follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
MasterAzir

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob question on exhaust

I dont know to much about cars but I have Non-resonated perrin 3 inch. I loved the deep tone but when i stumbled on this video, I wanted my car to sound like that.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1jtLyXwzng&t=1s&list=LLMw48S98Uwbltf5dvl9 TltQ&index=1"]Subaru BRZ with Borla UEL header warm (ish) start with revs - YouTube[/ame]

I was wondering how could I get to that tone? I was planning on buying HKS dual resonated front pipe. Then some headers with it but not sure which? I heard non resonated and uel headers or obnoxious?
MasterAzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Unless you love highway drone and not having conversations in your car, you should not get something which isn't resonated. This car sounds like any BRZ/FRS/86 with UEL's and a cat back. I would get Gruppe-S/Tomei UEL with overpipe and like you suggested a dual resonated front pipe, a large diameter cat back is where most of your noise will be made. Any exhaust with dual canister mufflers is going to be loud, also when I had my Prospeed catback installed I noticed that most of the exhaust only came out of one side.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you are looking for more "rumble", getting an Unequal Length Header would be my recommendation. As stated by @Trueweltall I agree that resonators should be considered if you go for long periods of driving and want to avoid any "drone".

I currently have:
Invidia N1
Invidia Catless FP (resonated)
Stock OP
FT86SpeedFactory Catted UEL

IMO, this is the perfect setup for me. I daily mine and it's not too loud yet still gives a good amount of sound that I want.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3i2ePuNx0U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3i2ePuNx0U[/ame]

Last edited by KMA KiCKz; 01-16-2018 at 06:57 PM.
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAzir View Post
I dont know to much about cars but I have Non-resonated perrin 3 inch. I loved the deep tone but when i stumbled on this video, I wanted my car to sound like that....................
I was wondering how could I get to that tone? I was planning on buying HKS dual resonated front pipe. Then some headers with it but not sure which? I heard non resonated and uel headers or obnoxious?
Well then, just leave it alone (see bolded part).

You can go crazy chasing exhaust sounds with this car.

See how easy that is ......and it doesn't cost you a thing .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well then, just leave it alone (see bolded part).

You can go crazy chasing exhaust sounds with this car.

See how easy that is ......and it doesn't cost you a thing .....

humfrz
But now he wants his car to sound different. Imo op should start with a UEL header and go from there. I think a UEL header will get him the noise he now wants
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
But now he wants his car to sound different. Imo op should start with a UEL header and go from there. I think a UEL header will get him the noise he now wants
Agreed. Start with the header selection. First decide whether you want UEL or EL, rumble or no rumble, then choose if you are going catted or catless. Most headers out there are catless and to get the full performance benefit, you need to get a tune (more decisions). If you do decide to go catless and a tune (which I recommend), the cat in the stock front pipe becomes a key element in the setup in managing volume, rasp, tone and smell. Leave the stock front pipe alone and move on to picking a catback.

Unfortunately, youtube vids don't give you a good handle on the volume or drone of a particular setup, they do give you a decent sense of the tone though.

Keep in mind that exhaust is like music, what sounds "good" to one person may sound like shit to another.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2018)