follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DRL?

How hard is it to disable DRL and not have a warning light in the dash?

Is it legal on new cars that have standard DRL?

In USA
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
DommerEOD
I'm a Carcissist

Drives: JERRV , 11 STI, 07 FJ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well.. if the DRL plug in the back of the lights is what Toyota puts on their cars, then it will be extremely easy to unplug. You shouldn't get a warning light from the DRLs.

But, at least put your DRL's on a switch for the sake of safety.. That's what i did on on my Toyota and I usually turn them on in traffic and highway use.

Legality... No idea.
DommerEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Technically, since DRLs are a safety feature, it is illegal to remove them from a vehicle in the United States. With that disclaimer, you should just be able to unplug them or pull a fuse.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Why would you want to disable them? Seriously. I don't understand the point.

<--has headlights on _all_the_time_.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Safty feature but not a required safety feature like air bags. I dont see any legal backhands from shutting them off.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
I usually post drunk

I dunno, I think they are ugly

Why do people put HIDs in halogen housings
Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Technically, since DRLs are a safety feature, it is illegal to remove them from a vehicle in the United States. With that disclaimer, you should just be able to unplug them or pull a fuse.
Ahh, they CYA disclaimer. Nevermind what I said before.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
Why do people put HIDs in halogen housings
Another terrible case of form over function.

Because they're idiots and think they look "cool," or maybe because they think their OEM lights are "ugly."

I feel the same way about people that don't wear seat belts, disable their air bags or deactivate any other feature that is designed to improve the safety of the car's occupants. DRLs improve your visibility, which helps less observant idiots from pulling out in front of you. Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather have unobtrusive, "ugly" lights on than get hit by someone who didn't see me.

Plus, it's not a big leap to imagine that a claimant could win a settlement in court if they pull out in front of you on a day with reduced visibility and the two vehicles collide (even if it is the claimant's fault for pulling out in front of you) because you disabled your DRLs (which the other person would have seen if you had them on).
Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
I usually post drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post

Because they're idiots and think they look "cool," or maybe because they think their OEM lights are "ugly."

I feel the same way about people that don't wear seat belts, disable their air bags or deactivate any other feature that is designed to improve the safety of the car's occupants. DRLs improve your visibility, which helps less observant idiots from pulling out in front of you. Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather have unobtrusive, "ugly" lights on than get hit by someone who didn't see me.

Plus, it's not a big leap to imagine that a claimant could win a settlement in court if they pull out in front of you on a day with reduced visibility and the two vehicles collide (even if it is the claimant's fault for pulling out in front of you) because you disabled your DRLs (which the other person would have seen if you had them on).
I think we should have speed limiters that change to the speed limit of the road we are on. We should have g meters installed to make sure we accelerate and brake in a proper manner. Every car owner should own and change tires depending on the current temperature and precipitating conditions. I hope you agree.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Be real, if the ambient light in a cars DRLs(a relatively new feature) is a factor in a crash there are much more serious issues. In theory it MAY help but realistically people see or hear the car itself rather than the weird lights that stay on up front.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Kunzite

Drives: Toyota Auris
Sorry, but it doesn't make much sense.
DRLs are used to help people see you better (think long distance vision); and they works. But hearing you? From a distance long enough so they won't be able to see you, over their own engine's noise, maybe some music, and detecting your location/direction? It won't happen. Maybe you're thinking only about driving in towns.
Disabling a safety feature, any safety feature is a big no-no. Doing it because it makes your car look "cooler"...

And of course, this doesn't mean I want an automatic speed limiter in my car.
Kunzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Quote:
I disagree. An example - the Supra headlights weren't designed for HID's, but they are a projector type lens and work very well with HID's (I have them installed on mine). They improve light output considerably and really make it a lot more safe to drive at night, they aren't blinding to other drivers because they are a projector style light. However, I entirely agree with you when HID's are put into reflector style light housings!

To the OP - disabling DRL's is a stupid idea, end of discussion... they have been PROVEN to reduce vehicle crashes due to other people being able to see your car more easily. They aren't designed to add more light to the road, they're just designed to make your car easier to see - the same reason your lights should be turned on well before dusk, even if you can still see perfectly.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why would you want to disable them? Seriously. I don't understand the point.

<--has headlights on _all_the_time_.
I think the DRLs in my headlights look dumb. Disabled them and wired my fogs to run independently of my low-beams. I still have DRLs in a sense, except not the ones intended by the manufacturer.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote