follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #113
AzureShadow

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Trying to build up the courage to do this mod (more worried about opening them up then the actual solder work), but I do have a few questions on the passenger side specifically.

The blue wire on the passenger side looks like it is soldered between 2 traces. Which trace is it actually connected to? Also the red line to cut the trace under the blue wires looks as though it is going over both traces, but the instructions seem to indicate you just cut the top one, can someone clarify this? And last, on the passenger side, the trace cut to the right of the board looks like it is also meant to be for both traces, is this correct?
AzureShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #114
Organgrinder

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd. D6S Silver
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey all! First time posting, but I've been a lurker for a while.

Definitely been looking forward to doing this mod. When I got my BRZ last year, the first thing I thought was how to engineer a way to make those boomerang's brighter, and this thread is my answer. I am an electronic technician for musical instruments, mainly synths, organs, and electric pianos. I have no questions when it comes to electricity.

The one thing that I am still uncertain about is the actual opening of the headlight housing. I read a thread on how it is done on a scion, by heating the fixture in the oven at 225ºf for 15 minutes, and slowly prying at the corner. Does this method work the same way on the BRZ housing? Any tips on the re-sealing process or will it just reflow naturally in the re-baking process? I'm just trying to avoid any "If I knew then what I know now" moments when the time comes.

Thanks guys, you are all great resources.
Organgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #115
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Afternoon All,

I had a friend who works in the LED automotive lighting industry look this over. He is going to take my lights and design a new PCB that will swap into the headlights with minimal effort. He was impressed to see that Subaru uses Rebel 1W LEDs in this car... apparently most of the automotive industry does not go for quality and longevity in the electronic department (BMW tech even mentioned to him that they "only need these parts to last for 3 years" ) and he liked the design, but thought that it could easily be improved (resistor-diode isn't an effective solution).

As he finishes the designs in his free time he may be interested in testing and selling for those of you who who are less savvy!

If anyone has a broken headlight or knows where to find them cheap, this may even speed of the process, as he can't start work until I get him a headlight. I plan to send him mine, but will need to find a time to switch out my vehicle for the truck.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #116
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Afternoon All,

I had a friend who works in the LED automotive lighting industry look this over. He is going to take my lights and design a new PCB that will swap into the headlights with minimal effort. He was impressed to see that Subaru uses Rebel 1W LEDs in this car... apparently most of the automotive industry does not go for quality and longevity in the electronic department (BMW tech even mentioned to him that they "only need these parts to last for 3 years" ) and he liked the design, but thought that it could easily be improved (resistor-diode isn't an effective solution).

As he finishes the designs in his free time he may be interested in testing and selling for those of you who who are less savvy!

If anyone has a broken headlight or knows where to find them cheap, this may even speed of the process, as he can't start work until I get him a headlight. I plan to send him mine, but will need to find a time to switch out my vehicle for the truck.
I have a broken headlight you guys can use.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #117
Organgrinder

Just finished this up today! All in all, took about 5-6 hours to complete, and the second light went quicker than the first. A good chunk of time was trying to get the side markers reinstalled correctly- they are a pain to get flush again.

Anyways, here is a quick shot of the result before it started to rain (Hopefully a good watertight seal was achieved! Figures the one day it rains in SoCal is the day I do this! :p )

I've not washed the car in a while, and I need to wipe all the fingerprints off the headlights, but you get the idea! The first reaction was when I turned them on in the mid-day sun, which they don't really seem super bright at all; especially off-axis. But when it's a little overcast out, they really shine bright! They even look very good along with the HID's.

Overall, I am very pleased with this mod, and feel it was certainly time well spent. I'm not going to run them very much the next 15 hours or so just to make sure the epoxy fully cures.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #118
AzureShadow

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Could someone please clarify on the few questions I posted earlier, I am really interested in doing this mod.

1. The blue wire on the passenger side looks like it is soldered between 2 traces. Which trace is it actually connected to?

2. The red line to cut the trace under the blue wire on the passenger side looks as though it is going over both traces, but the instructions seem to indicate that you only cut one, can someone clarify this?

3. And last, on the passenger side, the trace cut to the right of the board looks like it is also meant to be for both traces, is this correct?
AzureShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #119
ajcarson11

Andrew has sent me his broken headlight and the design for a new PCB has begun! Will keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
I have a broken headlight you guys can use.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #120
Organgrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureShadow View Post
Could someone please clarify on the few questions I posted earlier, I am really interested in doing this mod.

1. The blue wire on the passenger side looks like it is soldered between 2 traces. Which trace is it actually connected to?

2. The red line to cut the trace under the blue wire on the passenger side looks as though it is going over both traces, but the instructions seem to indicate that you only cut one, can someone clarify this?

3. And last, on the passenger side, the trace cut to the right of the board looks like it is also meant to be for both traces, is this correct?

When you see the trace in person it makes more sense. Basically you are making two cuts to isolate the trace to the LED negative terminal, and you're soldering the blue wire to that.

Last edited by Organgrinder; 07-22-2015 at 01:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Organgrinder For This Useful Post:
Beebe (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #121
Beebe

Drives: Totalled 2/7/15 :'(
Garage
All,

Please look over Acree's DIY once again, there are several of us, (including myself) that noted some specific comments that weren't clear to begin with. He has since graciously included these comments in his write up.

I have done about a dozen of these installs here locally in Houston. it's not hard at all, just requires a lot of time & patience.

Also, the BRZ headlights are identical to the FRS headlights as far as the opening goes. Only difference is the BRZ has more components that need to be removed (ballast & ballast grommet) I prefer to use the oven set at 215 degrees for 15 minutes for both the opening and resealing. Have a friend help you cut the strands of sealant while you pry them apart (I used a interior trim pry tool). This will allow you to conserve the sealant for reuse. No need to add additional sealant as there is already plenty installed by the factory. Out of the 50+ pair of BRZ/FRS headlights I've opened to paint, retrofit, or mod I haven't had any complaints due to condensation.
Beebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #122
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Afternoon All,

Hey Andrew! Hows the Carsmo spoiler coming?

This would be awesome! I am definitely looking to do this upgrade! I have a spare pass BRZ headlight laying around. Would that help?
xkalelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #123
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalelx View Post
Hey Andrew! Hows the Carsmo spoiler coming?

This would be awesome! I am definitely looking to do this upgrade! I have a spare pass BRZ headlight laying around. Would that help?
Hey all -- It's been a while. I've had a few updates from my engineer friend over in TN. He has taken apart the headlight and examined everything and has designs for the board. Unfortunately he's been tied up at work and hasn't done any further testing or production. I'll go track him down and since if we can at least get some boards for testing.

Sam -- The CARSMO is going on this weekend! Just ordered 3M VHB tape from amazon. I'll PM you some more info on the lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
xkalelx (10-07-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #124
RIP.S2000

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue, ('00 S2000)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebe View Post
All,

Please look over Acree's DIY once again, there are several of us, (including myself) that noted some specific comments that weren't clear to begin with. He has since graciously included these comments in his write up.

I have done about a dozen of these installs here locally in Houston. it's not hard at all, just requires a lot of time & patience.
I've really been wanting to do this as well. I modified the boomerangs to run with the DRLs but they barely show in the direct sunlight. I was hoping that @DiodeDynamics would be able to make a plug and play kit to brighten them as I hate messing with factory wiring.

You mind helping me do this one day? I'm also in Houston.
RIP.S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 AM   #125
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Just finished this upgrade. Thanks to @Acree for the write up and to everyone else for the helpful tips. I ended using the soldering iron to smooth over the section that the heat sink was hitting. Very easy upgrade, just very time consuming for a first timer. Cheers.

xkalelx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xkalelx For This Useful Post:
Acree (10-26-2015), eromsdal (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #126
eromsdal
ERO

Drives: '16 Subaru BRZ Series Hyperblue T
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I definitely want to do this...., anyone still doing this for a fee, i could just send mine too? i think i could do it but don't want to risk damaging anything. anyone in the VA area.
eromsdal is offline   Reply With Quote