follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
PurpleSpaceShip

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission is making noises, any1 can help identify the problem?

Ok so my gearbox is making this weird noise. See the vid.

Car is in N and noise comes on after i realease the clutch pedal. If the Clutch pedal is in there is no noise.

Also if i tap the gas pedal it kinda rises even before the rpm does. if i rev it up lil bit noise stays after the rpm drops.
All of this when car is in N and sitting still.

Any ideas? thoughts?
PurpleSpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sounds to me like it's the throw out bearing. But that's my first guess.
Let see, let's start out with the common questions.
Have you don't anything to your car before the noise started?
Did you hit any thing? Pot holes, curbs, etc?
How many miles on the car?
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Sounds to me like it's the throw out bearing. But that's my first guess.
x2. Especially since it appears to be directly correlated with when you disengage the clutch (push the pedal down).

Only good thing about an issue like this is that almost every scenario ends in the exact same step: drop the transmission and investigate/replace the clutch components.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #4
jfarkas

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Garage
Mine's currently doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they claimed they couldn't hear anything other than the fuel pump crickets, as the tranny noise tends to quiet down quite a bit after warmup, and I had driven it there.
They told me when the fuel pump come in for warranty, bring it in the day before to leave overnight to cool off completely, they'll give me a loaner, and come back the next morning to start it with them so they can hear it whine like yours does.

Talked to the tech on my first visit and we seem to think its the input shaft bearing, not the throwout since input shaft noise goes away when you push the clutch in, as it decouples from the tranny. Throwout would make noise when you clutch in since its actively being used clutch in.
jfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarkas View Post
Mine's currently doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they claimed they couldn't hear anything other than the fuel pump crickets, as the tranny noise tends to quiet down quite a bit after warmup, and I had driven it there.
They told me when the fuel pump come in for warranty, bring it in the day before to leave overnight to cool off completely, they'll give me a loaner, and come back the next morning to start it with them so they can hear it whine like yours does.

Talked to the tech on my first visit and we seem to think its the input shaft bearing, not the throwout since input shaft noise goes away when you push the clutch in, as it decouples from the tranny. Throwout would make noise when you clutch in since its actively being used clutch in.

If the TOB is warped, it could make noise when the clutch is not engaged. The inner ring is in already in close contact with the input shaft. If it's warped, it could rub the pressure plate as well.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, like said ……. I reckon the noise has something to do with the TOB.

Time for a new TOB (and maybe some clutch parts).

The sound you recorded sounds like a bad TOB back in the day, when the clutch was pushed in (making it work) and TOB only rotated when working (loaded).

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 AM   #7
jfarkas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, like said ……. I reckon the noise has something to do with the TOB.

Time for a new TOB (and maybe some clutch parts).

The sound you recorded sounds like a bad TOB back in the day, when the clutch was pushed in (making it work) and TOB only rotated when working (loaded).

humfrz
So when asking about the issue at the dealership, they told me the fuel pump was covered under warranty no problem but when I asked how to get the transmission noise properly diagnosed since they apparently couldn't hear it, despite the tech telling me he heard it, they said it would cost $1200+, which was 12 hours labor to drop the transmission just inspect it with no guarantee they'd find anything actually wrong, which I expressed was ridiculous.
Considering I'm a year outside the 3/36k warranty period, am I borked trying to get the TOB covered if that's what it actually is? And since input shaft would be powertrain which I'm still covered for, is it really right for them to charge a 1200 diagnostic fee for dropping the tranny and inspecting it if it turns out to be that instead? Just feels like dealership is trying its hardest to be unhelpful/greedy.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:04 AM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
So when asking about the issue at the dealership, they told me the fuel pump was covered under warranty no problem but when I asked how to get the transmission noise properly diagnosed since they apparently couldn't hear it, despite the tech telling me he heard it, they said it would cost $1200+, which was 12 hours labor to drop the transmission just inspect it with no guarantee they'd find anything actually wrong, which I expressed was ridiculous.
Considering I'm a year outside the 3/36k warranty period, am I borked trying to get the TOB covered if that's what it actually is? And since input shaft would be powertrain which I'm still covered for, is it really right for them to charge a 1200 diagnostic fee for dropping the tranny and inspecting it if it turns out to be that instead? Just feels like dealership is trying its hardest to be unhelpful/greedy.
Welp, like they say in the old country ….. life ain't fair …..

OK, questions for you:

* any power mods?

* how many miles on your car?

* do you track your car?

* usually, when a TOB is going bad, one can hear it. The sound a bad one makes can vary, whether it's working (clutch in) or clutch out (it's actually still running - just not under load).

* can you post a video of your car making it's sound ..??

Come back.

humfrz
Old 06-03-2018, 04:25 AM   #9
jfarkas

Garage
Quote:
Welp, like they say in the old country ….. life ain't fair …..

OK, questions for you:

* any power mods?

* do you track your car?

* usually, when a TOB is going bad, one can hear it. The sound a bad one makes can vary, whether it's working (clutch in) or clutch out (it's actually still running - just not under load).

Come back.

humfrz
Oh i'm certainly finding that out haha, I have no problem paying to get it fixed if warranty won't cover it but it seems they're intentionally trying to find reasons not to warranty which is kinda silly since they would be reimbursed by Toyota. Anyways,

* any power mods?

None as of yet, waiting on any until after I get this sorted out so I don't risk voiding the warranty.

Just passed 37k this month, do about 50 or so a day for work, sometimes more on weekend club cruises and meets.

* do you track your car?

No track time yet, primarily my dd car, 95% highway miles.

So my noise is almost exactly the same as OP's in his video, possibly a tiny bit more faint in warm weather. Was much louder over the winter. I can try and get my own later today but I have a Greddy catback which kinda muddles the audio in any videos i've tried to capture before. Can definitely hear the noise while sitting in the cabin though. I hear it primarily on cold starts, in neutral, foot off the cluch. When I clutch-in, it goes away and has no grinding typically associated with TOB; just the whirring/whining. It will go away in neutral once warmed up, but continues to whine while in gear and driving, loudest through 4th gear but present in all, reminiscent of supercharger whine.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
humfrz

Quote:
………………………. Can definitely hear the noise while sitting in the cabin though. I hear it primarily on cold starts, in neutral, foot off the cluch.

When I clutch-in, it goes away and has no grinding typically associated with TOB; just the whirring/whining. It will go away in neutral once warmed up, but continues to whine while in gear and driving, loudest through 4th gear but present in all, reminiscent of supercharger whine.

Well, the first sentence above might lead me to suspect "gear rollover", which would be normal.

The second sentence leads me to suspect the TOB is going bad.

What to do ……??

I'm not sayen what to do or when to do it ……. but, I would suggest you budget for a clutch, pressure plate and TOB replacement on down the road.

humfrz
Old 06-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
no no no! Not TOB.

I bet you hoon. I hoon. These transmissions are truly fragile. Wheel hop kills them. Wheel hop just kills. Period.

If your transmission whine follows engine rpm in each gear, it's an input or mid-shaft bearing. I did a tiny little number on my original and shelved it for future repair because original matchy-matchy VIN. PO beat the piss out of the used replacement I installed.

If it doesn't whine in first gear, meh.

If it whines a little in all gears, meh. Be nicer to the transmission from now on.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My tob made noise for awhile then quieted down. Doesn't make sense but it happened.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #13
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
My tob made noise for awhile then quieted down. Doesn't make sense but it happened.
Mine did the same exact thing. It started at 60k then by 80k it came back louder then 2 hours later it was just metal on metal grinding.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
jfarkas

Garage
Quote:
Well, the first sentence above might lead me to suspect "gear rollover", which would be normal.

The second sentence leads me to suspect the TOB is going bad.

What to do ……??

I'm not sayen what to do or when to do it ……. but, I would suggest you budget for a clutch, pressure plate and TOB replacement on down the road.

humfrz
Definitely fair to say I hoon it on the weekends, rarely on launches that would get all wheel-hoppy but rowing between 3, 4 and 5 on backroads for sure. And yeah it definitely follows RPM. Tech I talked to agreed probably input shaft, but service advisor wasn't buying it for whatever reason that day.
How much did you end up paying for another transmission vs how much should I expect to pay for input or mid-shaft bearing replacement? I know the part is only about 100 dollars.