follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #799
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy0998 View Post
The FR-S weights much less, yes. The GC weighs much more, yes.

I'm a power hungry fellow, and I don't want to have trouble keeping up with kids in their grandparent's Cadillac. Not implying that in an illegal street racing sense, it's just the concept of the thought itself. The FR-S will be considered weak and will struggle performance wise in the straights. BUT IT WILL BE LIGHT AND NIMBLE... yes... yes we get it.

I like the FR-S, and I might get one. But my point is that we have no idea how much it's going to cost. I've heard a few people suggesting $28,000 over the past few days. That sucks! And it would not be worth paying that when you could get a 348hp car for $2k cheaper! (if going by current GC prices)

The FR-S will be great if the price is right.

I like power too. But I can add that readily and easier than it is for you to Cut weight in the GC without making it a track setup.

I add a turbo setup to the FR-S, everything else weight wise I wouldn't even have to touch. Can retain the stock interior, be comfortable and fast from the turbo addition.

Whereas the GC has the supposed power output you want, but not the weight I want. If I wanted the FR-S weight in the GC, you would have to strip the seats, carpet, sound dead, switch to race buckets, put every carbon fiber panel on the outside that was available and still probably still weigh more than a stock FR-S with a turbo setup on it.

But you just cannibalized the GC down to bare metal, while all I did was bolt-on a setup. I cannibalized my tC because I wanted a track car, decreasing the desire to DD it. Now the FR-S comes along, and weighs a little more than my cannibalized tC which excites me. Cause I have the means of adding power, but I don't have to destroy the interior to shed weight to go with that power. I can have a street car that's just as fast as my track car....(after I add boost to it).
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #800
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
I like sports coupes of all sizes too. But the GC doesn't fit in there anywhere for me.

Weight of a 350z but doesn't have the power of one.

Now that it would be getting a bump in power, they made it ugly in the process and also shared it's front end with the Veloster. Hate when manufactures use the same exact front end on another car in the line up. Takes away from the exclusiveness of THAT vehicle.
I disagree. I think it shows consistency and brand integrity. Personally I like the new front end... and I have heard it looks MUCH better in person.
Tbxgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #801
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by er1c View Post
yeah you keep saying it doesn't have power of a 350z, can you not read? 350z ~280HP, GC 274HP
That's the NEW GC. I was talking about the old. And as I have already stated, the new one is getting a bump in power, but they beat it with an Ugly stick turning me off from it...YET AGAIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbxgz View Post
I disagree. I think it shows consistency and brand integrity. Personally I like the new front end... and I have heard it looks MUCH better in person.

That's fine, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer to have a car that has it's own face and not shared or borrowed from another car. Accents from another one is fine, but not a direct face transplant. If the FR-S had a direct copy of the LFA though, I probably wouldn't complain to much...lol, but it just has accents from the LFA.

Last edited by Dragonitti; 01-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #802
miata

Drives: 2006 Miata 5 spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I like sports coupes of all sizes too. But the GC doesn't fit in there anywhere for me.

Weight of a 350z but doesn't have the power of one.

Now that it would be getting a bump in power, they made it ugly in the process and also shared it's front end with the Veloster. Hate when manufactures use the same exact front end on another car in the line up. Takes away from the exclusiveness of THAT vehicle.
I don't know if 911 GT2 owners complain because boxsters have the similar front end. They share similiarity.
You won't mistake an accent or veloster for a GC when you see one on the road.
miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #803
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
I don't know if 911 GT2 owners complain because boxsters have the similar front end. They share similiarity.
You won't mistake an accent or veloster for a GC when you see one on the road.
As mentioned....it's a matter of preference. I think all Porsches look the same as well. I can never really tell them apart. If I could afford one, I still wouldn't buy one.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #804
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Quote:
I like power too. But I can add that readily and easier than it is for you to Cut weight in the GC without making it a track setup.

I add a turbo setup to the FR-S, everything else weight wise I wouldn't even have to touch. Can retain the stock interior, be comfortable and fast from the turbo addition.

Whereas the GC has the supposed power output you want, but not the weight I want. If I wanted the FR-S weight in the GC, you would have to strip the seats, carpet, sound dead, switch to race buckets, put every carbon fiber panel on the outside that was available and still probably still weigh more than a stock FR-S with a turbo setup on it.

But you just cannibalized the GC down to bare metal, while all I did was bolt-on a setup. I cannibalized my tC because I wanted a track car, decreasing the desire to DD it. Now the FR-S comes along, and weighs a little more than my cannibalized tC which excites me. Cause I have the means of adding power, but I don't have to destroy the interior to shed weight to go with that power. I can have a street car that's just as fast as my track car....(after I add boost to it).
Adding a turbo setup to the FR-S is just as much of a cannibalization as gutting the GC is. I've gone both routes, both have their advantages and disadvantages - and BOTH take away from the daily drive-ability. The cool thing though is that the GC comes with the power out of the box, and will be faster in stock form. It will also keep me from voiding my warranty (even though I know that doesnt apply to you, but it is still a factor that 95% of us will consider) And the GC may very well be cheaper than the FR-S. In fact, the FR-S may even be MORE expensive than the base 348hp v6!

Which route would you guys go?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #805
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Adding a turbo setup to the FR-S is just as much of a cannibalization as gutting the GC is. I've gone both routes, both have their advantages and disadvantages - and BOTH take away from the daily drive-ability. The cool thing though is that the GC comes with the power out of the box, and will be faster in stock form. It will also keep me from voiding my warranty (even though I know that doesnt apply to you, but it is still a factor that 95% of us will consider) And the GC may very well be cheaper than the FR-S. In fact, the FR-S may even be MORE expensive than the base 348hp v6!

Which route would you guys go?

So adding a bolt-on turbo setup is the equivalent of stripping out the entire interior and leaving no carpets, nothing but bare metal and a dashboard (that's what it would take to shed that weight)? ok dude...whatever makes you feel better. You can daily drive a well engineered turbo setup just fine. I'm talking the $5k dollar setups, not some cheap Ebay crap. The turbo will not subtract your comfort unlike the stripping down to metal in the ****pit would.

The GC could cost $15k and I still would think it was ugly and overweight and not buy it.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #806
cassidy0998

Quote:
So adding a bolt-on turbo setup is the equivalent of stripping out the entire interior and leaving no carpets, nothing but bare metal and a dashboard (that's what it would take to shed that weight)? ok dude...whatever makes you feel better. You can daily drive a well engineered turbo setup just fine. I'm talking the $5k dollar setups, not some cheap Ebay crap. The turbo will not subtract your comfort unlike the stripping down to metal in the ****pit would.

The GC could cost $15k and I still would think it was ugly and overweight and not buy it.

lol so you're going to go buy a fancy $5,000 kit, daily drive it, lose your warranty and still probably only make around 240hp? On your brand new car? Wow.. smart move - have fun with that!
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #807
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
lol so you're going to go buy a fancy $5,000 kit, daily drive it, lose your warranty and still probably only make around 240hp? On your brand new car? Wow.. smart move - have fun with that!

LOL...why would you mention the word warranty to me, when just a second ago you said it didn't apply to me?

And yes I would drop $5k on a turbo setup. I did for my tC (without sponsorship pricing anyway), and I think it was worthy to have, then I wouldn't see a problem doing the same to the FR-S. And LOL if you think 240hp is all you would get out of it. I get 350whp (380-400hp) out of my stock tC motor that came with 160hp from the factory. If all the FR-S cranked out was 240hp (hp indicates crank) then I must be running the wrong setup. That or only like 2psi of boost. I have entertained the idea of a N/A built motor instead of F/I for the FR-S as well. Something like a Cosworth build or something...not sure yet. I have a long time to think about it...lol.

Would rather have fun with my vehicle while it's young, rather than when the motor is old, chassis is tired, and beat to hell (I.e....waiting till it passed 60-100k miles when the warranty expires).

You shouldn't think in terms of pricing either. Cause if people bought cars strictly on comparing pricing, why would you ever consider either of these cars when you can get a used 350z for $10k? If you were just looking for a DD that is. For a track car, then you can have the answer of the 350z eating oil or starving from oil. But just for a DD with style....then a 350z at $10k seems more logical than a brand new car that depreciates in value right off the lot.

Truth is....we by cars for MANY reasons, and one mans trash is another mans treasure.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #808
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
To kinda go along with yall's conversation, how much boost could you realistically get out of the stock FR-S if it indeed comes with 12.5:1 pistons? I wouldn't think too much, but am curious. I'm trying to decide between these 2 cars. I've owned turboed cars before and enjoy the boost, but I'm really to drive the FR-S to see how it is.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #809
cassidy0998

Quote:
LOL...why would you mention the word warranty to me, when just a second ago you said it didn't apply to me?

And yes I would drop $5k on a turbo setup. I did for my tC (without sponsorship pricing anyway), and I think it was worthy to have, then I wouldn't see a problem doing the same to the FR-S. And LOL if you think 240hp is all you would get out of it. I get 350whp (380-400hp) out of my stock tC motor that came with 160hp from the factory. If all the FR-S cranked out was 240hp (hp indicates crank) then I must be running the wrong setup. That or only like 2psi of boost. I have entertained the idea of a N/A built motor instead of F/I for the FR-S as well. Something like a Cosworth build or something...not sure yet. I have a long time to think about it...lol.

Would rather have fun with my vehicle while it's young, rather than when the motor is old, chassis is tired, and beat to hell (I.e....waiting till it passed 60-100k miles when the warranty expires).

You shouldn't think in terms of pricing either. Cause if people bought cars strictly on comparing pricing, why would you ever consider either of these cars when you can get a used 350z for $10k? If you were just looking for a DD that is. For a track car, then you can have the answer of the 350z eating oil or starving from oil. But just for a DD with style....then a 350z at $10k seems more logical than a brand new car that depreciates in value right off the lot.

Truth is....we by cars for MANY reasons, and one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I hate to break it to you but your tC obviously doesnt have the same engine as the FR-S. We don't know what to expect out of it and it will most likely take some time for some good kits to come out.

STOP BRINGING UP THE STUPID 350Z!

As we have said, this thread is the GC vs. FR-S. I've driven many 350Zs and I have no desire to ever own one. The 350Z is an old car that isn't in production anymore. Plus it only has two seats. I don't want a used car.

You can't say that you will get more than 240hp, you have no idea what to expect and there's no telling what the stock internals will really hold or how good this car will really be. It might end up being a nightmare to really get some power out of. The bottom line is that I don't have the answers, and neither do you.

I do think in terms of pricing. If you spend $5k on a turbo setup on your $26k car, given that you have the knowledge to install the kit and tune it yourself you'll save a few pennies for labor, but if you don't, good luck spending another couple of grand getting it installed.

So you're looking at $33kish for your sketchy (and possibly still very underpowered) FR-S.

The majority of us are looking for the best bang for the buck - the best deal. The best power, the best looks, the best mpg, the best warranty, etc. the best all around answer for our next car purchase to reliably get us from A to B while having a little fun here and there.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #810
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
To kinda go along with yall's conversation, how much boost could you realistically get out of the stock FR-S if it indeed comes with 12.5:1 pistons? I wouldn't think too much, but am curious. I'm trying to decide between these 2 cars. I've owned turboed cars before and enjoy the boost, but I'm really to drive the FR-S to see how it is.
Methanol or water injection? Or swap some fuel lines to run say, a mix of E85 and E10, to not overwhelm the direct injectors. From what I am reading, direct injection with alcohol is EXTREMELY effective.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #811
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry, I was talking about adding a turbo kit to the car. But now that you mention it, I would probably go with methanol injection.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #812
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
How in the hell can a base 22k RWD 2.0t sports coupe be luxury? Are you insane? The cheapest near luxury coupe on the market starts at 30k(128i) and the interior is still not that great. Anybody expecting luxury interior in a RWD 22k sports coupe is a retarded idiot and you know that. And even though Hyundai said they was aiming for the G37 they mostly meant dynamically. If they had meant for it to be a competitor the base price would've been much higher.

You obviously don't know what a snob is. How can someone defending a 22k car for not having a luxury interior be a snob? Think about it.
Did you even read my post I said kind of lux which is it. Even Hyundai thinks so with how they refer to it as a "Luxury Sports Car"

http://hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showr...FSEQNAodoE1J6A

I must be as insane as Hyundai is for calling it so as well.

I wasn't refering to your defense as snobby but by your putting peoples opinions down by you are a fanboi your opinion matter not attitube which even in your retort you bring up.

EDIT: I am being as fair as possible. I was gonig to buy a GC when they came out even with the size until I saw the specs. 210 at that weight doesn't appeal to me tho now its got enough power to have my attention but I can't look at it face to face lol.