follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #71
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Video feature on this comparo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYaSwd4mmk"]2013 Scion FR-S vs 2013 Mazda MX-5 Club! - Head 2 Head Episode 27 - YouTube[/ame]
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hachiroku For This Useful Post:
M-17 (02-27-2013), switchlanez (02-27-2013), Zaku (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #72
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lol I like how they threw in some antics unlike their past videos. Funny how they toyed with a way to measure fun. Reminds me of a debate I had with the Miata owner @fatoni about how there is no spec or metric used in the automotive industry that gauges driver involvement and feel. I think it was in an FR-S vs S2K thread.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #73
DavidB_FR-S

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had one of the original Miatas and loved it but I guess I need to consider it my first wife as my Scion FR-S is my new love.
DavidB_FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #74
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
That was a surprisingly good read. I got to learn a lot about the current Miata.

And about manta rays....

If anyone's curious to learn more:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...nd_a_Manta_ray

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:
Chad (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #75
Chad

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Did they not think at all of the looks of the car? Considering the FR-S is sex on wheels and the MX-5 looks like something out of the movie Cars.
I agree... even though I'm all about the driving experience as a primary priority. I still would like to open my garage and be excited to see the aggressive stance and styling of a beautiful FR-S staring me down.... Not a smiling cartoony toy car that would probably cause me to shake my head in shame. Its face is way too happy to be taken seriously imo...

Honestly I'm probably one of the biggest driving enthusiasts its just that I find the MX-5 to be one of the ugliest cars in production today, there's really nothing about the styling that I like...

I loved the RX-8 design and if it looked more like that or if they used that chassis I'd seriously consider one and probably be torn between the two. (btw no rotary please lol...)

AND TO CONCLUDE: Would I like to take the MX-5 for a rip around a track or around the block if I had the chance? Hell yes. Would I want to own one? Hell no. It's just one of those cars...
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #76
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I agree... even though I'm all about the driving experience as a primary priority. I still would like to open my garage and be excited to see the aggressive stance and styling of a beautiful FR-S staring me down.... Not a smiling cartoony toy car that would probably cause me to shake my head in shame. Its face is way too happy to be taken seriously imo...

Honestly I'm probably one of the biggest driving enthusiasts its just that I find the MX-5 to be one of the ugliest cars in production today, there's really nothing about the styling that I like...

I loved the RX-8 design and if it looked more like that or if they used that chassis I'd seriously consider one and probably be torn between the two. (btw no rotary please lol...)

AND TO CONCLUDE: Would I like to take the MX-5 for a rip around a track or around the block if I had the chance? Hell yes. Would I want to own one? Hell no. It's just one of those cars...
im not sure either one of these cars is going to be taken seriously anyways. they both really look like cartoons to me. i guess it goes to show that we probably shouldnt weigh looks in a comparison of this sort.

on a side note, the miata is based off of the rx8 chassis.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Chad (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #77
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
im not sure either one of these cars is going to be taken seriously anyways. they both really look like cartoons to me. i guess it goes to show that we probably shouldnt weigh looks in a comparison of this sort.

on a side note, the miata is based off of the rx8 chassis.
Interesting about the chassis, I didn't know that. Just wish they would've carried some of the design over then.

I know the twins are major head turners at least where I'm from but maybe it's because they're just a completely new model on the road.

I know it's all subjective just throwing in my 2 cents on what wasn't covered in the review.

To comment on the much more serious matter that always concerned me about the MX-5 is the rotorious body-roll... NOTE: 9:28 in the video... Again I'd love to buy one but just wouldn't want to own one for a few reasons but to each his/her own.

Also I've always been turned off of convertibles mainly because of the climat where I live it just isn't practical and the 2 seats...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #78
AtlasMick

Drives: FR-S 2013 Asphalt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
This has to be the best review I've seen yet between these two cars. Personally thought about both of them for myself, but in 10 years I'd still want to be driving a coupe.

+1 for his comment about not making a convertible. It would take away from the experience.
AtlasMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #79
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Interesting about the chassis, I didn't know that. Just wish they would've carried some of the design over then.

I know the twins are major head turners at least where I'm from but maybe it's because they're just a completely new model on the road.

I know it's all subjective just throwing in my 2 cents on what wasn't covered in the review.

To comment on the much more serious matter that always concerned me about the MX-5 is the rotorious body-roll... NOTE: 9:28 in the video... Again I'd love to buy one but just wouldn't want to own one for a few reasons but to each his/her own.

Also I've always been turned off of convertibles mainly because of the climat where I live it just isn't practical and the 2 seats...
ill be the first to admit that i believe the frs is the best looking car this side of 60k. my fear is that they styling is too contemporary and wont age as well as the miata.

the nc miata does have a shitton of roll and i think its because that car has to appeal to a larger target. i think its really a minute issue since anybody halfway serious is going to change the suspension anyways. a common first mod is to buy some rx8 sway bars. its a really cheap thing to do and will easily get people to what they imagine a stock sports car should feel like.

i see why people wouldnt want a convertible. i used to hate them too. after my first drive with the top down, i quickly recanted anything i had said about them. its simply amazing but then again i live in socal where i can do that year round (even though i dont since i have a hardtop)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #80
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
ill be the first to admit that i believe the frs is the best looking car this side of 60k. my fear is that they styling is too contemporary and wont age as well as the miata.

the nc miata does have a shitton of roll and i think its because that car has to appeal to a larger target. i think its really a minute issue since anybody halfway serious is going to change the suspension anyways. a common first mod is to buy some rx8 sway bars. its a really cheap thing to do and will easily get people to what they imagine a stock sports car should feel like.

i see why people wouldnt want a convertible. i used to hate them too. after my first drive with the top down, i quickly recanted anything i had said about them. its simply amazing but then again i live in socal where i can do that year round (even though i dont since i have a hardtop)
Yeah good point, it will be interesting to see how the styling ages on the FR-S as styles change.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #81
Colominicano

Drives: 1997 Honda Prelude 5spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
lmao at that table flip scene. that was great.
Colominicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #82
b.e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava, 2007 Tundra
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
What I don't get is how does Mazda, using a 2.0 L engine, get less power using more fuel than the FRS/BRZ?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #83
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.e View Post
What I don't get is how does Mazda, using a 2.0 L engine, get less power using more fuel than the FRS/BRZ?
or how f1 cars used to use a 1.5 liter and get 1500 hp. i guess we will just have to chalk that up to a decade more technology, prius tires, gearing and a social trend demanding more fuel economy from sports cars.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #84
Snozzberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I've owned both of these cars and I have to agree with the article. I had a 2007 MX-5 Touring PRHT and I think I overall liked it ever so slightly more than I like my FR-S. But my FR-S is far more livable as my daily driver and I haven't taken it to the track yet (I will in about 3 months though).
You won't regret taking it to the track. So much fun!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SA2ZI_VY4"]FR-S Fernley 10-2012 - YouTube[/ame]
Snozzberries is offline   Reply With Quote