follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #15
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs_mikey View Post
1/22/19

Update on my valve spring recall. Picked up the car last night, making the service time 1 week and some hours for me. Car runs smooth, while the engine was out I took the opportunity to get my throw out bearing and spark plugs replaced. Happy with my recall experience so far, will update if anything comes up in the future.
Smart for sure!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:36 AM   #16
frs_mikey

Drives: White 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2/1/2019 | Perrin intake serviced & reinstalled

Came home to a cleaning kit for my perrin intake!

I know that the stock air box is the most efficient, but after having this intake for ~2 years, I can't switch back. I had to switch to stock before I brought my car in for the valve spring recall and I waited 2 weeks in case I had to bring it back. I also just prefer how much cleaner the engine bay is without all the air boxes and resonators.

Last edited by frs_mikey; 02-18-2019 at 04:29 AM.
frs_mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #17
frs_mikey

2/16/2019 | Raceseng shift knob comparison

(After writing this, I rambled about a lot of useless stuff, enjoy)

I've always wondered about little things like this that don't actually matter, so I've decided to take matters into my own hands. Don't take this as a serious write up, as all of my "data" I collected was all measured by feel and written down in my mental notes with no kind of control group or real test conditions...

Shift knob knowledge: (somewhat limited)
- Stock (~2 years use)
- Raceseng prolix (~2 years use) & contour (~2 months use)

Misc: Car currently has stock shift springs, bushings, and transmission mount.
Motul 75w-90 transmission oil is a few years old with somewhere around 10k miles on it.
I also have Raceseng's reverse lockout, which shouldn't affect shift feeling, but I will list it here anyways.

I'll be comparing two Raceseng shift knobs that I couldn't decide between one or the other (that I actually purchased): prolix and contour. They are similar in the sense that they are weighted and share the same sphere profile & diameter. They differ by 30mm in height and 185 grams in weight. It's also worth noting that the prolix has an edge at the top of the knob while the contour has a smooth, consistent curve. (Difference visible in the following diagrams, taken from respective product pages.)

Prolix:

Contour:

I will say that this difference is obvious when grabbing the shift knobs and trying to feel for it, but when actually driving my hand rarely touches the top of the knobs long enough to notice.

Prolix section:
In theory, the taller shift knob would increase the distance from the pivot (shift linkage stuff under the shift boot), giving you more leverage when shifting. This is especially true with the prolix design with a large amount of it's weight being concentrated at the top of the knob, furthest from the pivot point. I found said theory to be true. Using the prolix, it takes less effort to get the car into gear, especially in low temps (Ambient ~35F). At operating temps, (I have no idea to be honest. Ambient >70F? Freeway driving for an hour?) the prolix paired with Motul 300 gear oil is buttery smooth, almost too smooth. Shifting becomes sort of numb with this setup and you loose most notchyness when the transmission is warmed up. Could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for as a driver.
Some things to consider that apply to driving/racing: distance from shifter to wheel and the length of throw. A taller shift knob decreases the distance from your shifter and steering wheel. This decreases the amount of time you spend reaching for your shifter and the amount of time it takes you to replace your hand on the steering wheel. The 30mm difference may not seem that big on paper, but I find myself having to reach a bit farther for 5th and 6th gear with the contour (I have short arms).
Now talking about length of throw... That's the part about the prolix, or abnormally tall shift knobs in general, that kinda sucks. The increased distance from the pivot makes the distance from 1st gear resting and 2nd gear resting further as well. Thus, increasing overall shifting distance. (I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct term, correct me if i'm wrong)

Contour section:
The contour is special because it retains the stock shift knob height, but weighs almost exactly 2.5x as much. (198g stock vs 500g contour -> 2.525x as much) The height of the knob allows the shifts to be quick and the increased weight helps combat notchyness and cold transmission fluid. I've only used the contour for a short period of time, but it's really of grown on me.
With the contour, your hand is grabbing the sphere shape which is about where the threading is. (Unlike on the prolix, the sphere is at the end of the extended body which houses the shift threads) I feel a lot more of the transmission with the contour than with the prolix or stock knob and I love it. It makes shifting more crisp and I feel more connected with the car. (This is also clearly drawn out in Raceseng's diagrams of both shift knobs.)

Where both shift knobs absolutely suck:
Temperature. But that's only because they're solid stainless steel, they'll absorb heat from sitting in the sun, they'll get super cold if you park outside and drive in the morning.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of these shift knobs. Lately I've been carrying both in the car and swapping them depending on my mood (and how bad the temperature is). I really like how the contour looks and feels, but I've gotten really used to the abnormal prolix after running it for ~2 years.

Outside of the comparison, I've gotten a lot of comments about the prolix being kind of... phallic... mostly from women/girls.

TLDR;
Prolix = Easier, but slower to shift, closer to wheel, soggy-floppy-wet noodle on stock shift springs. Looks kind of funny...
Contour = "Harder", but faster to shift, further from wheel, okay on stock shift springs. Looks tame. Looks right. Feels even better.

Last edited by frs_mikey; 02-18-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 AM   #18
frs_mikey

2/17/2019 | Track Prep!

Made the last minute decision to attend the first 86drive challenge event of the year at Thunder Hill East! I didn't have much to do, but I checked all my fluids, brakes, and tires for starters. I swapped my track pipe & passenger side cover back on today so I don't have to cram everything in Friday night.

I stuck a new helmet visor on that I got from Narita dogfight a few months ago. It's mainly for aesthetics, but it does go a bit lower than the visor that was on it from Zamp. I found this to be my optimal mounting setup for pov footage with my hero 5 session. I tried using a J-hook setup on the lower mount, (seen in cockpit picture) but the angle was too low and only saw up to the dash. Setting it any higher would block my vision, so I went back to my top mount setup.

Earlier in the week, I picked up another stock tow hook from someone parting out their car. Then I proceeded to add some rice power to "make them easier to spot for tow truck operators." The picture was taken between coats after I let the first 2 dry over night, but the last didn't come out too clean. It was started raining while I was spraying the last coat, so I guess moisture got into it and it bubbled up.

The Following User Says Thank You to frs_mikey For This Useful Post:
Lococholo84 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #19
frs_mikey

2/27/2019 | Post track day (2/23)

Second track day with SpeedSF and 86DRIVE challenge at Thunderhill East was a success! I had a rough start and spun out off track between turns 10 & 11 my first session because I pushed it too hard when car & track were cold. Unfortunately, my gopro didn't want to work my first two sessions, so I don't have the spin recorded. I also went straight off once going too fast and not steering enough into turn 11. I thought that I would be able to stay in 3rd and scrub speed into the uphill turn, but car said "nah" and I plowed the corner. Other than that, I made a big improvement from my first lap, 2:54.560, to my 2nd to last lap for the day, 2:25.265.

Here are videos of my 2:25 run and me off roading turn 11 :
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGmOfjHSCwM[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRX-vhr1KSo[/ame]

Overall, I enjoyed this track a lot more than I thought I would. I thought that the straights would less fun for my stock powered car on 245s, but it was really nice to go over 75mph without having to worry about cops on the freeway for a change.
My favorite part of east has to be turns 8-13 because of the up/downhill around turn 9 and all the braking and shifting you have to do to stay fast in those sections.
It was also fun getting an 86 only track session because the 86DRIVE challenge group was large enough. 29ish cars! (31 registered, 30 showed, 28 made it out alive, 2 battle damaged )
Thanks to scottgrassophotography that was there with the 86DRIVE challenge for the pictures!

I really like the hood vents on that BRZ

Nice solo shot...

I REALLY like this shot, i'll be making this my new laptop background

I met up with some old friends that were in different run groups and got to ride in their Nismo 370z and GT3. One of the drivers for the 370 (it was shared that day) said that the 5 mile is REALLY fun since it combines east + west, so i'll be looking to attend at least one event for that.

I also got ride along footage with them :
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXc3Dm7IkOg[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvCdMcyhv1w[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to frs_mikey For This Useful Post:
Takumi788 (02-27-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
frs_mikey

3/1/2019 | More pics from last weekend...

Like the title says, got more pics from last weekend. These are from the photographer, Sharplite Media. They're all taken from similar angles, but track pics are track pics.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:24 AM   #21
frs_mikey

3/5/2019 | CEL...

Driving home from school today, the CEL and slip lights came on. Popped my code reader in to see how bad it was and got P000D: cam shaft position slow response. Heard similar stories of 13's having this problem, especially after the valve spring recall being done. Hope the sensor is just damaged or bad since I won't be able to get the car looked at until Friday and i'll have to drive it from school to the dealership then...

Will update when I get more info...
Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #22
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yikes. I would replace all four of of the OCV solenoids if you can afford it (just over $100 each), the part number has been revised so make sure you get the latest one (all four are the same). I had to replace one of mine due to a broken clip but I kind of wish I did all four.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 AM   #23
frs_mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Yikes. I would replace all four of of the OCV solenoids if you can afford it (just over $100 each), the part number has been revised so make sure you get the latest one (all four are the same). I had to replace one of mine due to a broken clip but I kind of wish I did all four.
I took it back to the dealership that did my recall since they were just in my engine. I also have some kind of extended warranty through carmax that covers power train work, so I let them take it in. I'll be covered whether it's the dealer's fault or just my engine tanking.
They told me that it might be the cam gears and that they're a known issue on 13s, so we'll see. I did mention to check the sensors/solenoids since they can easily be damaged, especially when taking the motor out. But they kinda brushed it off and insisted that it's something inside. The car was driving fine since Tuesday. The CEL even went away when I started the car this morning, but came back when I got onto the freeway...
Old 03-18-2019, 02:52 AM   #24
frs_mikey

3/17/2019 | Update on CEL

Car is okay! Took it back to the dealership that did my valve spring recall and they said that they swapped my L+R cam actuators. (That's what was on the invoice?) Anyways, CEL is gone. Still need to put some miles in to make sure it's all good. The first time, everything was okay until ~1100 miles after I got the car back, so fingers crossed...
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 AM   #25
frs_mikey

3/17/2019 | Porsche GT3 brake ducts

This is slightly rice, buuuut it's made for a GT3. GT3s are performance monsters, so this makes my car a performance monster.

Don't know how effective these are on brake temps, but this is a relatively cheap mod that shouldn't have any downsides. Last track day I was experiencing some slight pad fade and the red finish on the outside of my TRD pads looked a bit browned from heat. My passenger side duct rubs on the inner caliper at full lock turning left, but it's nothing major.
The ducts are at the lowest point in the front, but honestly I don't even think i'm low enough yet for the air to get that close to the undercarriage.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #26
frs_mikey

3/18/2019 | Will it buff out? :(

First time I get to drive my car since I got it back from getting the CEL resolved last week and I get hit in a parking lot.
Got backed into today while I was picking my sister up from school. I was completely stopped in a line of traffic to leave the parking lot (no where to go) when I saw the Mercedes starting to back out of their parking spot. I don't know how she didn't see me in her driver door mirror, but I gave her a short warning honk to let her know I was there, followed by a long honk until she actually hit me.
She tried to deny that she hit me when I first told her, then she tried offering to pay out of pocket to have my bumper fixed and not have insurance involved.

This sucks. I missed the 86drive challenge clinic yesterday since my car was down all week and now it looks like i'll be missing the third 86drive challenge event since the car will be in the paint shop.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #27
frs_mikey

3/18/2019 | In-cabin go pro mount

On a brighter note, I did get a go pro suction cup mount in the mail that I ordered yesterday. Amazon prime puts in work!
I tried going for a hot version pov, will test out... eventually...

Here is the mount in case anyone is interested. You will need a go pro tripod mount as well. Feels very sturdy out of the box, as well as when mounted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(the gopro angle is slightly different, I took this with my phone right below the gopro's lens)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #28
frs_mikey

3/21/2019 | CEL is back...

Not much to explain. Was driving around town normally and the CEL and slip lights just came back on. Car did feel slugish and possibly misfired a bit while driving, but i'm not too sure...