follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #281
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Well, thanks for the trust.

We have had two professionals, that sound just like you, look at it and bail.

Now I'm doing the programming myself. And it's not rocket science (which was my previous job).

On edit: I still think it's pretty pompous of you to pronounce this is something that nobody but you can do when you don't even know the real issues we face, but if you have a solution I'm sure Terry would be interested in hearing about it and weighing it against our own. He's willing to pay the right person if they have a more elegant solution. But be warned, we've already had two cocksure programmers start into the problems and then admit it was beyond them.

Again, call Terry if you think you have a good solution. And know what you want to be paid.
Time to put some money where the mouth is
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Vroomin86 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #282
AZFA20
Automotive Connoisseur

Drives: too many cars
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Garage
(Slowly pokes head around the corner) Got mine to all work and I am a nobody (slowly retracts head from corner)
Andrew025 (07-02-2015), Calum (07-03-2015), Lonewolf (07-03-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #283
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 07-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #284
EFIxAndy

Drives: slow poke
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about doing a 2JZ or V8 swap in my car, and I've been thinking hard on how to solve this problem. Since, I'm far away from ready, I'd like to share a device I found that could potentially be the silver bullet.

An industrial controls company named Axiomatic makes a J1939 protocol simulator, that can convert a digital signal (like RPM) into CAN. The device has user programmable software to custom configure the CAN message, so it might potentially be compatible with the toyota / subaru protocol.

http://www.axiomatic.com/TDAX030530.pdf

Can't guarantee that this will work, but it seems like there's devices already made to solve these types of problems.

When I contacted the company they seemed to confirm my thoughts, but when I told them I only wanted to buy 1 unit as a test, they didn't seem too thrilled. They're probably an OEM supplier with expectations of selling 1000's.

Hope this helps someone, or points them in the right direction.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #285
Donroy

Drives: Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I can't wait for pricing to be released. Trying to hold back on boosting our second 86
Old 07-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #286
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFA20 View Post
(Slowly pokes head around the corner) Got mine to all work and I am a nobody (slowly retracts head from corner)

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?!

Seriously though, I'd like to add yours in the list of solutions / completed swaps in the CAN BUS thread. Maybe you'd like to share what you did? You can be vague; I'm not asking you to give away trade secrets... If you have those. If you're the information sharing type though, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it... This community needs WAY more of that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-03-2015), cf6mech (07-04-2015), civicdrivr (07-03-2015), drm (07-03-2015), Lonewolf (07-03-2015), strmshadow84 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #287
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
The seatbelt light and seatbelt chime is an easy fix... just leave the connector unplugged. Just ran into this with my new passenger seat that I had logically put a jumper in after looking at the seatbelt mechanism. Nope... something more going on, but after researching threads on here leaving the connector unplugged works fine.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #288
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Well, thanks for the trust.

We have had two professionals, that sound just like you, look at it and bail.

Now I'm doing the programming myself. And it's not rocket science (which was my previous job).

On edit: I still think it's pretty pompous of you to pronounce this is something that nobody but you can do when you don't even know the real issues we face, but if you have a solution I'm sure Terry would be interested in hearing about it and weighing it against our own. He's willing to pay the right person if they have a more elegant solution. But be warned, we've already had two cocksure programmers start into the problems and then admit it was beyond them.

Again, call Terry if you think you have a good solution. And know what you want to be paid.
I'm glad you have your information in your signature.

The reason I bailed on the project is because I wanted an LS7 in the car and you guys talked me out of it. Everyone at the shop said there was too much work required and I needed a better starting platform. I was originally going to be compensated for my work with a swap kit.

When I visited you guys the very last time and mentioned I was going to move on to an M3, I talked to Terry about finishing the project. I told him it was just going to take some time and I'd have to either, make a deal with him for a development fee, or agree on an elevated unit cost for the first few. He was very hopeful and upbeat, and then I never heard from anyone again. I never got a single call from Terry or anyone at the shop.

The funny thing is Jason, I do know the problems you guys have faced. I've been involved with Brady at Pure Automotive since the beginning of their LS swap and Doug at Weapons Grade when they made their first kit. I've built CANBUS translators before for personal and professional applications. The previous post I put in the CANBUS thread about changing the CAN lookup table in the stock GT86 ECU is actually the key to making the whole thing work. So consider it a freebie.

I also find it hilarious you're going to call people "cocksure" on public forums.

Last edited by Acree; 07-08-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #289
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
And the lesson to learn here, boys and girls; is that you never really know who you're talking to on a forum.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-06-2015), CxG (10-26-2015), DustinS (07-06-2015), Valentino (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #290
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I think a "Z" snap is in order.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #291
modernbeat
Vorshlag R&D

Drives: A new one every month
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
...When I visited you guys the very last time and mentioned I was going to move on to an M3, I talked to Terry about finishing the project. I told him it was just going to take some time and I'd have to either, make a deal with him for a development fee, or agree on an elevated unit cost for the first few. He was very hopeful and upbeat, and then I never heard from anyone again. I never got a single call from Terry or anyone at the shop.
You were called in multiple times. You lost interest and became a no-show. The last time you and I spoke you told me that since you wouldn't be doing a swap yourself, you saw no reason to go ahead with the project. Terry and I both told you to name your price either for your IP, or for a product you developed sold by you, or sold by us. But you waffled again and again, never naming a price and eventually not getting back to us after losing interest.

If you're still interested in doing the work, I'd imagine Terry would still work with you. All you have to do is say what you want to be paid, if you've figured that out yet.

Anyway. Since I've got the CNC systems up and running and it's no longer monopolizing my time, I can take a break from it to concentrate on the BRZ project.

On Edit: From my POV you never named a price because it felt like you weren't sure about the work needed, or your capabilities of getting it done. You were introduced to the project, took measurements, never named a price, and disappeared. You may be a genius at this. From what I witnessed, I couldn't say. Just that we gave you an opportunity and you left.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 AM   #292
modernbeat
Vorshlag R&D

Drives: A new one every month
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
And the lesson to learn here, boys and girls; is that you never really know who you're talking to on a forum.
I always put my real name, and usually my actual photo in forums just so people will know who they are talking to. No surprises. You can hold me accountable for good and bad.

FWIW I've been involved in a wide variety of motorsports for just over 30 years now. I've done everything from calculating aero drag on land speed racing car designs while evaluating potential body shapes, to welding up chassis. I started programming on cars in 1986 when I purchased a Sanyo laptop and a Haltech fuel injection kit for my 240Z to get rid of the Webers.
Acree (07-08-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 04:17 AM   #293
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
A lot of banter and not a lot of programming going on here. (Says the IT director)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #294
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would this swap kit work with a ls7 427 based crate engine.
Something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ml...et?prefilter=1

Closed Thread