follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #85
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX Race Parts View Post
This topic comes up often, and that is because there is very little room to work with under the stock fenders with stock suspension in place (especially with the TRD/PP Sachs struts). 9" wide wheels are the maximum wheel width we can stuff under the car with the stock suspension in place, and we believe the sweet spot for offset is ET40-42. If you run a 9" wheel with a lower offset, let's say ET35, they will poke a touch without negative camber and could possibly rub the fender arches under suspension compression (of course this ultimately depends on tire size and brand as not all are created equal). If you run a 9" wheel with a higher offset, let's say ET45, the wheel is dangerously close to the front struts and in many cases, the tires will make contact.

For performance driving enthusiasts looking to increase handling performance while gaining more outer fender clearance (in order to stuff wider compounds onto the wheel), adjustable camber plates are the real solution. Camber/crash bolts are a band-aid fix and can only net you so much camber. More importantly, they sacrifice inner clearance between the tire and the suspension where space is already very limited.

Adjustable camber plates will give you a broader range of adjustment (better handling and more consistent tire wear on track) AND will not sacrifice inner clearance since everything moves in harmony. It is important to note that camber plates pay for themselves very quickly in the form of tire longevity. They are one of the better, relatively inexpensive modifications you can do to the car.

- Ryan
Very interested in your 17x9.5 offering! Currently im on stock suspension running 17x9 +35 rpf1s with 245 40 17 re71r/rs4.

-4.0 degrees of camber in the front with two camber bolts on each strut and a 15mm spacer to clear spring perch. Surprisingly the wheel/tire tucks inside the fender and does not rub
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icybrzzz For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (08-07-2019), Icecreamtruk (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #86
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Also interested in 17x9.5, but please, do not make a high offset. Those interested in a 17x9.5 will be track focused people, bling users will just get 18x9.5 which is widely available. Which means most of us are running at the bare minimum -3 degrees of camber, and past -4 you need both, plates and bolt so spring perch clearance could be an issue with anything +40 or higher probably.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #87
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Launch-Year Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Also interested in 17x9.5, but please, do not make a high offset. Those interested in a 17x9.5 will be track focused people, bling users will just get 18x9.5 which is widely available. Which means most of us are running at the bare minimum -3 degrees of camber, and past -4 you need both, plates and bolt so spring perch clearance could be an issue with anything +40 or higher probably.
Agreed, the 17x9.5" wheels are being designed with hardcore track enthusiasts and racers in mind. Brake clearance, as well as front strut clearance, will be paramount and the offset will likely be somewhere between ET38 & ET40. We test inner strut clearance with various race compounds, suspensions, and camber settings, as not all are created equal.

Customers purchasing the 17x9.5" wheel will be running 255/40-17's, or a 245/40-17 race compound that runs wide where they would benefit from the added sidewall support. Aftermarket suspension (slimmer in design) and negative camber is par for the course.

- Ryan

Phone: 925.245.0773 | experts@apexwheels.com | Website | Instagram | Facebook | Blog
APEX Race Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to APEX Race Parts For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #88
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Agreed, the 17x9.5" wheels are being designed with hardcore track enthusiasts and racers in mind. Brake clearance, as well as front strut clearance, will be paramount and the offset will likely be somewhere between ET38 & ET40. We test inner strut clearance with various race compounds, suspensions, and camber settings, as not all are created equal.

Customers purchasing the 17x9.5" wheel will be running 255/40-17's, or a 245/40-17 race compound that runs wide where they would benefit from the added sidewall support. Aftermarket suspension (slimmer in design) and negative camber is par for the course.

- Ryan
Awesome, seems like you know exactly what I want then Eager to see the end results then
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #89
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Agreed, the 17x9.5" wheels are being designed with hardcore track enthusiasts and racers in mind. ... We test inner strut clearance with various race compounds, suspensions, and camber settings, as not all are created equal.
Any ETA or teaser photos you can share?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 AM   #90
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Any ETA or teaser photos you can share?
Our forged wheel line is launching later this month, which is something we have been working hard on for quite some time now. Once the release goes live, we will have a lot more internal bandwidth and production resources to push forward projects like broadening the 86/BRZ line.

We will definitely re-engage with the community when we have more concrete dates and content to share.

- Ryan

Phone: 925.245.0773 | experts@apexwheels.com | Website | Instagram | Facebook | Blog
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to APEX Race Parts For This Useful Post:
DuMa (01-18-2020), Icecreamtruk (08-10-2019), tehShirt (08-10-2019), timurrrr (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #91
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Our forged wheel line is launching later this month, .... Once the release goes live, we will ... push forward projects like broadening the 86/BRZ line.
Thanks!
I guess you're implying that the forged wheels won't be available in the 86/BRZ sizes?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #92
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Thanks!
I guess you're implying that the forged wheels won't be available in the 86/BRZ sizes?
Great question. We are currently working on expanding our flow formed 86/BRZ wheel line.

The first phase of our forged release will encompass a wide variety of chassis specific BMW fitments, but like our flow formed line, we will swiftly move to support other makes and models.

86/BRZ enthusiasts will ultimately have both flow formed and forged wheel solutions from APEX. The bottom line is that car enthusiasts are diverse, and we want to be able to cater to everyone's performance and budgetary needs.

- Ryan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APEX Race Parts For This Useful Post:
tehShirt (08-13-2019), timurrrr (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #93
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
Just picked some up used and at -2 deg with camber bolts they won't even go on because they contact the spring perch. They came with 245/40 Forcuem Hena and my suspension is all stock BRZ Performance Package. The tires look like they're pretty wide on the wheel so maybe that's the issue. Previous owner said he had 3 mm of clearance with 0 camber: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135386

He got rid of them because he didn't want to run camber plates but wanted camber. I'm probably going to pull the bolts and go back to 0 camber until I get some coilovers, and get some use out of these all seasons in the meantime. I may try adding a spacer so that I can switch my stock wheels back on for track days and still have camber. I think that's just the price to pay for getting flush fitment with how wide these wheels are, and I'm fine with paying it as I'm eventually getting coilovers anyways.

Other than that though the wheels look great, I just wish I could get them on now!
Quick update: I tried putting 5mm spacers on. The driver side cleared fine, passenger side apparently had a bit more camber and just barely made contact when installed. I honestly didn't want to run spacers anyways, so I decided to pull my camber bolts out and put the wheels on, need to take it in for an alignment still. Just FYI, I have more room than the 3 mm the previous owner said he had at 0 camber. I didn't take an actual measurement but I could wiggle a 2 mm thick shim back and forth with a lot of movement. I could probably dial back in a bit of camber and still be okay. I may experiment and see how much I can get dialed in.
Attached Images

Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #94
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

- Ryan
Any word on new 17x9.5 development? Patiently waiting with money in-hand
APEX Race Parts (01-30-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:37 AM   #95
HachirocksU

Drives: Friggin Really Sweet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1. i wanna say Thank you and hearing out so much demands.

2. Will there be gold color in the future? Thank you.
HachirocksU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HachirocksU For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #96
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Any word on new 17x9.5 development? Patiently waiting with money in-hand
We've got a number of new 5x100 fitments in the works including the 17x9.5" wheels being discussed in this thread, and our engineers and production team are working hard behind the scenes to bring these to fruition. We know many have been patiently waiting for the release, and while I don't have a hard ETA at the moment, the idea is to get them into customers hands this season.

We'll update the community soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachirocksU View Post
1. i wanna say Thank you and hearing out so much demands.

2. Will there be gold color in the future? Thank you.
Absolutely! Providing quality and affordable wheel solutions for enthusiast communities has been a focal point for us for over 12 years now. Forums like this give us a unique ability to understand the needs of a diverse audience, and aside from chatting to fellow track junkies in the paddock at the race track, forums are still one of the best ways for us to stay in direct contact with our customers.

A gold finish will definitely be an option in the future. We've been reviewing samples/swatches internally to hone in on the right tone.

- Ryan

Old 01-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #97
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
We've got a number of new 5x100 fitments in the works including the 17x9.5" wheels being discussed in this thread, and our engineers and production team are working hard behind the scenes to bring these to fruition. We know many have been patiently waiting for the release, and while I don't have a hard ETA at the moment, the idea is to get them into customers hands this season.

We'll update the community soon

- Ryan
Alright I'm gonna go ahead and read between the lines here and hold out for a future set of 17x9.5 or 10's. Can't wait
APEX Race Parts (01-31-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 11:18 PM   #98
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to say I’m in on the group buy and looking forward to it. Anthracite (or my second choice of satin black) with some nice extended studs and open lugs should be a great look, and perform a lot better than my heavy rotiforms
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaverickMonk For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (01-31-2020)