follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
vgarcin
Swiss Alps Driver

Drives: Toyota gt86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota GT86 vs. Renault Megane RS

I do not think that I have seen this comparison yet, surprisingly. The Megane RS is not sold in the US; which is a shame considering how good this car is.

The megane RS is a very well known track tool in Europe. This is one of the very few affordable car that can go on a track straight out of the box.
This car has a 2.0L twin scroll turbo 4-cylinder engine rated at 265 bhp and 340 N.M (250 lb.ft) of torque, front wheel drive with limited slip differential, weighted at 1390kg (approx 3070 lbs). It includes brembo brakes and dedicated suspension and chassis, and is still livable on a daily basis (much better than the gt86). You can find a new one for 40'000 USD (consider that the GT86 in Europe is at approx. 35'000 USD).
Despite being front wheel drive, this car is extremelly capable on a track.

This car went around the Nurb in 8min 7 sec (nearly as fast as a M3 E92). An even more track focused variant (Megane RS 275 trophy) has done it in 7 min 54, which is the fastest lap time recorded by a FWD car in stock form; as fast as a 911 turbo (997).
link here

When I purchased my own Scion.... err... Toyota GT86, it has been a serious dilemma to choose one or the other. I took the GT 86 mostly because I wanted to learn how to drive a rear wheel drive and that it looked better.

I'm still wondering if I made the right decision, TBH.

Last edited by vgarcin; 07-23-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
vgarcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
My GF is from Lyon, France which I have visited as well as Paris and the French Alps, and Ive been to Geneva once. Europe is beautiful and I love the architecture and the old stone buildings and churches. The food is to die for and the wine, good god it makes californian wine taste like piss. But the best part about Europe ( in my mind anyways) is the awesome F*ckinnn cars.

I love all the hot hatches available there! Renaults, Peugeot, citroen, hell and even some Opels. You even get the Ford Sts! Jealous!

All the above cars are cool and fun, but I have to say you made the right choice. The GT 86 can look more mature (if you want) than a bright yellow hot hatch. It is RWD. And it is a great performing car, but its not a full blown track car like the above Megane.

The megane, like many cars, was probs developed on the Nurb for the Nurb. Take that onto real world streets for more than an hour or two at a time and as Clarkson would say "falling down a flight of stairs would be more comfortable."

I hope your prove to yourself that you made the right choice! Invest in a few power mods, take the traction control off, and go at it
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
My GF is from Lyon, France which I have visited as well as Paris and the French Alps, and Ive been to Geneva once. Europe is beautiful and I love the architecture and the old stone buildings and churches. The food is to die for and the wine, good god it makes californian wine taste like piss. But the best part about Europe ( in my mind anyways) is the awesome F*ckinnn cars.

I love all the hot hatches available there! Renaults, Peugeot, citroen, hell and even some Opels. You even get the Ford Sts! Jealous!

All the above cars are cool and fun, but I have to say you made the right choice. The GT 86 can look more mature (if you want) than a bright yellow hot hatch. It is RWD. And it is a great performing car, but its not a full blown track car like the above Megane.

The megane, like many cars, was probs developed on the Nurb for the Nurb. Take that onto real world streets for more than an hour or two at a time and as Clarkson would say "falling down a flight of stairs would be more comfortable."

I hope your prove to yourself that you made the right choice! Invest in a few power mods, take the traction control off, and go at it
Sadly looks like your ability select good wines from Napa is not a skill of yours, there are wines from Napa that have blown away the best the French have to offer. I'm personally not some ultra pro Californian wine person as I do like French wine but what you say only speaks to the fact you simply haven't had the good ones. The myth that only good wine came from France was busted nearly 40 years ago.

Its no different than you knew no better than to test drive only an Aveo to represent all American cars and then happened to drive a M3 and just assumed the Aveo was the best that you could get.

Megane ftw btw.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Martinius

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would sell my left nut for a Renault Megane RS, that's how much I love that car. Alas, it's not sold in Canada...
Martinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
Sadly looks like your ability select good wines from Napa is not a skill of yours, there are wines from Napa that have blown away the best the French have to offer. I'm personally not some ultra pro Californian wine person as I do like French wine but what you say only speaks to the fact you simply haven't had the good ones. The myth that only good wine came from France was busted nearly 40 years ago.

Its no different than you knew no better than to test drive only an Aveo to represent all American cars and then happened to drive a M3 and just assumed the Aveo was the best that you could get.

Megane ftw btw.
My GF father has a wine cellar in a small village between Lyon and Geneva. It is about 1,00 square with a 16 foot ceiling. Not really a cellar, but it is partially underground. He has been buying and investing in French wines for over 30 years. The net value of his collection is now worth over a million. Spend 3 weeks there having a bottle with lunch and a bottle with dinner, and sadly no other will satisfy you anymore.

There is a very distinct difference between French wines and Californian wines due to growing climate. I am not a wine taster or connoisseur but I can now taste the difference. Californian wines are bold and strong and most over power the taste of food, no matter what type it is, red or white.

Don't get me wrong I like Californian wines, but it does not compare

Sorrry OP

Back to cars, while in France I got to drive a peugeot 206 CC ANNDDD a Renault Megane II RS. Both really fun cars.
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgarcin View Post
When I purchased my own Scion.... err... Toyota GT86, it has been a serious dilemma to choose one or the other. I took the GT 86 mostly because I wanted to learn how to drive a rear wheel drive and that it looked better.

I'm still wondering if I made the right decision, TBH.
Would love to have the Megane here in the US, especially the RS 275 trophy.

That said, if the above part is true about you wanting to learn RWD, then you made the right choice. If you had bought the Megane, you'd have regretted it because it's obviously not a RWD car and that can't be changed.

Having owned a fast, but somewhat boring STI hatch, I knew that for my next car, I wanted a lightweight RWD car for the track. Even if the RS 275 trophy was offered here (and no matter how fast it was at the track), I'd still have picked the FR-S for that reason.

It just comes down to how much you wanted a RWD car to begin with.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote