follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
DennisTheMenace

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86 FBM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
built FBM GT86

Hi Guys,

Spent a long time reading on this board, think it's about time to being a little more active in posting as it's been a bumpy ride between the 86 and me

Bought it as one of the first here in Belgium, back in 2012:

After owning a few fast BMW's and working for 2 years at Toyota Motor Europe headquarters I really looked forward owning a RWD sportscar from them again. I fell in love with driving her from the first day. Enjoyed a few amateur rallies and a lot of trackdaytime in stock form, but quickly understood that the chassis and me could handle a bit more power.

After making a dedicated warplan on creating a fast track- and streetweapon, I unknowingly started diging my personal bottomless moneypit
Started with a Bilstein PSS12 coilover kit, polyurethane subframemounts, uniball endlinks, adjustable camberplates, 360 mm lightweight brakedisks, steel brakelines, brembo 4 pot calipers and OZ ultraleggera 18x8 rims. This resulted in drasticly improved brakeperformance and much sharper handling abilities, setting a base to go nuts on the powertrain.

Then, I decided to go turbocharged rather then supercharged. I had my mind set on a minimum 500hp on pump gas and good reaction considering she will be doing a fair bit of track time. After some research, i opted for the FBM premium kit with GTX30 upgrade.

I started out, driving the kit on stock block. After 2 months a rod snapped and that ended the morally acceptable era of this project.

EMS tuning, a very respectable subaru and nissan GT-R tuner, was contacted and in a few weeks time we outlined a reliable but still quite extreme setup for a new engine specific for the FBM GTX30 kit. We focussed on keeping the powerband lineair, but without compromising my premier goal of 500 hp.
The build took about 6 months, with a lot of custom work and headaches.

Making sure we had enough fuel to play with, we opted for 3 fuel pumps. 2 of em pump direcly into an external swirl pot to make sure there's enough available at all times and every condition.

And finally, there was a 3" custom made exhaust system fitted. Without losing the OEM look though...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3-5iUI1J9U"]Toyota GTT86 coldstart - YouTube[/ame]

To make a long story short, the results are very satisfying. We had to limit the power to 525hp and 565nm on 1,4 bar at the wheels because the FX400 wouldn't take any more. The plan was to fit an exedy twin plate, but as expected the gearbox blew out a few weeks ago. At this moment I'am working on a straight cut solution from PAR so I expect the car will be running again in a few months. With the original gearbox i vboxed a 100-200 kph time of 6,7 sec with a granny shift so she's properly fast. After the gearbox and clutch is replaced, we're planning to crank the boost up to 1,8 bar... really curious on the result!

kept the exterior as stock as possible. Apart from one foglight missing and a totally f*cked up fitting of the hood (trying to battle the E/G compartment heat as good as we can) there's absolutely no clue given away about her specs. looking forward on hearing your thoughts

Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 01-24-2016 at 09:45 AM.
DennisTheMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DennisTheMenace For This Useful Post:
Iceman (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Iceman

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Impressive. What brembos are those? They look very similar to the Megane 265's calipers.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
DennisTheMenace

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86 FBM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They are used on numerous cars like the EVO X, wrx sti, TT-RS, etc...
I chose them for their extreme lightness and reliability. If they go wrong they are cheap and easy to repair. I'am no fan of extreme BBK on a sub 1200 kg car
DennisTheMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DennisTheMenace For This Useful Post:
Iceman (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
ST-A
Master Tuner

Drives: GT86 + Celica ST205 GT-4 WRC + MR2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
nice build.
ST-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Iceman

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
They are used on numerous cars like the EVO X, wrx sti, TT-RS, etc...
I chose them for their extreme lightness and reliability. If they go wrong they are cheap and easy to repair. I'am no fan of extreme BBK on a sub 1200 kg car
Do you know the part #? Is it plug&play or do you need any modification? Costs?

Sorry to ask so much but lightweight, reliable and "affordable" is exactly what i'm after. And i agree this car doesn't need a huge BBK to make it stop well.