follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
onzippy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ways to disable turbo ?

I'd like to flash back to the stock rom for the purpose of ecutek data logging but not interested in removing the turbo kit(AVO). This would be short term setup specific for capturing some logs.

Anyone have thoughts how to impede the turbos ability to create boost without removing it? I was thinking a small check valve on the BOV vacuum line(full recirculating) so vacuum would hold it open but not sure if no load on the compressor is bad thing as it would probably spin faster than normal at WOT.

Thanks for your thoughts.
onzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onzippy View Post
I'd like to flash back to the stock rom for the purpose of ecutek data logging but not interested in removing the turbo kit(AVO). This would be short term setup specific for capturing some logs.

Anyone have thoughts how to impede the turbos ability to create boost without removing it? I was thinking a small check valve on the BOV vacuum line(full recirculating) so vacuum would hold it open but not sure if no load on the compressor is bad thing as it would probably spin faster than normal at WOT.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I think if you installed a bypass on the wastgate's actuator it would keep it from closing, hense no boost at any load...

...it's either that or the wastegate won't open and you'll blow your motor!

(someone who actually knows what they're doing should chime in here)

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (08-26-2014), kbogarto (08-25-2014), onzippy (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
even bypassing the wastegate will still let the car boost to the spring pressure of the wastegate...I think

So if the spring is the wastegate is 5lbs, the lowest you can boost is 5psi

but bump
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
charged86 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'm not sure you'll ever get this to run anywhere near stock even with the turbo disabled. You'll still be running very foreign headers with extra restriction from however you disable the turbo.

What exactly is your purpose here? We may be able to suggest a better alternative if we know what you're truly after.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Can you expand more on why you want to do this? It all sounds like a horrible idea. I am not sure if the MAF placement on the AVO kit will even work with the stock ROM MAF scaling.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
eric6

Drives: 93 MR2 Turbo; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Agreed with above. Their would be two ways I can see doing it, both of which likely won't revert the car back to a "stock" engine VE. You could somehow force the wastegate to stay open all the time, but the turbo would still be turning and probably create a little pressure in the intake. You could somehow force the BOV open at all times, then you're venting any air that the turbo builds, but you're also sucking in un-metered air.

This sounds like a bad idea all around... and for what purpose?
eric6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eric6 For This Useful Post:
aagun (08-27-2014), SkAsphalt (08-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
onzippy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Can you expand more on why you want to do this? It all sounds like a horrible idea. I am not sure if the MAF placement on the AVO kit will even work with the stock ROM MAF scaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post
.....and for what purpose?
I've got an automatic and when I'm driving in traffic I see a little bit of knock under light load at low rpm. ~1300+. If I flog it, no problems. What did it so stock?

"tip in" is how I think people refer to it. There was a member @jamesm who was posting some really interesting information about it but I see he is banned now for some reason?

This isn't the Software tuning section so I don't want to get into it to much but I've driven the car with the turbo and stock rom before but I'm not able to get the IAM to rise to 1 because I can't load it without the boost rising to quickly.

So that's all about the why.

The MAF stays in the stock location wit hthe AVO kit so swapping the MAP to OEM is all I expected to do to keep the ECU happy. I hadn't thought about all the extra restriction on the exhaust side. It probably wouldn't be a valid log anyways if the header and impeller make such a difference in back pressure.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
You can either take the spring out of the waste gate (assuming external) so all the exhaust will dump or take off the bov and let the boost leak out. Either way though you won't get proper readings because you will either have an exhaust leak bypassing your O2 or a boost leak bypassing the MAF. You aren't making boost at 1300 rpms so the turbo shouldn't have anything to do with it.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
onzippy

Garage
Thanks for the ideas. I realize the whole thought is out there on the edge of "wtf did he just ask" but I regret, just a little, not putting more miles on before the turbo. I only put 1k miles before the turbo kit went on. In retrospect I would have done some logging and gotten more of a feel for what a stock car is like. throttle feel, normal engine sounds etc...

Fiddle with the wastegate (internal) seem like a good idea. Maybe I'll try to pin it open or something.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I realize the whole thought is out there on the edge of "wtf did he just ask" but I regret, just a little, not putting more miles on before the turbo. I only put 1k miles before the turbo kit went on. In retrospect I would have done some logging and gotten more of a feel for what a stock car is like. throttle feel, normal engine sounds etc...

Fiddle with the wastegate (internal) seem like a good idea. Maybe I'll try to pin it open or something.
okay well with an internal wastegate you can disconnect the flapper arm and that will let the boost leak out but still have everything pass by the O2 sensor
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
onzippy (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wouldn't do this unless you had to limp the car or something. I would never WOT this disconnected turbo setup.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
onzippy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
okay well with an internal wastegate you can disconnect the flapper arm and that will let the boost leak out but still have everything pass by the O2 sensor
Sounds like a winner. I didn't really want to take the under tray off to get to the turbo... again.... but probably a good place tackle this. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to onzippy For This Useful Post:
STV3 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
onzippy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
I wouldn't do this unless you had to limp the car or something. I would never WOT this disconnected turbo setup.
Agreed. I may not need to go WOT to get the IAM number to rise to 1 but I wanted to cover the gamut in the original question.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
If he loads up the stock tune I can't see any problem with it. With the waste gate arm disconnected the turbo shouldn't build any boost due to the amount of exhaust flow escaping. Plus I believe he is only testing the lower RPM range.