZ

Garage
Anthony @ Rigid Collar will give us a code for 20% off. If both front and rear sets are ordered at the same time, you save an additional 10%. That's a combined savings of 30%. That would bring the combined price to just about what I asked for, $360, instead of $350. Close enough. That's the price before taxes and shipping, Your totals will be different depending on what your taxes and shipping will be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (06-29-2015), SPCorBUST (07-05-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #63
Mark@S

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ - DGM 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuwey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchullain View Post
That's actually an interesting question. The answer I suspect is "maybe." Assuming these are aluminum (too lazy to confirm), all there would need to be is some kind of material between the Al and the steel (ie paint). Worst case scenario, bare Al against bare steel, it would probably take a decent amount of time to start corroding to a noticeable amount.

I wouldn't be too worried about galvanic corrosion between aluminum and carbon steel, especially if the contact surfaces are painted. I might be concerned if it were between aluminum and stainless steel, but it is not. To be extra precautious, you could always apply a liberal amount of grease between the two surfaces, that would at least help.

Lastly, the aluminum would be the part to corrode, so you wouldn't be in danger of destroying your car, just the $$$ sunk into the rigid collars.

TL;DR probably a non-issue
Via Spoon: "Rigid Collars are made from a secret blend of space materials which ensures they mount perfectly flat between the chassis and subframe taking up any imperfection in the mounting surfaces."

So we can assume the Collars are an alloy blend of sorts. When people say "space materials" they usually mean Titanium Alloys (in my past experiences) which tend to be unreactive. Are you concerned about an Electrolysis type reaction between the metals?

I agree it is probably not an issue.
Mark@S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #64
KoolBRZ

Garage
The discount code is "SPC_ASLMT15U" and the website to order from is "http://www.rigidcollar.com/manufacturers.html". I'm ordering right now before the boss finds out. There is no guarantee how long this code will last. Act now or be disappointed later.
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
tonystewart (07-02-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #65
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote from Anthony @ Rigid Collar, "
buy them, fit them, review them. You wont be disappointed"
Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #66
KoolBRZ

Garage
Just bought them. I encourage the rest of you who are interested in a group buy to order soon. There's no guarantee how long this code will remain in effect. Although the purchase wasn't as smooth as say, Amazon or Ebay, it was logical and secure. I wasn't Verified by Visa on my preferred card, so I used Paypal instead. There was some lag time processing the requests, but be patient, you don't want to order multiple times. It does not conclude with the CC info, but instead verifies shipping info before completing. Don't be suckered into closing before it's done. Verify your shipping, complete your purchase, and make sure to print out your receipt. You might need to refer to that order number later.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #67
BRZ FTW

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
thanks for setting that up!! I will buy when I get home tonight.
BRZ FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #68
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Probably no one will know but just throwing it out there. I'm interested to know how much this, over time, might wear the contact points when installed between the body and subframe.

Since the engineers didnt design the car with these collars in mind.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #69
KoolBRZ

Garage
Actually this will help prevent wear to the contact points. The contact points are part of the problem. The contact points are neither completely flat nor completely square to each other. The other part is the bolt holes themselves. They are much larger then the bolt diameter, allowing easier assembly at the factory, but room for movement on impacts. Ideally, the factory should have designed tapered sleeves and rubber washers. That would prevent movement and isolate vibration. Unfortunately, that would drop the sub-frames .25" and require re-alignment, more assembly time, and increased cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Mark@S (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #70
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
This is akin to adding a bushing where there wasnt one previously.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote