follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
LivingLegend

Drives: 1994 Toyota Tercel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Illegal to work on your own car?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

"One of the inherent rights of owning a vehicle is the ability to get on one’s backside — a wrench in one hand and a grease rag in the other, and just tinker to your little heart’s desire. Since the vehicle was invented, it’s been an important facet within the community of gearheads.

General Motors — the same company responsible for 87 deaths related to faulty ignition switches, FYI — wants to take that right away from you citing safety and security issues. Along with a few other big names.

It’s called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It’s been around since 2000 and started as anti-Internet piracy legislation. But automakers want to use it to try and make working on your own car illegal. Yes, illegal. The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today’s vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.

RELATED: See Photos of the Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Listing the vehicle as a “mobile computing device,” the law would hypothetically protect automakers from pesky owners looking to alter any sort of technology in the vehicle that relates to the onboard computer. Flashing your ECU would be a big no no, which could also lead to all sorts of problems for aftermarket shops.

What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous— it is. But it gets even more ludicrous.

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that “letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system.”

That’s right— pirating music. Through a tractor.

RELATED: This Multi-Armed Tractor is Agricultural Erotica

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

DMCA does give a little bit of leeway, though. While the act could hypothetically lock customers out of key safety features, it would still allow owners the ability to repair other areas of the vehicle’s onboard computer as they see fit. It’s a slim compromise, but one that may be more closely based in reality.

As it currently sits, there are 13 (!) large automakers on the list supporting the DMCA. Want to know who they are? Of course you do:

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America

Ironically, one of the brands that relies most on technology in its vehicles — Tesla Motors — in not in support of DMCA. While other American companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler all agree that working on your own vehicle should be punishable by law.

Funny how three brands that pride themselves on American ingenuity don’t want customers to work on their cars."
LivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LivingLegend For This Useful Post:
Choco (04-30-2015), Lo (04-26-2015), WallsAndFoundations (04-28-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87043
Choco (04-30-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Then all the ads on tv of brands oils, auto parts stores encourage the DIY. Those are exclusive from North America. What is next? I cant fill my tank?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Then all the ads on tv of brands oils, auto parts stores encourage the DIY. Those are exclusive from North America. What is next? I cant fill my tank?
From: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....their-own-gas/

In an era where full service gas pumping seems to be a thing of the past, Oregon not only still offers this type of service to its citizens but the “beaver state” also does not offer them any other choice – Oregonians are not allowed to pump their own gas! Of fifty states, only two do not allow “self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail”. New Jersey is the other state that keeps its drivers in the driver’s seat when filling up their tanks.
Choco (04-30-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
LivingLegend

Drives: 1994 Toyota Tercel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Whoops sorry for the repost!
LivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LivingLegend For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLegend View Post
Whoops sorry for the repost!
Oh, I am sure this one will get posted many, many more times yet.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
From: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....their-own-gas/

In an era where full service gas pumping seems to be a thing of the past, Oregon not only still offers this type of service to its citizens but the “beaver state” also does not offer them any other choice – Oregonians are not allowed to pump their own gas! Of fifty states, only two do not allow “self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail”. New Jersey is the other state that keeps its drivers in the driver’s seat when filling up their tanks.
Richmond BC, too.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Note to self: Don't move to Oregon.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Choco (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I recall a trip I made up through Oregon on my motorcycle at the time (Yamaha RD 400) and I had no idea of this law. I got off the bike, started pumping gas and the dude came walking over to me asking me repeatedly if he could pump my gas for me. I said no and he seemed worried about it so I asked and he told me of the Oregon law. I apologized and as politely as possible said I don't want anyone but me putting gas in my bike. Ended up taking a detour around Oregon on the way back south.

If I recall, I believe the so-called 'mini serve' they put into law was done at a time long ago to help increase jobs and the law never got taken off the books or revisited to see if it was still pertinent/needed.
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Special_K
Bannéd

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Thanked 2,077 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWBRZ View Post
I recall a trip I made up through Oregon on my motorcycle at the time (Yamaha RD 400) and I had no idea of this law. I got off the bike, started pumping gas and the dude came walking over to me asking me repeatedly if he could pump my gas for me. I said no and he seemed worried about it so I asked and he told me of the Oregon law. I apologized and as politely as possible said I don't want anyone but me putting gas in my bike. Ended up taking a detour around Oregon on the way back south.

If I recall, I believe the so-called 'mini serve' they put into law was done at a time long ago to help increase jobs and the law never got taken off the books or revisited to see if it was still pertinent/needed.
Quite interesting that he wanted to pump for your motorcycle. I live in Oregon and whenever I fill up while riding they always hand me the nozzle. They get all worried about spilling gas on your tank and would rather that you do it. I don't mind them pumping for my car though since then it's raining on them instead of me.
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWBRZ View Post

Ding!

And it works. Also fewer people light themselves on fire in that state. Also, it's not like you have to remain in your car either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Note to self: Don't move to Oregon.
Maybe, but the PacNW isn't so bad when it comes to things like... having enough water.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Maybe, but the PacNW isn't so bad when it comes to things like... having enough water.
Oh, I agree. And once I retire I'm thinking of setting up shop in either the PacNW or the very northeast, such as Maine. I just don't trust the kind of people that look for jobs pumping gas to do their job correctly.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Oh, I agree. And once I retire I'm thinking of setting up shop in either the PacNW or the very northeast, such as Maine. I just don't trust the kind of people that look for jobs pumping gas to do their job correctly.
News at 11, sarcastic gas attendant thinks he knows more than you? Find out why hes wrong at 11.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Frogamazog

Drives: Soon to be a BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I drove through Oregon once on my way up to Alaska and had some 50 year old hippie pump my gas. Then a few hundred miles later I get a check engine light. I was about to drive up the Alaska highway so kind of freaked out and took it straight to a dealer. 2 hours and $79 later they told me I had a lose gas cap.