follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
MObrz5

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru gold plus ext. warranty

When I first bought my car I was planning on staying NA but my feelings have sure shifted in wanting more power! Lol...so I was wondering if anyone has or knows anything about refunding a gold plus ext. Warranty? What kind of hassle could I be looking at from them? I just hope I can get a refund or else I may just be stuck with staying NA for awhile.

Thank you
MObrz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
From what I understand you can have it prorated and it would be credited toward the remaining balance on the loan. there are plenty of threads on her regarding extended warranty cancellation if you do a site specific google search.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MObrz5 View Post
What kind of hassle could I be looking at from them? I just hope I can get a refund or else I may just be stuck with staying NA for awhile.

Thank you
Lets say the hassle for me is when he started his talk, I warned him that I am NOT going to get it and he kept on nagging for 40 min for me to get some sort of maint or extended warranty. Let's say I told him in the end he wasted his own time and he got pissy with me.

Extended warranties are only good if your going to keep it longer then the warranty time, which is funny because the finance guy kept on saying computers go bad.. I then fired back at him asking if he is saying the car has a lot of electrical issues? haha
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
LOL my bro and his wife once turned the tables on the finance guy that way, sometimes they push a little too hard on the extended warranty and start talking about the reliability of cars in general. Dumb move imho but I suppose it works for a lot of buyers. My bro's wife started backpedaling on the purchase saying she wasn't comfortable spending all that money if the car was going to have so many problems, that they lost confidence in the car since he was pushing the extended warranty so hard. The deal started getting in so much jeopardy they called the salesman back and to smooth things over and complete the deal, they ended up getting the maintenance plan and extended warranty basically for free haha. Of course this was for a different car and my bro and his wife are very savvy buyers LOL.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
MObrz5

Thank you @finch1750 I ttried looking on google but I think I may have worded it wrong...but I found some with info! @HapaHaole I would have threatened to leave! Lol btw I like your username. What ethnicity are you mixed with? @PMok thats awesome! I wish I had the ability to haggle well but I'm easily persuaded and at times don't like to speak up for myself with things like this. Definitely not a good thing! Haha
Old 04-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
exE36M3

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
From what I understand you can have it prorated and it would be credited toward the remaining balance on the loan. there are plenty of threads on her regarding extended warranty cancellation if you do a site specific google search.
Correct. You can cancel any extended warranty. Just give a call or write the address on your contract. If you haven't used it, or it's been within 90 days, you will generally get a full refund.

One caveat though.
Think about your cost of ownership over time.

If you are a person who keeps cars for years or drives A LOT or both, the extended warranty isn't a bad idea. Although Subaru parts are relatively cheap, labor rates are what will kill you. In Norcal, the dealer rate is around $200+/hour. So any major work - like pulling a tranny, motor, electricals, etc. can easily hit in to the $1000's of dollars.

Given the factory warranty generally runs out in 3 years... if you financed for 5, imagine getting a blown diff or motor in your 4th year of ownership. That would suck.

We got GOLD level for $900 for 7 years/100k miles - this covers pretty much everything except tires, brakes, fluids, and oil changes.

I usually own my cars for around 7-8 years so this pretty much covers me forever. I got this price after refusing the $1890 they were trying to charge us on our Pre-owned 2013 BRZ. The finance manager eventually just shrugged and said OK, at cost... $900 work? Heck for $10/month... hard to turn that down.

My *personal* advice. Refuse the extended warranty on a new car. You've got 3 years/36000 miles bumper to bumper. At around 6 months to the end, the factory WILL send you an extended warranty offer. Buy it then. But caveat, it may not be as cheap as when you buy it.
exE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Our cars have 5 year power train IIRC, so it should cover your 5 year loan.
I have the extended warranty and am on the fence on getting rid of it. I think I only paid $1k for it so it would not be that much cash back in my pocket and it has been ~8 months since I bought the car. It should be useful if/when I sell the car.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
MObrz5

@cactus I thought it was a 3yr warranty? I paid $1600 for mine. It would be nice to get that back
Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
HapaHaole

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Our cars have 5 year power train IIRC, so it should cover your 5 year loan.
The 5 year is powertrain only, and that is just items to get the car moving , example the front wheel hub is NOT power train..

Some people buy it because they feel safe because they don't know how to fix their car and the rates of shops, in Nor cal its around $110 Per hour for subaru dealers. I know for me I opted out because There is a lot of support from forums like this that can help fix any issue. Plus where I work I get all the TSB's and repair manuals that will help me fix anything on it.
MObrz5 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
HapaHaole

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MObrz5 View Post
I would have threatened to leave! Lol btw I like your username. What ethnicity are you mixed with?

I am half Nihonjin and of course haole!