follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
trackmagic

Drives: 1994 BMW 318i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
I for one will be removing the ignition coils for maximum performance.
haha
trackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
After driving the car, I can say with a good degree of confidence that it feels almost as good as the RX8 as far as feel and 'weight' go. Im of the opinion that the RX8 turns in quicker though.

Believe me, comparing this car to an RX8 is quite the complement, for all the failure in marketing and engine life that the RX8 is attributed with, its still one of the best handling cars under $40k.
mattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I'm afraid the Elise may be the last car offered with manual steering. Sub-3,000lb cars really don't need it IMO. As long as the EPS doesn't feel like it does in modern Corollas I'll be OK.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The steering most likely feels "light" to those drivers because of skinny tires, lightweight car, and not having the engine sit in front of the wheels. Once everybody throws on their wide and sticky summer tires, you'll appreciate the power steering when it comes to low-speed traffic and parking.

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
www.facebook.com/BRZSportsCarClub
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (03-04-2013), SilverSkyline210 (03-03-2013)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I'm afraid the Elise may be the last car offered with manual steering. Sub-3,000lb cars really don't need it IMO. As long as the EPS doesn't feel like it does in modern Corollas I'll be OK.
This... I got a Corolla courtesy car a couple of days ago, very strange feeling. :S

Though I can almost guarantee that Toyota have "fixed" this for the GT86, as I haven't heard a single complaint from any of the reveiws about the EPAS being bad. Not to mention EPAS is also used in the LFA (though obviously a different version), and that's supposed to be plenty good to drive!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
kertong

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2009 Boxster S
This is what you want: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=111532
kertong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kertong For This Useful Post:
hobojoker (05-17-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Blue86

Drives: Sonic Blue 86GT Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
The steering most likely feels "light" to those drivers because of skinny tires, lightweight car, and not having the engine sit in front of the wheels. Once everybody throws on their wide and sticky summer tires, you'll appreciate the power steering when it comes to low-speed traffic and parking.

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
Agree 100%

My MR2 has no power steering and while it's fine at higher speed, it's a bit crap at low speeds
Blue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Oh my god people if you haven't driven the car don't comment on how the steering is "light" or how all electronic assist programs are horrible....unless your previous daily driver is completely unassisted or a go kart you are probably going to love the steering's weight. Any sloppiness is from the high sidewall stock tires. Just like what AVO said. No, it isn't going to feel like an unassisted rack and pinion, unless it's an unassisted rack and pinion.

Anyway, for OP, it sounds pretty sketch. I think there's a lot easier ways to improve feel, such as poly bushings, lower profile/harder sidewall tires, more front camber, a strut bar. Sometimes to improve one thing you have to improve everything around it.
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
I agree sticky tires make the oe setup feel
'right'
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #24
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm more concerned with the light gas peddle feel, if you go boosted and hit a few bumps at slow speeds your in for a jerky ride....manual of course.You go with wider tires the steering is perfect.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My old echo didn't come with power steering, and it was real heavy once I put the summer wide wheels and tires on it. My yaris has the power assist, and I hear its as simple as removing the fuse if you want to feel what its like.

Check the fuse box perhaps it can be done with the FRS/BRZ (don't have mine yet)
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #26
scottrichardson

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS White
Hey all - just came across this thread via a google search. I recently posted about my brand new 86 having very light steering all of a sudden. To the point where it has little resistance or driver / road feedback. I also feel as though there is lag between me turning the wheel and the car actually responding. Finally, I feel I have to turn the steering wheel way too much for the resulting steer amount. One day it was fine, the next day it was lazy/light and vague.

I have tried various tyre pressures, all no affect. It honestly feels like the EPS system is messing up. It feels like it is giving me assistance to stop the wheel from being heavy, but it's not actually assisting in turning the car's wheels.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #27
spyingwind

Drives: White '17 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourifornian View Post
Oh my god people if you haven't driven the car don't comment on how the steering is "light" or how all electronic assist programs are horrible....unless your previous daily driver is completely unassisted or a go kart you are probably going to love the steering's weight. Any sloppiness is from the high sidewall stock tires. Just like what AVO said. No, it isn't going to feel like an unassisted rack and pinion, unless it's an unassisted rack and pinion.

Anyway, for OP, it sounds pretty sketch. I think there's a lot easier ways to improve feel, such as poly bushings, lower profile/harder sidewall tires, more front camber, a strut bar. Sometimes to improve one thing you have to improve everything around it.
Came from a 260z. Being sub 3k lbs, the steering was fine. Not that the 350 chevy small block had anything to do with it. If only I had waited for a manual trany.

The FR-S' power steering is fine. And yes it is parasitic, but you wouldn't notice a difference. Why? because the alternator only outputs a fraction of power that the engine can produce. Why didn't they go with a hydraulic steering pump? That would suck the power out of that little engine. Why did they choose the electric power steering? Because it didn't take too much power away from the engine.

You can test whether the electrical power steering, AC unit, rear defroster, and what not are sucking power away from the engine. Let it idle, move the steering wheel back and forth. Does the rpm dip? when you turn on the AC unit, does the rpm dip? when you turn on the rear defroster, does the rpm dip?

Most of those will be yes, but negligible when you are red lining it.

If I took the motor that does the power steering assist, I could tell you how much it is really sucking from the engine.
spyingwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
Hey all - just came across this thread via a google search. I recently posted about my brand new 86 having very light steering all of a sudden. To the point where it has little resistance or driver / road feedback. I also feel as though there is lag between me turning the wheel and the car actually responding. Finally, I feel I have to turn the steering wheel way too much for the resulting steer amount. One day it was fine, the next day it was lazy/light and vague.

I have tried various tyre pressures, all no affect. It honestly feels like the EPS system is messing up. It feels like it is giving me assistance to stop the wheel from being heavy, but it's not actually assisting in turning the car's wheels.

You might want to look at your control arm and/or steering rack bushings.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote