follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #57
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thill... There will always be some kind of car deal out there.. Some may seem to good to pass up.. But in reality.. There is always another good deal around the corner. You might not get to enjoy this one if you get it.. As your conscience will always get the best of you..
I waited till I was an empty nester before I got my Z06.. This way I didn't feel guilty about spending money on such a frivolous purchase..
Seems like your a descent kind of guy who's guilt might get the best of you and keep you from enjoying your purchase.. Might want to wait a few years so you can enjoy all aspects of the experience...
Make that 30K work for you and make some money from it.. Then your exotic car buying experience will be even sweeter...
Just my .02 cents worth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Ironically enough a low mileage used Cayman S may have fallen into my lap

2008 Cayman S, 33K miles, 6-speed, blue, 1 owner (older gentleman), never tracked, no accident, clean Car Fax. $29K

The story is rather sad. The owner and his wife are clients of my brother-in-law (financial advisor) and the owner passed away unexpectedly (in his late 60's). My brother-in-law has developed a relationship with them over the past 15 years and the passing was sudden. They often chatted cars and would have lunch together over the years. The widow has offered to sell the car to my brother-in-law below dealer trade-in value as she wants the car to go to someone who is an enthusiast and will take good care of it.

My brother-in-law just bought an expensive vehicle and told the widow about me and that I have been wanting a Cayman S and my love for cars. I spoke to her on the phone and she is such an amazing woman. She clearly loved her husband and wants the car to go to me so that I can send her pictures from time to time and keep her updated on the car.

Problem is the car is in Florida and I am in Minnesota My brother-in-law has offered to take the car to his previous Porsche mechanic to get it checked out thoroughly and then keep the car garaged for me until I can come to retrieve the car.

I don't like making impulse purchases, but this may be too good to pass up and I have already started lining up financing (plan on putting at least half down).

I am going to think about it this weekend and decide on Monday what to do. The money is not the issue, but too be honest, I have three young kids and I really don't know if this is the best way to spend $30K right now. My plan was to have my WRX paid off in two years and then buy something fun and my wife was onboard with the idea.

So I am going to take the weekend to think it through and decide Monday morning. I won't lie. I want the car. But the practical side of me doesn't want to be selfish with a young family and spending $30K on a car that I really will only drive occasionally and 6 months out of the year.

Decisions..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (11-30-2015)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #58
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Ironically enough a low mileage used Cayman S may have fallen into my lap

2008 Cayman S, 33K miles, 6-speed, blue, 1 owner (older gentleman), never tracked, no accident, clean Car Fax. $29K

The story is rather sad. The owner and his wife are clients of my brother-in-law (financial advisor) and the owner passed away unexpectedly (in his late 60's). My brother-in-law has developed a relationship with them over the past 15 years and the passing was sudden. They often chatted cars and would have lunch together over the years. The widow has offered to sell the car to my brother-in-law below dealer trade-in value as she wants the car to go to someone who is an enthusiast and will take good care of it.

My brother-in-law just bought an expensive vehicle and told the widow about me and that I have been wanting a Cayman S and my love for cars. I spoke to her on the phone and she is such an amazing woman. She clearly loved her husband and wants the car to go to me so that I can send her pictures from time to time and keep her updated on the car.

Problem is the car is in Florida and I am in Minnesota My brother-in-law has offered to take the car to his previous Porsche mechanic to get it checked out thoroughly and then keep the car garaged for me until I can come to retrieve the car.

I don't like making impulse purchases, but this may be too good to pass up and I have already started lining up financing (plan on putting at least half down).

I am going to think about it this weekend and decide on Monday what to do. The money is not the issue, but too be honest, I have three young kids and I really don't know if this is the best way to spend $30K right now. My plan was to have my WRX paid off in two years and then buy something fun and my wife was onboard with the idea.

So I am going to take the weekend to think it through and decide Monday morning. I won't lie. I want the car. But the practical side of me doesn't want to be selfish with a young family and spending $30K on a car that I really will only drive occasionally and 6 months out of the year.

Decisions..
Feels like summers in MN are only 4 months long lol. Your WRX seems to be the most practical summer/winter car. I don't like storing cars for half a year anymore. Been down that route. Complete waste of money IMO unless it's some limited production car.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #59
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Great review @WolfpackS2k

Another comparison here...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17rRm4L0dtw"]BRZ Review: After BMW M3 and Porsche Cayman S... is the Subaru BRZ still any good? - YouTube[/ame]
WolfpackS2k (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #60
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Thanks guys. Well the fates have intervened... Apparently there is a big family fight over the car now as the owner had a son from a previous marriage and he wants the car even though it sounds like he has had DUI's and been to rehab for drug/alcohol abuse.. Jeesh..

I don't need the drama and don't want to be involved in a legal dispute and the widow just wants this to be over with so she is going to give the car to the son.

I think it was just not meant to be for me this time Mikem53, I think you make a lot of sense. I am going to keep the money invested and will go from there. I am an old dad with young kids

Ayau, believe me I agonized over whether or not it is worth owning a garage queen in Minnesota. I have a three car garage and the Porsche would be three, with not much room left for bikes, riding toys, snow blower, etc... Having a third car with kids is not very practical right now in my life.

As a consolation I am going to spend some money on upgrading the suspension/handling of the WRX but I wold be lying if I said I was not disappointed. The WRX will be paid off in 24 months or less.. Maybe I will buy a new STI and have the best of both worlds once they put a more modern engine in it....
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #61
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like the best possible outcome. It wasn't up to you so there shouldn't be any regrets!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #62
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@thill Sometimes its nice to have the decision taken out of your hands - less to worry about and no potential for regrets down the road. Hopefully that car gets the respect it deserves but in the mean time, it sounds like you've got plenty of fun for yourself lined up. :p
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #63
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Just fi and your first post will change
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #64
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
Just fi and your first post will change
He was FI on the BRZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
kiichiro (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #65
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
No shit huh
My bad
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #66
thill

Quote:
No shit huh
My bad
No worries. I can tell you the WRX advertised HP and torque numbers are underrated by Subaru. There is little difference at the dyno between a stock STI and stock WRX.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #67
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
No shit huh
My bad

Sort of, a belt driven turbo is different than a real turbo. I can't help but think a turbo BRZ would have it ranking closer to the Porsche and I am sure he wouldn't have lost the mpg. Turbo + DI is a bit magical, its the future. Recent article is that Porsche has plans for a DIT 4 cylinder boxer.

If the OP had owned a Lotus Elise he would have covered all the bases. We need to get him behind the wheel of one.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #68
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Haha well I don't have any plans to buy one and I don't know anyone in the area that has one.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #69
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Haha well I don't have any plans to buy one and I don't know anyone in the area that has one.

The have become rare birds. Another missed investment opportunity, I think they will be the collectors car of the 2000's in a couple decades. Last pure raw sports car. A BRZ is a Cadillac compared to an Elise.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #70
phenoyz

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
WolfpackS2k -- off topic sorry, but besides the hp is there a big difference between a regular cayman vs. cayman S , coz i am looking at a regular cayman
phenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, cayman, s2000