follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #43
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If by peaky, you mean linear powerband yes
Thanks MIke, I knew you'd be here

Fact is, N/A engine vs. centrifigual engine, the N/A engine will almost always be more "linear". (Linear in my mind being a flat torque curve, like a vette) This gives the advantage of a larger power band, which is very useful for a DD or around lower speed bends.

I mean, the cayman S dyno looks like a stock FT86 dyno, with the torque moved up ~75 lb. ft.

Just saying, because the OP obviously likes N/A engines.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #44
Sonolin
Banned

In comparison here's all 3 cars stock dynos

FT86

Cayman S

s2000

Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #45
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Thanks MIke, I knew you'd be here

Fact is, N/A engine vs. centrifigual engine, the N/A engine will almost always be more "linear". (Linear in my mind being a flat torque curve, like a vette) This gives the advantage of a larger power band, which is very useful for a DD or around lower speed bends.

I mean, the cayman S dyno looks like a stock FT86 dyno, with the torque moved up ~75 lb. ft.

Just saying, because the OP obviously likes N/A engines.
Why are you so concerned with dynos? How often are you WOT from a stop or driving around town? If you're not WOT, you're not making that torque...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Why are you so concerned with dynos? How often are you WOT from a stop or driving around town? If you're not WOT, you're not making that torque...
I'm not concerned with dynos. I'm concerned when they help my argument.

I'm just trying to provide data to OP. He can interpret how he wishes. I'm not looking to argue with you, I fully agree with you that a blown s2000 is faster, I'm just pointing out some of the differences where a stock N/A cayman S is better.

There's plenty of others as well...

1) Beautiful flat 6 sound track
2) COG & handling
3) Interior

Just to name a few.

s2000 benefits in my eyes

1) Higher RPMs
2) Cheaper (both maintenance, and to make faster than the cayman as well)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #47
CSG Mike

torque is a function of displacement, and while it'll feel faster, it's not always the case. What you really feel is "jerk" or the change in acceleration.

I do have a lot of seat time in a Cayman R, which is fun
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #48
Sonolin
Banned

Seat time in a Cayman R sounds amazing. I'm planning a trip to vegas this year and thinking about doing Exotics racing with cayman s (or turbo s not sure), new c7, & gt-r as my 3 cars. That should be interesting

Also sorry about outright shooting down the s2000, I didnt' read the entire OP and thought he was considering selling his FRS for a supercharged s2000. I just didn't want him selling his FRS for yet another s2000 and being unhappy again

Glad you got the car you want in the end OP. You should post some pictures I love the look of a Cayman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonolin For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (03-26-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #49
CSG Mike

Why go to Vegas when you can do it in California in Fontana
Old 03-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #50
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Ironically enough a low mileage used Cayman S may have fallen into my lap

2008 Cayman S, 33K miles, 6-speed, blue, 1 owner (older gentleman), never tracked, no accident, clean Car Fax. $29K

The story is rather sad. The owner and his wife are clients of my brother-in-law (financial advisor) and the owner passed away unexpectedly (in his late 60's). My brother-in-law has developed a relationship with them over the past 15 years and the passing was sudden. They often chatted cars and would have lunch together over the years. The widow has offered to sell the car to my brother-in-law below dealer trade-in value as she wants the car to go to someone who is an enthusiast and will take good care of it.

My brother-in-law just bought an expensive vehicle and told the widow about me and that I have been wanting a Cayman S and my love for cars. I spoke to her on the phone and she is such an amazing woman. She clearly loved her husband and wants the car to go to me so that I can send her pictures from time to time and keep her updated on the car.

Problem is the car is in Florida and I am in Minnesota My brother-in-law has offered to take the car to his previous Porsche mechanic to get it checked out thoroughly and then keep the car garaged for me until I can come to retrieve the car.

I don't like making impulse purchases, but this may be too good to pass up and I have already started lining up financing (plan on putting at least half down).

I am going to think about it this weekend and decide on Monday what to do. The money is not the issue, but too be honest, I have three young kids and I really don't know if this is the best way to spend $30K right now. My plan was to have my WRX paid off in two years and then buy something fun and my wife was onboard with the idea.

So I am going to take the weekend to think it through and decide Monday morning. I won't lie. I want the car. But the practical side of me doesn't want to be selfish with a young family and spending $30K on a car that I really will only drive occasionally and 6 months out of the year.

Decisions..
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (03-26-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #51
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Ironically enough a low mileage used Cayman S may have fallen into my lap

2008 Cayman S, 33K miles, 6-speed, blue, 1 owner (older gentleman), never tracked, no accident, clean Car Fax. $29K

The story is rather sad. The owner and his wife are clients of my brother-in-law (financial advisor) and the owner passed away unexpectedly (in his late 60's). My brother-in-law has developed a relationship with them over the past 15 years and the passing was sudden. They often chatted cars and would have lunch together over the years. The widow has offered to sell the car to my brother-in-law below dealer trade-in value as she wants the car to go to someone who is an enthusiast and will take good care of it.

My brother-in-law just bought an expensive vehicle and told the widow about me and that I have been wanting a Cayman S and my love for cars. I spoke to her on the phone and she is such an amazing woman. She clearly loved her husband and wants the car to go to me so that I can send her pictures from time to time and keep her updated on the car.

Problem is the car is in Florida and I am in Minnesota My brother-in-law has offered to take the car to his previous Porsche mechanic to get it checked out thoroughly and then keep the car garaged for me until I can come to retrieve the car.

I don't like making impulse purchases, but this may be too good to pass up and I have already started lining up financing (plan on putting at least half down).

I am going to think about it this weekend and decide on Monday what to do. The money is not the issue, but too be honest, I have three young kids and I really don't know if this is the best way to spend $30K right now. My plan was to have my WRX paid off in two years and then buy something fun and my wife was onboard with the idea.

So I am going to take the weekend to think it through and decide Monday morning. I won't lie. I want the car. But the practical side of me doesn't want to be selfish with a young family and spending $30K on a car that I really will only drive occasionally and 6 months out of the year.

Decisions..
Really hard choice there. Have you driven a cayman? If not try to do so. If you love the car, want it, can afford it, do it!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #52
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Really hard choice there. Have you driven a cayman? If not try to do so. If you love the car, want it, can afford it, do it!
Yes, I have driven one. It ranks up there as one of the cars I would love to own. Lotus Elise would be right up there with it for the price. I think the Porsche is a little more practical And this seems like a good deal. If I bought the car and decided to sell it, I doubt I would lose anything.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #53
Ouhei

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I sold my s2000 for the BRZ and the Cayman was on the short list when I was car shopping. After driving one I wasn't nearly impressed enough to spend ~30k on a 8 year old car.

I've always loved them so when I knew they were in my price range I had to drive one. Handling is amazing and the power is fantastic, but holy hell that gear box is probably the worst manual I've driven. I know I was coming from an s2000 at the time but going from 2nd to 3rd felt like complete guess work, once it was out of gear it felt like it was in this void and you kind of just had to hope you found the slot for the next gear. The salesman told me the newer models had a much better feel and they had a short shift kit for the older ones that made it much better.

I ended up with the BRZ because I could buy it brand new, in daily driving it's fun and sporty (which is 95% of the driving I do) and it had a lot of creature comforts I was hoping for. I've had the BRZ for 3 months or so now and I'm very happy with it. I could see being let down by the power if you were a track junky I guess but it hasn't bothered me one bit, it has enough to be fun on the roads
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #54
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
If you don't plan on boosting the s2000 (no experience with them there, but the supercharged s2000 seem to be very peaky), I'd say just get the Cayman S. You obviously want more power, like N/A engines, etc. Get the car you really want.
People use superchargers because they are NOT peaky... but even smaller turbos spool up pretty fast and are pretty linear nowadays. Some still prefer superchargers for time attack style racing though, because of a smoother/more linear/similar to NA feel. They don't have a sudden wallop of torque.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #55
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Yes, I have driven one. It ranks up there as one of the cars I would love to own. Lotus Elise would be right up there with it for the price. I think the Porsche is a little more practical And this seems like a good deal. If I bought the car and decided to sell it, I doubt I would lose anything.
That's a tough spot to be in, though that Cayman is a screaming deal! I'm legitimately jealous

Let us know what you decide.

And just to clarify for some people that (maybe?) didn't read the whole thread; I've owned an S2000, then BRZ and now a Cayman S. This thread was meant to offer insight for others that are maybe thinking about any of these 3 cars, since they are compared all the time.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #56
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
People use superchargers because they are NOT peaky... but even smaller turbos spool up pretty fast and are pretty linear nowadays. Some still prefer superchargers for time attack style racing though, because of a smoother/more linear/similar to NA feel. They don't have a sudden wallop of torque.
Centrifugal blowers are quite peaky as they build boost with rpm. Vortech supercharged S2000 is peakier than stock:
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, cayman, s2000