follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
Is there any room for the Max Performance level tires at the track as a step between the Prius tires and RS3/Starspec/RE11 level? Something like the ExtremeContact DW. Or do they overheat too easily at the track?

Nathan
I liked Nitto Invos with my 350z and really love the Sumitomo HRTIII's for price and reasonable grip level bang-for-the-buck. Michelin Pilot sports are wonderful if you have the coin.

Eric G
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
grodenglaive

Drives: asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
For an inbetween tire, @SubieNate , look at the Hankook V12. Fairly cheap and they work very well if you dont want to move to such an aggressive tire as the SS/RS3/RE11
+1 for the hankook v12. It's a nice street tire, inexpensive and works well for light track use too. They do chunk a bit when you run them hard though.
grodenglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do 1 more event. Attach GoPro cameras to each fender, behind each front wheel. Are you getting as close to the edges as you can during entry setup, apexing, and track out?
I have not tried the GoPro method, however on the first session of each event, I always tend to dial myself back a notch to get a feel of where and what my tires are touching on and how much of the track I can realistically / safely use. I may likely run two tires (or one tire) partially off the edge to get a better understanding of how much track I can use upon entry setup, apexing, and the track out... That refreshes my mind on every inch I can use of the track. I usually have an introduction to the tracks I run because they specifically are not new to me. It's always a challenge, though.

Quote:
A great benchmark is: Are you able to keep up with the faster Spec Miata drivers? The stock FR-S/BRZ is just a hair slower than a faster SM driver.
Well, that's a good question. In the run level which I was in this past weekned. There were 2 Spec Miatas which were at a high level of driving with the car and its driver. One of them I was managing to pass / keep pace with. The other one, I wasn't so successful. The other one probably had a better driver and / or a combination of a very well set-up car. I overheard later that that other driver which I couldn't manage to pass (or keep up with) was the very recent state champion for Spec Miatas. So, it may be safe to say that he was a more capable and experienced driver than me.

Quote:
While stickier tires will make you faster, it won't improve you as a driver; that is completely up to you.
I completely and absolutely agree with you... And if there were anyone who would defend this thought, I would be one of the very first in line. That is why I am not in a hurry... Although, as @Dave-ROR mentioned, the tires could be holding me back, possibly... And the learning and improvement will likely still continue to the next level, even with higher-performing tires, perhaps a different kind of learning, as Dave said it best.

This would only apply if I were to be honest with myself, and ask myself if I have taken the absolute most knowledge out of what the OEM tires have to offer.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
I'd get kicked out of a POC/PCA event so fast if I went to one here... they teach driving safe, but not fast.

Sounds like the tires are at the edge. My question is, is the car at the edge?

Do you have any datalogging that I can look at?
I feel the tires are at the edge, consistently. I don't have an Instructor with me for the time being, and have been Solo'd off... When I did have an instructor a few events ago (off / on), he was the first individual who pointed out that I was driving the tires complete limit... And also added that he'd love to see me and the car with R Compounds. I may not take him up on the R Compounds idea, but I will happily debate on acquiring tires a notch below that.

Regarding the car being at the very edge: With all do respect, I would be lost in understanding how I would be able to drive the car and its chassis at the limit if the original tires that I am on are possibly restricting me from finding out what this car's limit is at my level / stage of driving. In this case, I don't think I may be driving the actual car's limit... Although I suppose I could safely say that I am driving the car at the limit along with the given tires.

I haven't pushed myself to perform any datalogging... My apology.

Texas BRZ
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
How many events have you done? Overall and with the FRS.
I haven't been keeping track anymore, but I took a brief scan of my PayPal payment history... And it looks like very close to 28-30 two-day events (approximately 60 track days and four 25 minute sessions each day), plus an additional 5-6 one-day events (four-five 25 minute sessions each day). I have a minimum of an additional 14-15 two-day events scheduled for the upcoming 2013 year.

With the FR-S: I recently completed my 6th two-day event this past weekend.

Quote:
I'm a big proponent of not jumping into a sticky tire until you're ready, but it sounds like you might be there. A good extreme summer tire (star specs or etc) would be the next step. At that point though you'll start thinking about at least brake upgrades if you haven't already.

- Andrew
I'm all the way with you, Andrew. I have my eyes on the Star Specs for the time being...

I suppose it's worth giving a shot.

Texas BRZ
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
I haven't been keeping track anymore, but I took a brief scan of my PayPal payment history... And it looks like very close to 28-30 two-day events (approximately 60 track days and four 25 minute sessions each day), plus an additional 5-6 one-day events (four-five 25 minute sessions each day). I have a minimum of an additional 14-15 two-day events scheduled for the upcoming 2013 year.

With the FR-S: I recently completed my 6th two-day event this past weekend.

I'm all the way with you, Andrew. I have my eyes on the Star Specs for the time being...

I suppose it's worth giving a shot.
That's actually more seat time than me by a good amount

Give some Star Specs a try; they have good feedback, and transform the car. If you want to try driving "blind", try RS3; they're sticker, but take longer to get up to temp, and are effectively numb in the amount of feedback they give relative to other tires in the category.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I prefer PCA. Slower P-Car guys so I can pass people.
:happy0180:
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
That's actually more seat time than me by a good amount

Give some Star Specs a try; they have good feedback, and transform the car. If you want to try driving "blind", try RS3; they're sticker, but take longer to get up to temp, and are effectively numb in the amount of feedback they give relative to other tires in the category.
Well, I haven't mentioned the number of sessions I've taken ride alongs with the countless Instructors and Advanced level drivers... Probably just as much as my own seat time, if not a bit more.

Thanks for your input, Mike... I'm considering the Star Specs... Heard great things about them.

Texas BRZ
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yeah, that's a good amount of seat time.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, I haven't mentioned the number of sessions I've taken ride alongs with the countless Instructors and Advanced level drivers... Probably just as much as my own seat time, if not a bit more.

Thanks for your input, Mike... I'm considering the Star Specs... Heard great things about them.
Tirerack has the Z1SS on clearance right now. The Z2 is coming soon.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dare you to TRY THE STICKIER TIRES? If you're aiming for better times, better grip is your friend. Upgrade to anything from a Hoosier to Dunlop.

If you wanna drift keep it stock. Simple.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Tirerack has the Z1SS on clearance right now. The Z2 is coming soon.
Hmmm... Wonder why I did not get an email alert from them since I had subscribed to the Wish List for any specials that may pop up on those specific tires... Let me check it out, thanks for the heads-up.

*Edit*

Still the same close-out price since the last couple months or so... $152 per tire / OEM size.

Hmmm... Will sleep on it for now.

Texas BRZ
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow I give you credit for having that much experience and still wanting to use the OEM tires! I got bored with them quick, had to slow down too much
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-12-2012), gmookher (12-12-2012), Racecomp Engineering (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
ironchef

Drives: GLI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Any recommendations on DE groups that are good besides PCA? It seems folks dont have the highest opinions of NASA or Chin based on this forum and other forums I've read.
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote