follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Aftermarket andriod auto HU works with stock microphone

Anyone know if or why all the units do not work with the stock microphone. Can it be rewired to work? If so what's the best way? I am looking at the Sony or jboss unit on crutchfeild.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
JBezugs (09-16-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114212
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95444

In a nutshell, it's an externally amplified circuit that is powered by the radio. Aftermarket radios do not operate in this way. Many have tried, but all have agreed that in the rare case you get signal to the headunit, it's garbage compared to just running an aftermarket mic.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (09-21-2018), TofuJoe (11-03-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
jflogerzi

Garage
I have given up on this idea and will run the new mic via the passenger side pillar and up the headliner to replace the stock mic. I picked up from Crutchfield a Boss BVCP9675A with a pre-made wire harness and a few adapters for 300$ shipped. Its the cheapest digital only Andriod Auto/Car Play receiver that fits the twin they sell. I just want AA and something that matches the stock head unit sound wise.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 10-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
austinvojta

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I have given up on this idea and will run the new mic via the passenger side pillar and up the headliner to replace the stock mic. I picked up from Crutchfield a Boss BVCP9675A with a pre-made wire harness and a few adapters for 300$ shipped. Its the cheapest digital only Andriod Auto/Car Play receiver that fits the twin they sell. I just want AA and something that matches the stock head unit sound wise.
How'd your install go? I just purchased a 2016 BRZ earlier this week and a new head unit is priority #1. Looking for similar thing as you - just something with Android Auto, CarPlay, and reasonable-looking controls and interface.
austinvojta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinvojta View Post
How'd your install go? I just purchased a 2016 BRZ earlier this week and a new head unit is priority #1. Looking for similar thing as you - just something with Android Auto, CarPlay, and reasonable-looking controls and interface.
install went well. Took less then 1 hour thanks to the ready made harness. This includes running the new mic to the OEM location. This radio is very bare bones, but it's simple, looks decent, no menu lag, good touch screen and decent startup speeds. AA works well. Have not tested Car play yet. Stock USB port works perfectly and raido reception was fine. No HD radio but the stock HD radio reception was very hit and miss so I am glad it's gone. For sound quality is decent. I would say it's very close to stock. The EQ adjustments are basic at best. All in all I am happy with it and fits very well. Looks OEM with the kit from crutchfeild. Let me know if you want to anything else.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 11-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
austinvojta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
install went well. Took less then 1 hour thanks to the ready made harness. This includes running the new mic to the OEM location. This radio is very bare bones, but it's simple, looks decent, no menu lag, good touch screen and decent startup speeds. AA works well. Have not tested Car play yet. Stock USB port works perfectly and raido reception was fine. No HD radio but the stock HD radio reception was very hit and miss so I am glad it's gone. For sound quality is decent. I would say it's very close to stock. The EQ adjustments are basic at best. All in all I am happy with it and fits very well. Looks OEM with the kit from crutchfeild. Let me know if you want to anything else.
Hey, so I went a similar route and got the Sony XAV-XA100, another very cheap CP/AA compatible unit. My two remaining issues are:

1. The rearview camera only works when in reverse, not when I try viewing it with the "Camera" button on my head unit.
2. I grounded the e-brake wire from my car, and the e-brake connection to the head unit. Now my BRAKE light on the dash is constantly on.

Did you run into either of these problems?
Old 11-01-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
1. Connect your camera hot wire to +15V, not reverse. The only issue is that your camera will be powered when key is on, IDK if it affects lifetime.
2. You don’t have to wire the handbrake wire, but just the wire from the unit. Leave the e-brake wire where it is.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
austinvojta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
1. Connect your camera hot wire to +15V, not reverse. The only issue is that your camera will be powered when key is on, IDK if it affects lifetime.
2. You don’t have to wire the handbrake wire, but just the wire from the unit. Leave the e-brake wire where it is.
Thank you! So just remove the e-brake wire of the 28-pin connector from my bundle of grounds?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I understand that some people are very anal about everything looking stock, but it no longer looks stock once you swap out the head unit anyway... so I don't understand why people want to go to so much trouble to force the stock microphone to work. The mic included with an aftermarket head unit will work better anyway and it can be tucked away so that it is out of sight.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinvojta View Post
Thank you! So just remove the e-brake wire of the 28-pin connector from my bundle of grounds?

Yes, the pin 28 from connector has not to be connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
I understand that some people are very anal about everything looking stock, but it no longer looks stock once you swap out the head unit anyway... so I don't understand why people want to go to so much trouble to force the stock microphone to work. The mic included with an aftermarket head unit will work better anyway and it can be tucked away so that it is out of sight.

Because aftermarket mic is ugly.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #11
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Yes, the pin 28 from connector has not to be connected.

Because aftermarket mic is ugly.
Again... the aftermarket mic can be hidden where it won't be seen. Some have installed it under the same cover where the factory mic is located, so you literally can't tell that it is there.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
Again... the aftermarket mic can be hidden where it won't be seen. Some have installed it under the same cover where the factory mic is located, so you literally can't tell that it is there.
So i did that once.. it badly impacts audio quality for the caller. The aftermarket mics have little noise canceling inlets on the sides that dont function correctly if you bury the mic into the oem housing. Mines now just in the same location, but attached to the outside.. not a single person has ever noticed that I didn't point it out to.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
So i did that once.. it badly impacts audio quality for the caller. The aftermarket mics have little noise canceling inlets on the sides that dont function correctly if you bury the mic into the oem housing. Mines now just in the same location, but attached to the outside.. not a single person has ever noticed that I didn't point it out to.
Yeah... like I said, I just don't see it being worth hacking into the stock microphone just to end up with subpar microphone quality (based on what users who have done this reported) when the tiny aftermarket mic can be positioned to where nobody is going to notice it or give a damn except the anal retentive owner.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I ended up making a small closed cell foam housing which the after market HU mic slips into. All is then placed into the OEM bracket / grill with the OEM mic removed and setting off to the side above the headliner. The foam isolates the JVC / Kenwood HU mic and it's side openings from that roof / road noise above the headliner. Audio quality for those at the other end of the conversation is now the same as when the the aftermarket mic was installed below the headliner.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigVM For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (11-03-2018), TofuJoe (11-03-2018)