follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #29
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It really depends on your area. Where I live the rain gutters and crowns on the road are so bad my sister scrapes her Chrysler Pacifica backing out of her driveway unless she does it absolutely perfect.

It is the lip though, I have a series.blue and even being as careful as I can the front lip broke in six months. Others in the area have done the same. But that lip is total garbage, if you get a strong enough one it should be able to deal with minor scrapes.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #30
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Give this thread a read. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345 The guy knows of what he speaks. It may give you some insight into the compromises that you must make when you make changes to your car (and every mod is a compromise of some kind).

Remember that every scrape does some damage to a part of your car. If it is a plastic lip then it is not that big a deal. That is just aesthetics. If it is a pinch seam then it is removing paint and exposing bare metal which will eventually begin to rust. If it is the exhaust then it will eventually lead to a hole which will leak. If you care about the longevity of your car then you want to avoid scraping.

I installed RCE yellows on my son's FR-S which gave a .75 inch drop. I run coilovers and a 1.25 inch drop on my MR2 Spyder. Both cars looks a little better IMO. The FR-S never seems to scrape. The Spyder almost never scrapes anything unless going into or out of a steep drive where the front lip may touch. Both drops are modest enough to not mess up the suspension geometry and both cars were properly aligned after lowering.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #31
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Ditto.

Under specific track conditions, three times until the mis-aligned CV joints explode.
Lowering reduces suspension travel.
But did it handle better, prior to the failure? lower Cg is rarely, if ever, a bad thing, in regards to handling.

Reduced suspension travel needs to be compensated for in the spring rates, dampers, and/or the bump stops, depending on your goals.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #32
Dreamzqt

Drives: 2014 limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lower it and buy a solid splitter mines like a black sexy sheet of metal
Dreamzqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 AM   #33
Dreamzqt

Drives: 2014 limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Thanks man. What lip do you have and would you recommend having one? I love the look of them especially on white, but I can imagine it being a pain having to be extra careful everywhere you go.
https://www.aeroflowdynamics.com/col...nt=15917573251

super thin sheet of metal

I've hit shit and this splitter was bent 90 degrees

took it off and beat it with a mallet and its back to normal lol
Dreamzqt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamzqt For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (01-01-2019)