follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #687
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisthumper View Post
It takes several tanks before the chirping goes away? Im on my third tank of Shell 91 now and I still hear it
I think after 2 tanks you should be set. Guessing that the chirping problem is there to stay on your car.

I've filled my car up 3 times since the fix, 2 at Shell and 1 at Chevron. Crickets seem to be staying away. Prior to the fix I filled up only at Shell.

Guess i'll knock on wood and hope the issue doesn't return.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #688
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisthumper View Post
It takes several tanks before the chirping goes away? Im on my third tank of Shell 91 now and I still hear it
Wrote that wrong... After the initial fill with Shell the crickets dissapeared a day or two after the chevron burned off.. After three fills, its still quiet... I'm thinking the different formulas out there trigger different properties in the pump which either cricket or dont.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #689
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
So I dropped my car off at 9am this morning with an appointment... they wont be done until noon tomorrow apparently. Now I can't complain about the service they have given me, the service people have been extremely friendly and helpful but I can't help wondering why the hell this TSB which is supposed to be taking 2.5 hours is now taking 8+ hours. Granted they are doing the GPS fix at the same time but this seems ridiculous. They offered me a free rental, but I have a pickup truck that I will drive instead so I declined. They drove me home and are going to pick me up tomorrow, they have been great about it but I'm kinda annoyed it's taking so long. I just hope it's taking a while because they are doing it right...not because they are wasting time.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #690
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
So I dropped my car off at 9am this morning with an appointment... they wont be done until noon tomorrow apparently. Now I can't complain about the service they have given me, the service people have been extremely friendly and helpful but I can't help wondering why the hell this TSB which is supposed to be taking 2.5 hours is now taking 8+ hours. Granted they are doing the GPS fix at the same time but this seems ridiculous. They offered me a free rental, but I have a pickup truck that I will drive instead so I declined. They drove me home and are going to pick me up tomorrow, they have been great about it but I'm kinda annoyed it's taking so long. I just hope it's taking a while because they are doing it right...not because they are wasting time.
Be glad you were offered a rental. The reason my tech gave me for the quote of 2 days in the shop is that it would be their first time doing this on this car. So they're covering their ass by keeping it longer in case something goes wrong and they need to replace another part, etc. Once they've done a few, it'll go faster.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #691
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
After three fills, its still quiet...
It takes a while, but they will return.
Been there...

So a Subaru engineer came around today. I didn't get to talk to him. Apparently he took lots of videos, checked some numbers on the pump, took a fuel sample. They also okay'd another replacement pump for me (I suppose they want to examine the pump I have). No word about a super-secret revised fuel-pump.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #692
egraphic

Drives: Blue Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
Which dealer?
South Coast Toyota Scion in Costa Mesa.
egraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #693
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Brought my car into the dealer for this TSB. Took 2 days to complete both the GPS TSB and the Fuel Pump TSB but the chirp is completely gone, hopefully it stays that way!
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-04-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #694
Sigma6

Drives: FR-S
I noticed the chirp after filling up with some cheap 93 octane. I filled up with Shell V-Power at half full and then ran two more tanks of Shell through and still had the chirps. I switched to Sunoco 93 octane at half full and have ran through another full tank of Sunoco and still had chirps.

I am now on to Valero 93 octane and filled up with about 1/4 of a tank of Sunoco left. I went out for a spirited drive last night and the crickets are still present. I'll try one or two more tanks of Valero again. If that doesn't resolve it then I'd have to say that the myth is busted. Not unless it has anything to do with octane rating, which would be a huge stretch. Does it look like there is a pattern with people from California reporting that changing brands resolves the issue? Maybe I could give another round stations a shot but this time with 91 octane.

The Valero by me has TurboBlue on tap It is not of the unleaded kind though.
Sigma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #695
dsgerbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma6 View Post
If that doesn't resolve it then I'd have to say that the myth is busted.
Erm, what myth? I'm unaware of anything that would makes sense combined with your post.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #696
Sigma6

That the fuel pump will stop chirping when a specific refiner's fuel is used......

Are you glossing over a few posts here in this thread maybe?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #697
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That the fuel pump will stop chirping when a specific refiner's fuel is used......

Please also note that weather is colder now than when the crickets came out.. Changing gas formula plus colder weather may shut them up longer than hotter weather with 91 and ethanol..
Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #698
Sigma6

Temp has not played a role for me since the temp has been fairly consistent since my car first started to chirp. I have just over 1200 miles. Yes, formulas may have changed but ambient air temp does not seem to be a factor.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #699
dsgerbc

Quote:

Nope. 'Specific refiner' was never a viable theory, I don't know where you picked it up. In some states certain brands could be ethanol-free, but that does not guarantee that the same brand will be w/o ethanol even in neighboring states. In general even changing to fuel with ethanol won't produce the chirp right away (it takes a few tanks), so the fact that the chirp came up right after a tank of brand X - is a mere coincidence.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #700
Brimford

Drives: Whiteout / MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Temp has not played a role for me since the temp has been fairly consistent since my car first started to chirp. I have just over 1200 miles. Yes, formulas may have changed but ambient air temp does not seem to be a factor.
Same here, colder weather doth not stop the chirp
Brimford is offline   Reply With Quote