follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
SolderGlob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy DTC: P0335, P0011, P0345, P0340

I picked up a used '13 FR-S a couple of months ago and have been loving it ever since... Well, up until a few days ago and I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me out.

A couple of days ago I was on my way to work on the interstate and I noticed the car was making a 'chirping' noise from under the hood. Luckily I wasn't that far from my destination when the noise cropped up. I got to work and popped the hood to see if I could locate the sound and it appeared to originate from the belt. I noticed that the tensioner pulley was bouncing up and down which coincided with the squeaks so I figured I'd thrown a bearing on the alternator, A/C, or some other device and I'd inspect it further when I got home. I never made it home with a running car....

On my way I was going to pass a car when the REAL issue popped up. First the car went into limp mode (CEL, slip warning lights) and then a few minutes later when I tapped the gas and the car revved but didn't accelerate. I immediately switched to the left lane and got onto the shoulder of the interstate. Once I got to the shoulder I put the car into park and the motor shut down as if it was overloaded. I went to go to start it and nada. I can hear the starter whirring away, but it doesn't seem to want to engage the flywheel. Interesting, yeah?

I was able to pull the error codes from it: P0335, P0011, P0345, P0340 which are camshaft/crankshaft position sensor errors. But this doesn't line up with the issues I experienced right before the car died because it was running fine, it just wasn't moving. No other DTCs were found.

So, does anyone have any insight they may be able to share as to what the issue may be, or have had similar issues?
SolderGlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Chronology
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 14' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 192
Thanks: 44
Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is a break down on the codes - http://ft86tech.com/frs-brz-error-codes/

P0335,P0336 CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR “A” CIRCUIT
P000A,P000C,P0011,P0012 CAMSHAFT POSITION “A” – TIMING SLOW RESPONSE BANK 1
P0340,P0341,P0345,P0346 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION


From you post I know you already have read up on this. A few things come to mind:

1. What oil viscosity are you using?
2. Have you done a full ECM reset?
3. Are you running a tune?
4. Check out - S-SB-0033-13 - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45844

From the Service Log -

Some 2013 model year FR-S vehicles may exhibit intake and/or exhaust camshaft position sensor
related and/or engine misfire DTCs (P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391,
P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304) due to the camshaft position sensor clearance being out of
specification. In addition, some vehicles may also experience rough idle or extended cranking. This
bulletin provides inspection and repair procedures to address this condition
__________________
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,850
Thanks: 10,492
Thanked 7,033 Times in 3,644 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Tensioner pulley is meant to move, video below.
Chirping could be a belt, or it could be normal operation noise, hard to tell.

Just so you don't go chasing something that's not a problem.
I'd pursue the TSB above, with a dealer if you don't want to DIY, if you're under 60k miles it should be a free fix, regardless of whether you're the first owner or not.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
SolderGlob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
From you post I know you already have read up on this. A few things come to mind:

1. What oil viscosity are you using?
2. Have you done a full ECM reset?
3. Are you running a tune?
4. Check out - S-SB-0033-13 - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45844

From the Service Log -

Some 2013 model year FR-S vehicles may exhibit intake and/or exhaust camshaft position sensor
related and/or engine misfire DTCs (P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391,
P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304) due to the camshaft position sensor clearance being out of
specification. In addition, some vehicles may also experience rough idle or extended cranking. This
bulletin provides inspection and repair procedures to address this condition
1. I'm not sure what oil they put in when I bought and I haven't put enough miles on it to warrant an oil change, >3k miles on it in the ~2 months that I've had it.
2. NO ECM reset, I'm not sure how to do that.
3. No tune. The car is stock at this point(don't worry, i'll change that sometime soon, maybe)
4. I did read that the other night when I pulled the codes. But it doesn't add up since the symptoms don't seem to match up with the error codes. My thought, and there isn't much documentation on this, but it seems to me that trying to start the car MAY have caused those DTCs.
SolderGlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
SolderGlob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Tensioner pulley is meant to move, video below.
Chirping could be a belt, or it could be normal operation noise, hard to tell.

Just so you don't go chasing something that's not a problem.
I'd pursue the TSB above, with a dealer if you don't want to DIY, if you're under 60k miles it should be a free fix, regardless of whether you're the first owner or not.

Scion FR-S adjustment belt pulley tensioner - YouTube
It only has ~36k on it. I'm having it towed to a Toyota dealer to have them service it since it's still under warranty. It just seems odd that a camshaft sensor would not allow the car to turn over.
SolderGlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Chronology
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 14' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 192
Thanks: 44
Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolderGlob View Post
It only has ~36k on it. I'm having it towed to a Toyota dealer to have them service it since it's still under warranty. It just seems odd that a camshaft sensor would not allow the car to turn over.
From my brief reading, it seems that if the cam physical position is too advanced or retarded the car will rough start, fail to start or something in the middle. So the sensor says one thing to the ECM but physically it's in a diffrent position.
__________________
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
SolderGlob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got a call from the dealer and it's a bad flywheel. Luckily it's still under the manufacturers power train warranty so it won't be as expensive as I thought it would be.

Thanks for your help!
SolderGlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
Chronology
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 14' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 192
Thanks: 44
Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolderGlob View Post
I got a call from the dealer and it's a bad flywheel. Luckily it's still under the manufacturers power train warranty so it won't be as expensive as I thought it would be.

Thanks for your help!
Just out of curiosity, did you have or feel any gear slippage? Burnt toast? Are they going to check the clutch?

Glad they are fixing it.
__________________
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
SolderGlob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you have or feel any gear slippage? Burnt toast? Are they going to check the clutch?

Glad they are fixing it.
This is an AT model. The only think I noticed was lag and hard downshifting into 1st gear.
SolderGlob is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering buying a lemon buyback BRZ, have repair history (P000A and P0011 codes) ZDan Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 21 02-19-2016 03:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.