follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
THEWAKLER
USMC

Drives: DGM BRZ LMT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Overpipe gasket exhaust leak

Guys need some help on the exhaust leak issue.

Backstory: Installed JDL UEL headers, used gaskets supplied with headers. Everything was tight and sealed well after install.

2wks Later: Noticed weird noise under load, did my best to capture it in the video below. Ended up being the gasket on the header/overpipe had been deteriorated in a .75" section, where the material had corroded/been overheated/destroyed. All bolts were properly torqued.

Area where leak was/is:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwalk7...posted-public/

9 wks Later/1wk Ago: Noticed the same noise, in the same locatoin. Ordering a new gasket tonight to switch out, but trying to identify the root cause? Any thoughts? I am lowered 1.2" all around, and the back muffler occassionally scrapes the speed bump in my neighborhood (maybe putting extra stress/leverage on the gasket?). Talked to some guys at work today, and they said it might have been caused by excess stress on the muffler, and that a flex joint on the overpipe/midpipe might be able to reduce some of that strain, thus preventing stress on the gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest you take the bolts out between the header and over pipe and remove what's left of the gasket. Try to mate the flange of the header to the flange of the over pipe. In a relatively relaxed mode, check the gap between the two.

If it is quite large or not "straight" make a gasket out of the appropriate material to fill the void. If it's a big or really lopsided space, the "material" may have to be a custom made metal spacer.

humfrz

Back in the day, if two exhaust pieces didn't quite come together, we would wrap a big ol pipe wrench around one pipe then heat the pipe to cherry red with a blow torch and crank on the pipe till it "fit".

If that didn't work, we would say screw it and stick a piece of "flex pipe" in there .....
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-24-2015), Tcoat (11-29-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You can use a Remflex gasket. I kept having issues with gaskets at that flange too.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWAKLER View Post

9 wks Later/1wk Ago: Noticed the same noise, in the same locatoin. Ordering a new gasket tonight to switch out, but trying to identify the root cause? Any thoughts? I am lowered 1.2" all around, and the back muffler occassionally scrapes the speed bump in my neighborhood (maybe putting extra stress/leverage on the gasket?). Talked to some guys at work today, and they said it might have been caused by excess stress on the muffler, and that a flex joint on the overpipe/midpipe might be able to reduce some of that strain, thus preventing stress on the gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Have you solved the problem?
I have the same issue. And it happened twice.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
You can use a Remflex gasket. I kept having issues with gaskets at that flange too.
Have you solved the issue with Remflex gasket?

Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
DocWalt

As I posted above the fix for me was to use a Remflex gasket. I sent the following info to OP, but I've got no idea if it fixed his issues.
Quote:
I used a Remflex 6005 gasket. Needed some finagling with the holessince the bolt spacing isn't perfect, but it worked well. No more leaks
I've had Remflex gaskets on my exhaust for a year now. I recently had to pull the header for unrelated work and the gaskets showed no signs of leaking. I did have to replace them though as they pretty much bonded themselves to the flanges.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Figo (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
As I posted above the fix for me was to use a Remflex gasket. I sent the following info to OP, but I've got no idea if it fixed his issues.

I've had Remflex gaskets on my exhaust for a year now. I recently had to pull the header for unrelated work and the gaskets showed no signs of leaking. I did have to replace them though as they pretty much bonded themselves to the flanges.
I had problems with the remflex bolt spacing. The bolt holes were way too close to the tubing and i couldn't install properly. I tried to expand the bolt holes but it didn't work.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
I had problems with the remflex bolt spacing. The bolt holes were way too close to the tubing and i couldn't install properly. I tried to expand the bolt holes but it didn't work.
There's two remflex gaskets that work. The 6005 has a slotted side and a side with a hole. There's another Remflex gasket 8026 that I used when installing my Perrin CBE which fit perfectly there, but IIRC the hole spacing wasn't all that nice for the header/overpipe flanges.

I used a dremel with a sanding wheel to oblong the holes out the first time. Kind of a pain, but it worked. The second time I used a utility knife and just cut the holes out to the edge of the gasket so it just had two slots which worked a lot better. Obviously you have to be careful to not ruin the gasket, but it was less time consuming.

Either gasket works, and they both require some customization, but it's worth it to not have to deal with leaks. Mine are fine even after a couple of track days and a lot of daily driving. The other gaskets would have been blown out by now.
Figo (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Figo

Quote:
There's two remflex gaskets that work. The 6005 has a slotted side and a side with a hole. There's another Remflex gasket 8026 that I used when installing my Perrin CBE which fit perfectly there, but IIRC the hole spacing wasn't all that nice for the header/overpipe flanges.

I used a dremel with a sanding wheel to oblong the holes out the first time. Kind of a pain, but it worked. The second time I used a utility knife and just cut the holes out to the edge of the gasket so it just had two slots which worked a lot better. Obviously you have to be careful to not ruin the gasket, but it was less time consuming.

Either gasket works, and they both require some customization, but it's worth it to not have to deal with leaks. Mine are fine even after a couple of track days and a lot of daily driving. The other gaskets would have been blown out by now.
So you will recommend 6005 over 8026 right?

Also we have the same gasket between Header&2.5 overpipe, between 2.5 overpipe&2.5 frontpipe, and between 2.5 frontpipe & aftermarkt Catback right?

Last edited by Figo; 11-24-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Try the grimmspeed gaskets

you can get double thickness ones
http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed...st-gasket-set/

also put some high temp anti-seize on the nuts/bolts and make sure they turn freely so they torque up correctly. Rusty dry bolts will often work loose when heated as most of the "torque" was "used" up overcoming the friction.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (11-24-2015), Figo (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
So you will recommend 6005 over 8026 right?

Also we have the same gasket between Header&2.5 overpipe, between 2.5 overpipe&2.5 frontpipe, and between 2.5 frontpipe & aftermarkt Catback right?
I preferred the 6005, but they both require some customization. IIRC the 8026 fit perfectly on my Perrin CBE, which was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Try the grimmspeed gaskets

you can get double thickness ones
http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed...st-gasket-set/

also put some high temp anti-seize on the nuts/bolts and make sure they turn freely so they torque up correctly. Rusty dry bolts will often work loose when heated as most of the "torque" was "used" up overcoming the friction.
I tried the Grimmspeed gaskets... Getting them to seal was a bit of a crapshoot. They don't have a compressible fire ring like stock so it's just metal on metal.

I definitely agree on the anti-seize. Just be careful if you're using it on the Remflex gaskets, don't over-torque because you can over-crush them.
Figo (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I also had quite a bit of trouble getting the Grimmspeed gaskets to seal. I eventually gave up and grabbed some permatex ultra copper, no leaks so far. Messy but works.
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRace View Post
I also had quite a bit of trouble getting the Grimmspeed gaskets to seal. I eventually gave up and grabbed some permatex ultra copper, no leaks so far. Messy but works.
^^^This guy knows his shit!
grab a new gasket and throw some high temp rtv on both sides and be done with it forever. Did this to all my exhaust gaskets from downpipe back on my S15 when I was in Japan.
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
Fakk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was the sound as if something metal was loose and tinkled back and forth under more than idle load? I think mine makes the same noise on startup and any load. If so, I guess I found my problem.

Right now I have Grimmspeed header gaskets, this "Subaru OEM 2.5" gasket from speedfactory between headers and overpipe, and a thicker gasket the rest of the way back. I took it to an exhaust shop, and they said I don't have any leaks.
Fakk is offline   Reply With Quote