follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #449
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunonuna View Post
Can anyone tell me how this exhaust sound differ from Q300?
In every way, they're not even in the same universe. I've heard both in person. The q300 can diaf as far as I'm concerned, the lg90 makes the car sound like a Porsche.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-09-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #450
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
In every way, they're not even in the same universe. I've heard both in person. The q300 can diaf as far as I'm concerned, the lg90 makes the car sound like a Porsche.
How about loudness??
Your comment made me more interested in this catback lol tho.
nunonuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 AM   #451
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunonuna View Post
How about loudness??
Your comment made me more interested in this catback lol tho.
This is probably the quietest exhaust you can put on the car, I think it's quieter than stock.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 AM   #452
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
Going back to the topic of reverse lights...

Is it in the realm of possibility to cut the center fog light out of the reverse light module to provide enough room for the exhaust tip to pass through while still retaining it's function?

Assuming the above is possible, would some heat shield between the exhaust tip, and the reverse light, be enough to stop it from melting/failing from the heat?

If the above is a no go then a simple standalone aftermarket or subaru reverse lights with compatible wiring/connector might be the easiest fix. I'm thinking of placing the standalone reverse light in the empty space next to the exhaust tip (assuming heat isn't an issue) or maybe to the right of the bumper close to the stock exhaust tip.

Right now I'm having trouble finding standalone aftermarket/OEM reverse lights as a google search of 'subaru reverse light' is giving me results for replacement bulbs or reverse lights integrated with tail lights
I'm already bought another reverse light module to make a center hole, but not yet started. As watching several stock bumpers of recent cars, I think this could be done.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #453
AxisPower

Drives: 23 GT4RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but if this redesign also had an option for a quad tip outlet that fit a trd rear bumper that would be awesome.
AxisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #454
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is probably the quietest exhaust you can put on the car, I think it's quieter than stock.
It takes all the "ratta-tatta-tatta" and turns it into "raffa-taffa-taffa."
Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #455
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Bump.

My wife swears she saw another Ultramarine or GBS with an LG90 in Camas the other day. He had relocated his backups to cover the original exhaust cutouts. YOHB?

I've been lazy about getting my backups working.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:09 AM   #456
Williampreza

Drives: 2017 Ice Silver BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Bump.

My wife swears she saw another Ultramarine or GBS with an LG90 in Camas the other day. He had relocated his backups to cover the original exhaust cutouts. YOHB?

I've been lazy about getting my backups working.

Rigid Industries makes a set of flush mount backup lights. My plan (when I get this exhaust eventually) is to mount those in exhaust cutout covers and terminate the leads with wedge type connectors (easy to find on ebay). That way everything looks nice, but is also completely reversible JIC
Williampreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Williampreza For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 01:38 AM   #457
retrofit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's been a while since I've posted. Anyway just an update after months of using this catback.

On the decibels front the catback does seem to deliver on the <90db claim. The rasp I was experiencing on my previous setup, while not completely gone, has moved into a more acceptable rpm range. It's good to report I no longer get headaches from the exhaust noise on my long drives to and from work.

It would be nice to know if it's possible to completely eliminate the rasp or move it way up into the high rpm range. Would changing to a full Ace exhaust help?

I'm still struggling with finding a decent reverse light replacement. I tried fabricating my own reverse light using a Honda clear lens indicator but it looks really ghetto after cutting a hole in the bumper and installing it. Also the rear bumper being designed for a dual tip exhaust doesn't really work with the center exit imo.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a diffuser and aftermarket reverse light combination that might work with a center exit exhaust?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
retrofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 AM   #458
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
retrofit: try DAMD / Nova one? No clue if they will work/fit with Ace's though, but IIRC they included backup light.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #459
retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
retrofit: try DAMD / Nova one? No clue if they will work/fit with Ace's though, but IIRC they included backup light.
Thanks. I'll do a bit of research. I can't seem to find the Nova on google though?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 AM   #460
johan

Quote:
It's been a while since I've posted. Anyway just an update after months of using this catback.

On the decibels front the catback does seem to deliver on the <90db claim. The rasp I was experiencing on my previous setup, while not completely gone, has moved into a more acceptable rpm range. It's good to report I no longer get headaches from the exhaust noise on my long drives to and from work.

It would be nice to know if it's possible to completely eliminate the rasp or move it way up into the high rpm range. Would changing to a full Ace exhaust help?

I'm still struggling with finding a decent reverse light replacement. I tried fabricating my own reverse light using a Honda clear lens indicator but it looks really ghetto after cutting a hole in the bumper and installing it. Also the rear bumper being designed for a dual tip exhaust doesn't really work with the center exit imo.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a diffuser and aftermarket reverse light combination that might work with a center exit exhaust?

What taillights do you have? OEM 13-16 lights? If so, you can do the tail-as-turn module w/reverse light mod and it works great.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:05 AM   #461
retrofit

Quote:
What taillights do you have? OEM 13-16 lights? If so, you can do the tail-as-turn module w/reverse light mod and it works great.
Thanks but unfortunately I dismissed this option early on because it doesn't meet my local regulations.

Funny thing is running without reverse lights would be less obvious. I'm also on aftermarket Valentis at the moment

Old 10-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #462
johan

Quote:
Thanks but unfortunately I dismissed this option early on because it doesn't meet my local regulations.

Funny thing is running without reverse lights would be less obvious. I'm also on aftermarket Valentis at the moment

How on earth do valentis pass and modded oem doesn't?