follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2018, 12:59 AM   #225
Rustyspoon

Drives: FR-S, XJS, C10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It took 5 years, but my studs are starting to strip now. Sigh.
Rustyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #226
m86

Drives: FRS
One of my rear wheel nuts seized. I knew something was wrong when I started undoing it since it was hard to rotate and end up seizing mid way out. No idea why, I'm sure it wasn't cross threaded, my guess is that dirt got to the threads.

Had to break it by forcing it with my long torque wrench (I know, not ideal).
A new stud was $9.25 at a Toyota dealer.

About the installation, a few things I found out that I wasn't sure about and might help someone else:
* No need to remove the hub or the hand brake thing, stock sized studs slide in easily.
* No need for special tools or washers. Just put a wheel on it and make it tight with a regular nut (with the usual 90ft/tq).
* My brake disk came off easily by screwing a M10 (or M8?) in the little holes.

Last edited by m86; 06-03-2019 at 09:11 PM.
m86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #227
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's the best way to remove a busted stud?
Just hammer it out?

Which side is a PITA to replace?
Rear wheels because of parking brakes?
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #228
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Did it snap clean off flush with the hub surface? I'd just use a punch, or even another bolt of a slightly smaller diameter, put it over the broken stud and smack it out the back.

Rear is a little more crowded, and can be complicated by needing to remove the drum which tends to rust to the hub.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #229
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon View Post
It took 5 years, but my studs are starting to strip now. Sigh.
Is this really an issue?? I searched for "2013 frs wheel stud" and all of the results were performances parts websites saying "stripped wheel studs? Try these ARP ones. It will never happen again!"

And I'm thinking "stripped wheel studs...? wut...? I've never even heard of that. Must be a weird marketing gimmick."
Seriously though - I've owned nearly 40 cars, and worked on countless others. Never heard of stripped wheel studs. Broken ones? Sure, plenty of times...which is why I'm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m86 View Post
One of my rear wheel nuts seized. I knew something was wrong when I started undoing it since it was hard to rotate and end up seizing mid way out. No idea why, I'm sure it wasn't cross threaded, my guess is that dirt got to the threads.

Had to break it by forcing it with my long torque wrench (I know, not ideal).
A new stud was $9.25 at a Toyota dealer.

About the installation, a few things I found out that I wasn't sure about and might help someone else:
* No need to remove the hub or the hand brake thing, stock sized studs slide in easily.
* No need for special tools or washers. Just put a wheel on it and make it tight with a regular nut (with the usual 90ft/tq).
* My brake disk came off easily by screwing a M10 (or M8?) in the little holes.
Wow. Nearly exact same thing happened to me. Really weird. I had never seen anything quite like it.
My FRS, like all of them, is a fairly new car. Only ~7 years old. Newest vehicle I've ever owned, but it's got some odd issues with respect to fasteners being difficult.

I was removing a front lug nut with a battery powered impact gun. 19 out of 20 came off perfectly on the first try. This one wouldn't. I tried 'rocking it' back and forth. Wouldn't budge.
I just thought the impact gun was weak, so I got out the breaker bar with a socket. Immediately sheared the lug stud.

I was beyond shocked. I hadn't broken a wheel stud in years. Maybe only 2 or 3 times in my life.
My car lived in Alabama for its first 5 years, so rust or road salt is not in question here.
And it's a closed lug nut.

Now I've got the dilemma of where to buy 1 wheel stud. I can buy a box of 10 for $8 off Rockauto, but then there's shipping...
Or I guess I could go to the dealer and have them say $12.43 and be irritated about it...

Apparently ARP wheel studs are $6 each ($30 for 5 pack), which blew my mind.

Thank you for the additional notes though, very helpful.
I was worried about the exact things you mentioned. The car I previously broke lug studs on was a complete crapbox 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. I swear the studs were made of liquid candy, and you could NOT slip them in from the back, even with generous amounts of hammering. The entire hub had to be removed. It was insane.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #230
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
Now I've got the dilemma of where to buy 1 wheel stud.

Had about 4 of mine seize and break. I used the stronger dorman brand from the autoparts store and no issues. Was a pain the first 2 times as I had my brother use a mallet. The next 2 he wasn't around so I went to harbor freight and bought the ball bearing press which is so easy to use. I also used it when putting in new brake pads, useful tool.

I did replace my wheels + lugs with open lugs ones as well, so since it seized I just bought a new set of lugs that are of the same set.

Last edited by YamahaR86; 01-08-2020 at 02:03 PM.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #231
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've had one seize and replaced it with a Dorman for $2.99 at Autozone. Seems like a win to me
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #232
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Quote:

Now I've got the dilemma of where to buy 1 wheel stud. I can buy a box of 10 for $8 off Rockauto, but then there's shipping...
Or I guess I could go to the dealer and have them say $12.43 and be irritated about it...

Both Advance Auto and Autozone have dorman wheel studs for ~$2 each. I walked in a picked up a couple the other day. They are stamped grade 10.9 so they may actually be better than OE.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...chTerm=610-566
https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...chText=6105661

edit: I see you are in the DC area, pretty much every Advance Auto in the area has them in stock.
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #233
Stomachbuzz

I believe my course of action will be going to AAP or Autozone to get one.

Dorman is complete trash in my opinion, but how hard could a wheel stud be?
Old 01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #234
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,305 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
The "problem" with Subaru lug studs breaking is usually due to being over torqued. They are made to only be torqued to around 89 ft/lb. Most shops use air or electric impacts that tighten them more than that and over time they stretch and seize or break.

They are somewhat easy to replace, and inexpensive. I have made the switch to ARP's on my track car, but in my 25 years of owning Subaru's have only had to replace maybe 3 for actual breakage. Matter of fact the 20 I took out of my BRZ I kept and use them on the rebuilds we get that have broken ones.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #235
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
The "problem" with Subaru lug studs breaking is usually due to being over torqued. They are made to only be torqued to around 89 ft/lb. Most shops use air or electric impacts that tighten them more than that and over time they stretch and seize or break.

They are somewhat easy to replace, and inexpensive. I have made the switch to ARP's on my track car, but in my 25 years of owning Subaru's have only had to replace maybe 3 for actual breakage. Matter of fact the 20 I took out of my BRZ I kept and use them on the rebuilds we get that have broken ones.
I've never had a stud failure on my cars. We have had 1 on my Mom's FXT. Part of the issue is the studs/torquing, but I think the OE lug nuts are extra soft. We have found stretched threads on many. Bad thread on lug nut+90 ft/lbs will wreck a stud really quick.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
Opie (01-09-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #236
Stomachbuzz

Helluva time getting a replacement.

Obviously (which only occurred to me at the parts counter( I need the stud and the nut.

Advance Auto Parts did not have it in stock, nor do they usually stock it.
Same story with Napa and a Toyota dealer.
Both AAP and Napa had plenty of studs for other cars, even Toyotas, but they couldn't search for one of similar length in their computers.
I could have used a 2012 Camry stud, for example, but aN FRS aftermarket parts site showed FRS studs to me 41mm, while AAP's computer showed the camry stud to be 31mm.
I thought that was odd, but decided not to risk it.

Subaru dealer had plenty in stock, FWIW
Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #237
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Quote:

Subaru dealer had plenty in stock, FWIW
Thats because its a RWD Impreza. M12x 1.25 is what subaru uses across its line since forever.
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #238
Stomachbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
Thats because its a RWD Impreza. M12x 1.25 is what subaru uses across its line since forever.
M12 x 1.25 is very common, but it's the length that is more specific