follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #15
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I still think the premise of this thread is silly so not entirely sure why I'm still here. Anyway...

Am I missing something? Why are people recommending shit based off of CARB when CA was never mentioned? CARB is either pricey, low performing, or has some weird design shit going on to meet CA's skewed views on... well, almost everything.

He already said he wanted a turbo. He already said he wanted UEL. Just get a JDL. Factor in $700-1000 for either ECUtek License, Cable, and Tune, or for an OFT and tune. I think we're done here.
Summerwolf (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
bad82

Drives: 17 BRZ PP,16 Juke Nismo RS AWD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Edelbrock Supercharger and done.

Carb compliant, 240whp, 100000 mile maintenance interval, retain warranty
In what world can you boost your car and retain your warranty?

What am I missing? Some massive loophole?

Or are you saying that the parts carry their own warranty?
bad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
SBD seems to meet all requirements except the UEL, which.... the kit comes with a manifold that makes proven power so... yeah. No need for UEL header, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
I still think the premise of this thread is silly so not entirely sure why I'm still here. Anyway...

Am I missing something? Why are people recommending shit based off of CARB when CA was never mentioned? CARB is either pricey, low performing, or has some weird design shit going on to meet CA's skewed views on... well, almost everything.

He already said he wanted a turbo. He already said he wanted UEL. Just get a JDL. Factor in $700-1000 for either ECUtek License, Cable, and Tune, or for an OFT and tune. I think we're done here.
I mentioned the works because it allows for EVERYTHING he asked for. That it's also carb approved is just a bonus. That and they already include a tune and tactrix in the carb version that meets his hp requirements, so no need for ecutek...

Besides, the works uses the stock header placement so he can choose whatever uel header he wants. With the jdl, he's stuck using their header.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #19
S. Snake

Drives: 13' Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad82 View Post
In what world can you boost your car and retain your warranty?

What am I missing? Some massive loophole?

Or are you saying that the parts carry their own warranty?

The Edelbrock e-force kit with certain stipulations affords you a limited powertrain warranty and also a warranty on the supercharger system itself as long as its installed by an ASE mechanic. Its at the bottom of the description on most websites that sell the edelbrock kit.
S. Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #20
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Electro.../dp/B00QF84ZJ8
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #21
Eris-time

Drives: Fast looking but slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
The cheapest UEL turbo ...
thanks for pointing me at the JDL!! I'm going to dig deeper into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Snake View Post
From when I was looking...
thanks for the advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Just get a works stage 2 ...
i'll research that one too!

thanks for the valuable input y'all, i really appreciate it!

I have a question.. what other parts would be needed to keep the car running correctly? I know there were mentions of oil catch cans and such.. Turbos are so interesting
Eris-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #22
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Catch can, oil cooler, radiator upgrades not necessarily required. Where I live is rather warm, but looking at things big picture, I don't really push my car at all and my temps stay well within my personal comfort zone.

You do need a tune however and need to start looking into ECUtek and OpenFlash Tablet which will add another $700-1000(ish) to your overall cost. This is not optional.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:27 AM   #23
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Quote:
@Cole with the real answers.

If you absolutely must have a turbo and you must have UEL sound, just get JDL V2 with no options and call this thread done.

I mean... by what measure? I don't have to worry about belts or an LTR cooling loop anymore, and I'm checking my oil regularly anyway. I always hear this argument and then wonder what the shit people are doing that requires so much "turbo maintenance".
Of course a lot of this depends on the Supercharger kit.

I'll list some examples,

For a turbo kit from what I've read you will almost always need

1. Boost controller
2. Boost gauges
3. Oil Pan
4. Sometimes you may need to port the waste gate

When compared to lets say the Edelbrock SC.

You install the kit, thats it. Don't need controller, don't need gauges to monitor if you overboots (because you can't), don't need an oil pan and don't need to port a waste gate.

Its more points of failure.

Now i'm not saying SC are better than turbo's by any means. I myself sold my Edelbrock so that i can start my turbo build. but thats just been my experience thus far.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 AM   #24
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Of course a lot of this depends on the Supercharger kit.

I'll list some examples,

For a turbo kit from what I've read you will almost always need

1. Boost controller
2. Boost gauges
3. Oil Pan
4. Sometimes you may need to port the waste gate

When compared to lets say the Edelbrock SC.

You install the kit, thats it. Don't need controller, don't need gauges to monitor if you overboots (because you can't), don't need an oil pan and don't need to port a waste gate.

Its more points of failure.

Now i'm not saying SC are better than turbo's by any means. I myself sold my Edelbrock so that i can start my turbo build. but thats just been my experience thus far.
You're doing the same thing that I did actually. My Edelbrock had a lot of issues though.

Anyway, wastegate controls boost by definition, and if it's ported correctly in the first place there's no issue. I have an opinion that most people with an 86 don't even need a boost controller. For user-controllable ones, it's just temptation to dial it up from wastegate pressure. For EBCS, it's next to useless on a stock motor because it can't hold much higher boost than what most manufacturers have their IWGs set to.

Yes, there is the possibility that the boost reference could pop off of the wastegate and it doesn't open, but if it's hooked it up right in the first place, it's not an issue. Personally, I undersize the hose a bit and double zip it in place. Is the chance it could come off non-zero? No. Is it something I worry about? Nope. On top of that, your tuner should be implementing software overboost protection.

A dedicated boost gauge isn't necessarily required in my opinion. You can get away with the Torque app and an OBD reader as the factory reading is quite accurate compared to a standalone gauge.

The oil pan thing is real though unless you go with AVO's weird system of using the rear cam plate for return. It's a bitch to remove the factory pan, but honestly once it's done, it's done. Mine has never leaked.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #25
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Quote:
You're doing the same thing that I did actually. My Edelbrock had a lot of issues though.

Anyway, wastegate controls boost by definition, and if it's ported correctly in the first place there's no issue. I have an opinion that most people with an 86 don't even need a boost controller. For user-controllable ones, it's just temptation to dial it up from wastegate pressure. For EBCS, it's next to useless on a stock motor because it can't hold much higher boost than what most manufacturers have their IWGs set to.

Yes, there is the possibility that the boost reference could pop off of the wastegate and it doesn't open, but if it's hooked it up right in the first place, it's not an issue. Personally, I undersize the hose a bit and double zip it in place. Is the chance it could come off non-zero? No. Is it something I worry about? Nope. On top of that, your tuner should be implementing software overboost protection.

A dedicated boost gauge isn't necessarily required in my opinion. You can get away with the Torque app and an OBD reader as the factory reading is quite accurate compared to a standalone gauge.

The oil pan thing is real though unless you go with AVO's weird system of using the rear cam plate for return. It's a bitch to remove the factory pan, but honestly once it's done, it's done. Mine has never leaked.
Yeah i'm not saying this will apply to everyone. But i find these tend to be the most common issues or points of concern for a lot of people.

I'm surprised you had issues with your Edelbrock. Mine ran perfect for about 10k miles. However i did hear that sometimes the tune can negatively effect that kit as some people had really bad luck with Delicious tuning.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Eris-time (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #26
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
I'm surprised you had issues with your Edelbrock. Mine ran perfect for about 10k miles.
This is far from my first rodeo, so I did the install myself as per my personal rule of not letting anyone else touch anything but software. Everything went together great, but the idle would always droop, and if it wasn't warm it would stall. There were random misfires at high load too. I even went through the lengths of ripping everything back out, verifying it would drive in stock form again, then putting everything back together with a friend checking my work on every step, and had the same exact problems. I also had two different tunes. Anyway, I don't think the hardware was the problem and still think it's one of the best kits.
Eris-time (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Quote:
Yeah i'm not saying this will apply to everyone. But i find these tend to be the most common issues or points of concern for a lot of people.

I'm surprised you had issues with your Edelbrock. Mine ran perfect for about 10k miles. However i did hear that sometimes the tune can negatively effect that kit as some people had really bad luck with Delicious tuning.
Hard to go wrong with Delicious Tunings work with the Edelbrock Kit as long as all of the existing mods on the car's been mentioned.

I'm sitting 12,500 boosted miles with my Edelbrock on a 2017 with Delicious Tunings flash implemented.

Of course, when it comes to any forced induction application, installing hardware is one thing, tuning it; however, is one of the most crucial final steps to making sure it works 100%.

I hope the OP not only finds the kit he wants, but gets it properly tuned as it'll be the final challenge in his goal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Eris-time (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #28
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Install is equally as important as a tune. I can safely say Delicious were not one of the two tuners that I had problems with, but I have heard they can be a mixed bag so I stayed away. Who knows, maybe theirs would have been better.

I tune through James at HRI these days and will never use anyone else for this platform.