follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #71
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd say get something extravagant, but I think it would just be fun to have a sensible econobox like a mazda 3, and then use the 80k remaining to buy a twin and mod the shit out of it. No corners cut, spare no expense, parts.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #72
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Every once in a while, I think of getting a Mustang then supercharging it to 700HP. The funny thing is, it still isn't that fast on street tires. Then I think Model S P100D. Then I think of the crap interior. Then I think of a 911, but that's begging for somebody to key your car. Then I think M3, but they're shit now. Then I think older car, but I don't wanna die in a crash. So I just keep the FRS.

I'm kind over internal combustion.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Phantobe (02-20-2017), Ultramaroon (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:10 AM   #73
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Get a LSx Swap FR-S.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:45 AM   #74
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Then I think older car, but I don't wanna die in a crash. So I just keep the FRS.

I'm kind over internal combustion.
I feel like if you twisted my arm and said I HAD to buy a new car right now, I would actually get an ND Miata even though I don't actually like the car (mainly because it's ugly). It's measurably faster than the FR-S once you tune it because it's way lighter, and it has more rear traction. I'm sure it's pretty fun to drive, especially if you open the engine's top end up a little.

Even though I like progress and technology and think modern cars have many attractive features, the last few years have not been kind to car enthusiasts. The only new sports cars being made are the Miata, twins, and then the rest is expensive high powered stuff, which are generally too difficult to modify.

A new S2000 like car, MR2 like car, or Elise would really get my attention. I would even put up with the Porsche tax if they made something truly lightweight, but seeing how they made the 718 engines all about low end torque is killing my hopes.

Last edited by serialk11r; 01-25-2017 at 05:04 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #75
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
c63s by far. coupe
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #76
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I feel like if you twisted my arm and said I HAD to buy a new car right now, I would actually get an ND Miata even though I don't actually like the car (mainly because it's ugly). It's measurably faster than the FR-S once you tune it because it's way lighter, and it has more rear traction. I'm sure it's pretty fun to drive, especially if you open the engine's top end up a little.

Even though I like progress and technology and think modern cars have many attractive features, the last few years have not been kind to car enthusiasts. The only new sports cars being made are the Miata, twins, and then the rest is expensive high powered stuff, which are generally too difficult to modify.

A new S2000 like car, MR2 like car, or Elise would really get my attention. I would even put up with the Porsche tax if they made something truly lightweight, but seeing how they made the 718 engines all about low end torque is killing my hopes.

I'd go with the Abarth Fiata. I wouldn't call it good looking but it isn't bad and its certainly worlds better than the Miata. More comfortable, proven NC gearbox instead of the new crappy one with metallurgy problems, proven engine that makes 200 wheel with nothing but a tune, and no functional parts but the (proven) engine have been left to Fiat so it won't be breaking down all the time. All that and they didn't even jack the price up for no reason other than because they slapped an Italian badge on it. I'll take an extra 100 lbs in exchange for all of that.

In all honesty, if my other two cars weren't 2 door sports cars whose roofs can come off and the Abarth was a couple of years in to work out any bugs, I'd have one. I feel the need to reward a company for making that kind of product because very rarely do any of them actually do it. It's the same reason I'll march into a dealer immediately if they ever actually make an F.I. twin.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #77
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
I'm sort of in this boat.. Here's how I'm going about it.

28' Class C Motorhome
20' Enclosed Trailer
Race car
2017 championship

Oh and I'm keeping the FRS because it's paid off.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 AM   #78
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The last few years have been OH SO KIND to enthusiasts. Ignoring the high power stuff like the Corvette Grand Sport, GT4, Model S P100D, Hellcat, GT350R, M2, M235i, etc, we can focus on the small, lightweight, cheap and fun cars, like the twins, Miata, Fiata, 500 Abarth, and FiST. Not to mention the more expensive but featherweight 4C and 4C Spyder. Not like the GT4 is heavy at under 3000lbs. A regular Cayman can be had under 3000lbs too. As for modding, all of those cars have at least some aftermarket support. Civic Type R should barely break 3000lbs, and the GTI barely breaks 3000lbs too. Talk about aftermarket support.

You have to have blinders on to not see that we're in a golden age of performance cars, and it's just getting better.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 AM   #79
IMOA

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I asked myself the same question once my 86 was 3 years old and was looking at options like dropping in the synergy engine, elise, 4c etc but in the end went this direction

Unbelievable car. If you're a driving enthusiast it will completely blow your mind. Only downside is in aus it's more like 6-8 times the price but worth every cent
IMOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #80
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The last few years have been OH SO KIND to enthusiasts. Ignoring the high power stuff like the Corvette Grand Sport, GT4, Model S P100D, Hellcat, GT350R, M2, M235i, etc, we can focus on the small, lightweight, cheap and fun cars, like the twins, Miata, Fiata, 500 Abarth, and FiST. Not to mention the more expensive but featherweight 4C and 4C Spyder. Not like the GT4 is heavy at under 3000lbs. A regular Cayman can be had under 3000lbs too. As for modding, all of those cars have at least some aftermarket support. Civic Type R should barely break 3000lbs, and the GTI barely breaks 3000lbs too. Talk about aftermarket support.

You have to have blinders on to not see that we're in a golden age of performance cars, and it's just getting better.
Wait, when did a Cayman GT4 become "cheap"? Okay, I know you're not implying that, but an 80+k car is not really enthusiast friendly given most enthusiasts don't have that kind of money.

Going to the more affordable but not cheap cars, the BMW M cars have always been around, and the improvements to the new ones have been very incremental. At 50+k MSRP in basic form, the Boxster and Cayman definitely are not cheap, and the running costs are quite high. Also, I think it's hard to argue that 3000lbs for a 2 seater was ever considered genuinely light, not that the distinction really matters.

Now, you have to shell out even more money to get a 718, so there's another mark against affordability. I guess the 4C is somewhat affordable, but I'll wait and see how often those break down before I say anything about it.

Let's exclude FWD cars for a moment, because there have always been fast and cheap FWD Hondas available, and you could always easily mod them to be faster. The list of cheap cars you gave is actually only 3 cars long: twins, Miata/Fiat 124 (same car.), and Fiesta ST. If you are into AWD practical cars, the WRX has always been around, and the Evo was killed off.

I don't think that is a very good lineup, but maybe that's just me. What I see is a lot of luxury-sport cars being released, particularly from Porsche. The Corvette has moved upscale too. There are many things that manufacturers have started doing better in recent times, but last decade the cars you could have which you can't have now included the MR2, Celica (you can scratch this off, since I did express disdain for FWD lol), S2000, and Evo. I know this is ft86club, but this car was definitely kind of disappointing for a lot of people as a performance car (it is a great daily driver, I will admit).

It's definitely a golden age if you want to spend 60-70k, particularly if you enjoy your leather and premium sound system, but not if you want to spend 25-40k.

Last edited by serialk11r; 01-27-2017 at 04:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
tm86 (04-21-2017), WolfpackS2k (02-23-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #81
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangy View Post
Audi TTS

What about u guys
Since nobody touched it, let me!
If you're going to go Audi, go for the TTRS. That inline 5 sounds so good.
The TTS isn't much more sporty than the base 2.0l

mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #82
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, the TTRS is a special car, no doubt. But the very first thing I would do is add a LOT of front camber. It underseers badly.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #83
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The list of cheap cars you gave is actually only 3 cars long: twins, Miata/Fiat 124 (same car.), and Fiesta ST. If you are into AWD practical cars, the WRX has always been around, and the Evo was killed off.

I don't think that is a very good lineup, but maybe that's just me.

It's definitely a golden age if you want to spend 60-70k, particularly if you enjoy your leather and premium sound system, but not if you want to spend 25-40k.
What? There is a dizzying array of fun-oriented cars available under $40k.

Lets restrict it to RWD and <$40k
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger
370Z
Genesis
Miata/124

Add in other drivetrain layouts and you get: WRX/STI, Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, 500 Abarth, Golf/GTI, Veloster, Mini Cooper, and the Civic off the top of my head.

You count 3, I count 15 not including different trim options off the same chassis. Add in the more practical cars in budget that are still enjoyable to drive (Mazda3/6, iA, Fit, ATS, 3-series etc.) and it can be straight up overwhelming.

Pertaining to the OP, I don't think anybody mentioned the GTR? A slightly used one is likely within budget and might strike the right balance between being fast and fun and a step up in terms of quality and creature comfort.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #84
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
What? There is a dizzying array of fun-oriented cars available under $40k.

Lets restrict it to RWD and <$40k
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger
370Z
Genesis
Miata/124

Add in other drivetrain layouts and you get: WRX/STI, Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, 500 Abarth, Golf/GTI, Veloster, Mini Cooper, and the Civic off the top of my head.

You count 3, I count 15 not including different trim options off the same chassis. Add in the more practical cars in budget that are still enjoyable to drive (Mazda3/6, iA, Fit, ATS, 3-series etc.) and it can be straight up overwhelming.

Pertaining to the OP, I don't think anybody mentioned the GTR? A slightly used one is likely within budget and might strike the right balance between being fast and fun and a step up in terms of quality and creature comfort.
Again, you could always buy most of these cars. Why is a Civic right now considered "a choice of fun car" when the same held 10 years ago and 20 years ago? The K24, K20, and B powered Civics were all fairly fast cars for their time.

You have to look at the "delta" between cars then and cars now. The delta is -S2000, -Evo, -MR2, -Celica, +Veloster, +AWD Ford turbos, +a few special edition Porsches, +GTR, +NSX, +McLaren, +Alfa 4C, +twins, +Genesis. There are cars like the IS300 and RSX that essentially have successors, but ones that have become less sporty, depending on whether you considered them sports cars in the first place.

See what I am getting at? We lost some of the really popular affordable cars to gain the twins, Genesis (not a fan), and a lot of stuff most people can't afford. The definition of "pure driver's car" is up to debate, but if you want a pure, RWD driver's car, I don't think today's offerings are any better than they have been in the past. The selection is not really much worse per se, but it is also not a "golden age". Personally, the S2000 appeals to me much, much more than the twins.

If all the car makers live up to their promises of bringing new sports cars to the market, then 2020 might indeed be a "golden age" for sports cars. We shall see.