follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #127
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Once again, kids - follow the rules of the road, and keep the speeding for the track. Yeah, I'm an old guy, and a professional driver. And I'll say this again - grow up.
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #128
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd like to witness these places where people don't speed. I mean I am only on the road for a couple hours each day but I'd say I see maybe a handful
of drivers each day that actually do stay under posted speed limits and they stick out like a sore thumb. And I live in Florida where everybody comes to retire so
it's not like there aren't a pile of elderly people here. Anybody claiming they don't go over the PSL is BSing so bad, it practically smells through the monitor.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (02-10-2019), Tcoat (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #129
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I'd like to witness these places where people don't speed. I mean I am only on the road for a couple hours each day but I'd say I see maybe a handful
of drivers each day that actually do stay under posted speed limits and they stick out like a sore thumb. And I live in Florida where everybody comes to retire so
it's not like there aren't a pile of elderly people here. Anybody claiming they don't go over the PSL is BSing so bad, it practically smells through the monitor.
You stay at the speed limit on most of the highways around here you will probably cause a crash!
I personally always speed and there are still people that pass me. Some of them are pretty old. There is a difference between exceeding the speed limit and driving like an asshat though.
gravitylover (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #130
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
Once again, kids - follow the rules of the road, and keep the speeding for the track. Yeah, I'm an old guy, and a professional driver. And I'll say this again - grow up.
There's a short piece (about 30 miles long) of 3 lane Interstate by me that used to run an average speed 15-20 over the limit so they raised the limit 10mph so that the difference between the slow and fast traffic would be tighter. You know what happened? The average speed traveled is still 20 over. So, while the difference in speed is still the same the consequences of a collision at 65<>85 is pretty severe so you have to roll at 75+ or risk getting plowed and having a really bad day.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #131
winstonscifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You stay at the speed limit on most of the highways around here you will probably cause a crash!
I personally always speed and there are still people that pass me. Some of them are pretty old. There is a difference between exceeding the speed limit and driving like an asshat though.
Sooooo, you're saying that driving the speed limit will probably cause a crash.....I've seen way too many "asshats" - your word, not mine - causing more crashes in my 30 plus years of professional driving. Sorry, I'll follow the rules of the road.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #132
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
I usually drive 5 to 7 mph over when I'm on the freeways here and people pass me like I'm standing still.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #133
Tcoat

Quote:
Sooooo, you're saying that driving the speed limit will probably cause a crash.....I've seen way too many "asshats" - your word, not mine - causing more crashes in my 30 plus years of professional driving. Sorry, I'll follow the rules of the road.
No I said driving at the speed limit on the highway here would. You would be way below the speed of traffic and that can cause accidents. I also differentiated between speeding and dangerous driving involving speed.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #134
winstonscifi

Quote:
No I said driving at the speed limit on the highway here would. You would be way below the speed of traffic and that can cause accidents. I also differentiated between speeding and dangerous driving involving speed.
Okay, I stand corrected. Driving at the speed limit in your area of the world will probably cause accidents. Since I don't know the roads in your area of the world, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let me ask you this - on the roads in your area of the world, are there pedestrians - potholes - loose animals - rain - sleet - snow - hail - inattentive drivers - drunk drivers - uneducated drivers - I could go on and on. In your area of the world, do the drivers pick and choose which rules of the road to obey? That is, in your area of the world, can you choose to park in a handicapped spot when you are not handicapped? Can you park in a no parking zone - or block a fire hydrant? In your area of the world can drivers choose to drive through stop signs? In your area of the world can you disregard school bus stop signs? In your area of the world can you go around railroad crossings? If that is the case, then my hat's off to you! The folks in your area of the world are probably the best drivers in the world! You have the option to thumb your noses at the people who have set up the rules to help keep everyone safe. Because the people who set up the rules have given you the option to decide for yourself which rules to obey. I wish the drivers that I've seen over the years were as good as the drivers in your area of the world!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #135
Tcoat

Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected. Driving at the speed limit in your area of the world will probably cause accidents. Since I don't know the roads in your area of the world, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let me ask you this - on the roads in your area of the world, are there pedestrians - potholes - loose animals - rain - sleet - snow - hail - inattentive drivers - drunk drivers - uneducated drivers - I could go on and on. In your area of the world, do the drivers pick and choose which rules of the road to obey? That is, in your area of the world, can you choose to park in a handicapped spot when you are not handicapped? Can you park in a no parking zone - or block a fire hydrant? In your area of the world can drivers choose to drive through stop signs? In your area of the world can you disregard school bus stop signs? In your area of the world can you go around railroad crossings? If that is the case, then my hat's off to you! The folks in your area of the world are probably the best drivers in the world! You have the option to thumb your noses at the people who have set up the rules to help keep everyone safe. Because the people who set up the rules have given you the option to decide for yourself which rules to obey. I wish the drivers that I've seen over the years were as good as the drivers in your area of the world!
Yes. "my part of the world" is the same as any other and the difference between driving 60 or 70 isn't going to change anything.
You have taken things well well beyond exceeding the posted limit in your example.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #136
winstonscifi

Quote:
Yes. "my part of the world" is the same as any other and the difference between driving 60 or 70 isn't going to change anything.
You have taken things well well beyond exceeding the posted limit in your example.
I said I will follow "the rules of the road". The speed limit is just one of the rules. I get a kick out of these folks thinking that the rules are arbitrary. Which ones do you follow, and which ones do you ignore? Over the years I have had the honor and privilege to teach people to drive - people at work and my two grand daughters, my son, my daughter, etc. Do you think I told those people that is was OK to pick and choose which rules of the road to obey, and which ones to ignore? Do you think I told those people that law enforcement officials are not to be taken seriously - that if they pull you over, they're just trying to make their quota, and that they know the rules are just a bunch of words that are not to be taken seriously? If I have taken this discussion in an area that you are not comfortable with, I apologize. You obviously have a deeper understanding of the rules than I do.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #137
Impureclient
Banned

Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected. ...I wish the drivers that I've seen over the years were as good as the drivers in your area of the world!
Is a professional driver like a race car driver, cab driver, semi-truck driver, moving van driver, piazza delivery driver? I drive to work as a professional in my field of work to my customers houses so I guess I can claim that title too? Is there a license to be considered a "professional"? Since we have people doing Lyft and Uber now I guess they can claim to be a professional driver now too?
The point here I think were driving at was that driving PSL is usually inappropriate to the majority of daily driving since MOSTLY EVERYBODY usually does not follow it including police that are paid to enforce it. If your job of a professional driver includes carrying human cargo then it stands to reason that you must keep under PSL since your job requires it(even if it usually isn't safer) and in some cases your speeds are monitored to make sure you do so.

Running stop signs, parking in disabled spots, or what you are describing as pretty much "doing whatever you want on the road" is not what is being defended here. I'll take driving in a pack of aware/safe drivers going 10-15 the PSL over overcautious/erratic/nervous drivers around me doing under PSL any time.

Speeding doesn't cause more accidents but does cause more sever ones: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...accidents.html

This can be argued all day long but it's pretty clear by now that PSL are generally too low: https://blog.esurance.com/are-our-speed-limits-too-low/
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #138
winstonscifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Is a professional driver like a race car driver, cab driver, semi-truck driver, moving van driver, piazza delivery driver? I drive to work as a professional in my field of work to my customers houses so I guess I can claim that title too? Is there a license to be considered a "professional"? Since we have people doing Lyft and Uber now I guess they can claim to be a professional driver now too?
The point here I think were driving at was that driving PSL is usually inappropriate to the majority of daily driving since MOSTLY EVERYBODY usually does not follow it including police that are paid to enforce it. If your job of a professional driver includes carrying human cargo then it stands to reason that you must keep under PSL since your job requires it(even if it usually isn't safer) and in some cases your speeds are monitored to make sure you do so.

Running stop signs, parking in disabled spots, or what you are describing as pretty much "doing whatever you want on the road" is not what is being defended here. I'll take driving in a pack of aware/safe drivers going 10-15 the PSL over overcautious/erratic/nervous drivers around me doing under PSL any time.

Speeding doesn't cause more accidents but does cause more sever ones: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...accidents.html

This can be argued all day long but it's pretty clear by now that PSL are generally too low: https://blog.esurance.com/are-our-speed-limits-too-low/
When I say I'm a professional driver, I mean I have a commercial license and have taken extensive training for that license. I pay more for the license too. Every two years I have to have a physical exam and drug test. I am licensed for the seniors that I drive in a 21 passenger van. So yes, I am a professional driver. I can PM you a scan of my commercial drivers license, my Medical Examiners Certificate, and a very nice picture of the Ford F-350 21 passenger van that I drive two days a week for senior housing. I take the job very seriously - and I really like the seniors that entrust their safety to me. By the way, that Ford F-350 has the V-10 engine in it - It's a piece of crap that goes through a quart of oil every 500 miles or so.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #139
Impureclient
Banned

Quote:
When I say I'm a professional driver, I mean I have a commercial license and have taken extensive training for that license. I pay more for the license too. Every two years I have to have a physical exam and drug test. I am licensed for the seniors that I drive in a 21 passenger van. So yes, I am a professional driver. I can PM you a scan of my commercial drivers license, my Medical Examiners Certificate, and a very nice picture of the Ford F-350 21 passenger van that I drive two days a week for senior housing. I take the job very seriously - and I really like the seniors that entrust their safety to me. By the way, that Ford F-350 has the V-10 engine in it - It's a piece of crap that goes through a quart of oil every 500 miles or so.
We'll also need a copy of your birth certificate, social security card and current color photo of yourself in your favorite outfit to verify anything that you are saying here is truthful.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #140
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I just hope you're following the rules like you say and staying on the far right lane.

Thing's I have discovered in my "professional" driving career.

Rules for multi-lane roads.
1. Stay with the speed of traffic.
2. If you can't, stay to the right.

General Rule.
1. Drive within what the conditions allow.
2. Read that again.

As cars have become safer and tire technology had improved the speed at which we can drive safely has definitely gone up.

Would I do 65 in torrential rain?
Hell no.
On a sunny day? Yes.

EDIT: I also fall into the category where if I get caught speeding, I suck it up and accept it.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-11-2019), winstonscifi (02-11-2019)